Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Science

Options
  • 22-06-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Got a crazy idea / brainwave over the weekend to do a masters or PhD in political science. I am 33, have an engineering degree, passion for politics. I would read a lot of pop science and political books.

I work in software engineering, like it but would have for more passion for politics even though I never felt inclined to joining a political party, because there was never a political party I completly agreed with.

I saw that UCD / Trinity have courses. However, since I have a morgage and full time job I may need to do this part time.

My questions are:
    1. Anybody know good options for part time options?
    2. Career choices, possibilities after this ?

If you could offer any advice I would be very grateful.

Kind Rgds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I don't think Trinity does any politics masters, but UCD do, and they all have part time options. An MA in political theory is probably what you're looking for. Normally, you need a good 2.1 degree in politics or a related subject to get in, but I'm not entirely sure about that, ask in the the postgraduate forum and you'll get a better answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Yeah, a lot of colleges require an undergraduate degree in politics or history etc. I was sort of in the smae boat as you. My BA was in Computer Science and French. I'm just finishing up doing the MA International Relations at DCU this year and planning to continue on to a phd at LSE in england. Anything is possible but given your science background I suppose you just might have to shop around a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I wouldn't mind doing a PhD somewhere like LSE or SOAS (I have an MSc in Development Studies). How are you finding the application requirements, competition, sorting things (money, life, etc.) out?
    I don't think Trinity does any politics masters, but UCD do, and they all have part time options. An MA in political theory is probably what you're looking for. Normally, you need a good 2.1 degree in politics or a related subject to get in, but I'm not entirely sure about that, ask in the the postgraduate forum and you'll get a better answer
    I toyed with the idea of doing a Politics masters in UCD (I have a Politics degree from UCD). It's definitely a very good department compared to Trinity, because it offers a largee diversity of staff expertise. But my advice would be to consider carefully what your subject focus might be; I'm not assuming as Cannibal Ox has, that theory would be your preferred option. If you're not sure, then a course where you'll be exposed to a lot of different approaches/traditions in politics would be good. It also very much depends on your academic interestes, and ideological and methodological leanings. In UCD, there are many hardcore political scientists (I'm not sure politics can be a science), comparative politics theorists, some historical theorists, a strong strand of European politics and some good international relations people. Some people interested in critical international political economy, for example, might find it difficult for their ideas to gain traction in this department because it's not fully accepted by the established UCD old guard. There's a few social constructivists, though.

Advertisement