Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map Software update, copy between devices?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 and my Dad has a Nuvi 250W. We both got the Map update (2008 City Navigator) free from Garmin but my GPS got knicked and I had to buy a replacement. >:(
    Problem is the replacement has the old map software & the CD with the updates will only work with the one device and a replacement costs €79!! :(
    Does anyone know if it will work if I clone the 250W "hard disk" and copy it to the 250 in order have the updated software put on it?
    It would be relatively easy to do it, but just dont want to knacker a new nuvi.
    Advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

I ask beacause they seem to be pretty good with their software security & was thinking the updated map software might be serial number specific or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Register the replacement Nuvi, tell them you purchased it on March 1st 2008 and ask for a map update which you will get for free.

I wouldn't do a mass copy from one unit to another, it probably won't work.

YEah. Might try ringing them alright. Anyone know the number?

Europe
    (for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Hours of Operation
    Monday - Friday
    8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    U.K. time
    Phone
    Free 0808 238 0000 (within U.K.)
    0870-8501242 (within U.K.)
    +44-870-8501242 (outside U.K.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

hey there what gb is the new map ?

if its under 2 gb you can buy an sd card off ebay for less than 10 euro
    copy the contents of the cd on to the sd card