Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom Brackets...

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

What's the differcence between English and Italian threads in a bottom bracket, and how do you know which one you've got (I have a Focus Variado Expert that I want to upgrade the groupset on and don't know which version of BB to get!)

Also, am finding out that for many things, Cyclesuperstore has good prices -wheels and gear stuff seem to be as cheap as online -strange that, as I'd never usually compare prices there thinking they were mad expensive :)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

English threaded are 68mm wide, Italian 70mm. English are left hand threaded on the drive side. Italian are right hand threaded on both sides.

I can't find anywhere which states which BB your Focus has, but it's more than likely its English as only Italian manufacturers generally use Italian. Is it not written on your BB?

Cycle Superstore isn't bad at all for prices, but I'd usually only buy from them instore. Ordering online I've found to be a bit slow. Often their site would list stuff as in stock, only for it not to be. I spoke to them about this and they said there was nothing they could do for the moment as the online shop isn't linked to their stock system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yep Cyclesuperstore are about as cheap as any of the online places for wheels and shimano groupset parts anyway. Other parts you can shop around for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

If it helps, English thread is the ISO standard so it may say ISO on your BB shell.

Sheldon has a few good bits of advice on BBs which can be a minefield:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

If you want a direct match for you existing one by far the easiest way is to take it to a shop and compare with others (or get them to tell you).

If you want to do it the hard way:
    1. unscrew your existing BB and note which way the sides unscrew
    2. measure the axle length
    3. If it is a square taper BB then you need to figure out if it is ISO or JIS as if you get the wrong one your chainring will be too far in or out. It should be obvious enough from the first Sheldon link above

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My own Focus is English thread, I am sure yours is the same. You shouldn't have to disassemble to confirm this - there should be an arrow indicating the tightening direction visible- if this is anti-clockwise on the drive side, it's English. My own one is also labeled "BSA" (which stands for "Birmingham Small Arms" - now that I did not know before today) which = English thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    My own Focus is English thread, I am sure yours is the same. You shouldn't have to disassemble to confirm this - there should be an arrow indicating the tightening direction visible- if this is anti-clockwise on the drive side, it's English. My own one is also labeled "BSA" (which stands for "Birmingham Small Arms" - now that I did not know before today) which = English thread.

Didn't know that about BSA either -mental!

Thanks for that tip, it's nice and easy and I do indeed have English thread on my BB -now all I need is the cash for the Ultegra SL one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thanks for that tip, it's nice and easy and I do indeed have English thread on my BB -now all I need is the cash for the Ultegra SL one :)

I have a new Dura Ace bottom bracket I could sell to you at a discount if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    I have a new Dura Ace bottom bracket I could sell to you at a discount if you're interested.

I may well have to take you up on that offer!

I may well have to take you up on that offer!

Grand job. PM me when you're ready.

Advertisement