Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DIY: replacing to a ALDI mp3 car stereo

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have VW polo fitted with a radio-cassette stereo system.
    i wanted to buy this ALDI mp3 car stereo as its just 70euros.

is it easy to remove my old stereo and put back the new stereo?

i am no good in car things - new driver

if this is not for a DIY, then how much a garage guy charge for replacing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, car electics is a thing that you have to be able to do with confidence....you don't want to toast your jammer.
    drop into Halfords and check out their range as they'll quote to fit a stereo for you too.
    Those Aldi stereos arent great anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

most car steroes are fairly easy to change around and can be literally swapped in and out in 1 minute (at least that was the case with the 4 radios I'VE CHANGED THUS FAR).

Sometimes you will need a different adapter for power or for your radio arial, however these are widely available to buy for no more than about €10-€15 in total in halfords IF you need them.

Also, nothing wrong with those ALDI stereos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

miju wrote: »
    Sometimes you will need a different adapter for power or for your radio arial, however these are widely available to buy for no more than about €10-€15 in total in halfords IF you need them.

A lot of the ALDI radios include these adapters iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your not sure on the wiring the best thing to do is get a wiring adapter as recommended above.

The ALDI stereo will have ISO connections on it, one connector is for power, the other is for speakers. Maybe some of the others here will know if your car has ISO connectors, or if you'll need a wiring adapter from halfords/ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Also, nothing wrong with those ALDI stereos

Correction; I said they were not great, i never said that there was "something or nothing wrong with them"
    I would ask for you to please don't try and put words in my mouth going forwards Miju.:mad:

Its like everything in life, you pay for what you get.
    End of.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's usually quite easy, especially if your car's original stereo is the same size as the new one (normally Din sized).

As stated earlier, you can get an iso connector so it's just a case of disconnecting previous plug and plugging in new one.

I'd recommend having a look at a volkswagen forum, i'll bet that someone there will have done this and posted questions earlier about it.

This may help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I would ask for you to please don't try and put words in my mouth going forwards Miju.:mad:

"going forwards" you might want to relax a bit more there Tonto.

No words were put (or quoted) in your mouth for that matter. I was giving MY opinion plain and simple.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have had an Aldi headunit for about 18 months, perfect quality and nice and subtle too. Does the lot: mp3, ipod and hands free calling.

I got way more than I paid for, similar unit in Halfrauds was about 2.5 times the price.

Simple job to put in, once you get the original unit out it's easy, just use the connectors, no wiring as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

"going forwards" you might want to relax a bit more there Tonto.

Ya would think with over 1000 posts he would understand what discussions, especially ones on forums, are like :eek: Woke up on the wrong side of the bed me thinks.

As a few already said, it's a doddle to do. If the connections don't match up, have a look for an adaptor in the box. The radio should fix snug into the hole where you took out the old one. Although my mams CD changer sticks out.. :(

Advertisement