Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia 2001, service recomended the following repairs.

Options
  • 22-06-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I took my car a Skoda Fabia 2001 1.4L petrol to a Skoda dealer for a service on 90,000 M.

The service came in as expected in terms of cost etc. however the have told me I need the following repairs.

Alternator Belt
    Front prob
    Rear shock stop buffers
    Wish bone bushes
    Timing chain seal and gasket

Also my clutch needs work.

Now I know the clutch is going, the pedal is almost fully released when it engages. I and driving with this fault and have done more than 5K with it like this.

The Timing chain i thought was a item that lasts for the life of the engine.
    In fact when i brought the car to the same dealer for it's previous service the timing chain was mentioned to me. That time the dealer said it was a life time part and the only reason to change would be if the rattle/noise became an issue for me.

So I'm looking for some advice on what to do, how much of the above work should be completed ASAP or can i put it on the long finger until finances improve.

Could any one suggest an estimated price for the above work.

Thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask the dealer for an estimate.

What's a front prob?

They are not suggesting changing the timing chain, only a seal and gasket.

Personally I'd get it all done, and quickly too. Minimise your costs where possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi Henry

Thanks for your feed back.
    Ask the dealer for an estimate.
    They gave me one, but I have mislaid it.
    What's a front prob?
    I have no idea, thought some one here might know.
    They are not suggesting changing the timing chain, only a seal and gasket.
    I'm pretty sure that they were suggesting changing the timing chain, the seal and the gasket.

Thanks,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Is there any adjustment for the free play in the clutch pedal? guess not if so it should have been done as part of the service, also i would have changed the belt as an service item

How do you rate the fabia after 90K mls ? Will be buying a car for my daughter in the next couple of weeks & still loooking around .

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

snowman707 wrote: »
    Is there any adjustment for the free play in the clutch pedal? guess not if so it should have been done as part of the service, also i would have changed the belt as an service item
    I didn't have any budget left after the cost of the basic service.
    The stuff is still outstanding and i'll need to get it looked at.
    Just wondering what to prioritise, as i can live with the clutch for a while, i think.
    snowman707 wrote: »
    How do you rate the fabia after 90K mls ? Will be buying a car for my daughter in the next couple of weeks & still loooking around .

I like the car, never let me down. The clutch issue is of my own making (pulling a heave load.)

I have the sedan model which makes it feel like a bigger car, with the boot.
    when i upgrade it I'll be looking first for the same car just newer.

Thanks,
    Eoin

Advertisement