Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me what to eat.

• 22-06-2008 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Right. I am sorted now with a fridge in work but no microwave or cooking/heating stuff yet.
    My belly is getting bigger and I don't want it to. I know my diet is absolutley atrocious and I want to make some serious changes. I have started eating yogurt for breakfast, but I still feel i need my 1-2 bits of toast to feel full. Morning snack at the moment is SPK_minibreaks_orig.jpg which is 100 calories per bag. I don't know if counting calories has gone out of fashion yet, but 100 is ok isn't it? Fruit just doesnt do it for me. I dont feel satisfied after eating it. As far as lunch goes, I always see people suggesting tuna this and tuna that. Well I hate tuna. What do you suggest I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Basic rule is to eat small frequent meals (three meals and three snacks), each witha quality protein, a healthy fat and a green vegetable. No transfats, white flour, sugar or processed foods.

Yes, people still count calories, and 100 cals is low, but Special K is a classic example of what NOT to eat, it's full of sugar and processed junk. It will send your insulin levels sky high without providing any good protein or fats. Try a handful of raw nuts or one of those Good4U bags of seeds instead.

Tuna is not the only fish. There's also salmon, and sardines, and mackerel, and prawns and crab. Or you could have chicken or ham. If you have a microwave at work, just cook extra for dinner and reheat for lunch. Or buy a bag of washed salad and eat it with your fish or chicken etc.

As a suggestion, how about a big mushroom or herb omlette for breakfast? That will fill you up a lot better than a pot of yogurt.
    Snack: nuts or seeds.
    Lunch: fish or chicken and lots of salad.
    Snack: pot yogurt and an apple.
    Dinner: steak and broccoli and caulilflower, maybe a small potato.
    Supper: cottage cheese and peanut butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

NOt a huge fish fan at all to be honest, but I like prawns and crab. I'll give them a shot. Also, I have some pitta breads and hummous and pesto and tomatoes. They would be better than a sandwich, right?

Pitta is still bread. There's some debate over whether it is lower gi than other breads, but it's still made with white flour or white white with a sprinkle of brown to make it look better. If you must have something made from grains, try Ryvita or Finn Crispbreads.

Hummous is a reasonable addition to a lunchtime salad, tomatoes are great. Pesto can be good, but watch the amounts. It's a good healthy oil, but it's easy to use too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

WindSock wrote: »
    NOt a huge fish fan at all to be honest, but I like prawns and crab. I'll give them a shot. Also, I have some pitta breads and hummous and pesto and tomatoes. They would be better than a sandwich, right?

Better (generally) than a sandwich, and a salad full of greens, vegetables, seeds and maybe some egg or other protein would be even better.

Small changes will reap big rewards so how's about natural yoghurt with fruit for breakfast and a slice of rye bread for breakfast, snack on fruit and/ or nuts, and main meals are meat or fish, lots of veg and some wholemeal pasta or basmati rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sorry, you have probably been asked this a million times before, but how is Basmati rice any different to any other rice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 dymondz

Do try get a microwave if you can. I find it great for heating up dinner from the evening before. Also in winter you can heat up soup.

Try hard boiled eggs for a snack, they are lovely real cold from the fridge and keep you full for ages.

Sorry, you have probably been asked this a million times before, but how is Basmati rice any different to any other rice?

Supposed to taste better and cook quicker. Nutionally, I don't think there's much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Basmati is lower on the glycemic index than white rice and so is much slower to absorb and will help you feel fuller longer.

Advertisement