Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do Spurs need to break 4th?

• 22-06-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Next Years Squad here:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/team/0,19734,11675,00.html

+ dos Santos
    + Modric

First team looking like this:

Robinson
    --Hutton--Woodgate---King----Bale---
    --Lennon--Modric--Zokora---Dos Santos
    Keane---Berbatov

Defence Cover: CHimbonda, Gilberto, Dawson, Young-Pyo, Kaboul
    Midfield Cover: Jenas, Malbranque, Boeteng, O'Hara, Huddlestone, Taniom,
    Striker Cover:

That's a bloody good first team. He might even find a way to play Jenas as well, who seems to be rejuvenated under Ramos.
    Weakest positions there are DMC and RW. They seem to be after Bentley which would really add to them. Haven't heard many links about a DMC.

If they sell Berbatov, they need sombody of close to equal quality. Somebody like Villa is a possibility as Spurs have the cash.

Either way, keep Berbatov or replace him, and the only things they need to work on are,

New CB when when King gets injuried
    New Goalkeeper
    Better DMC

After that, they really have a fantastic first team and squad with quality all over. Most importantly they had what they were missing last year, a real quality play maker in Modric

I think that team can push up to 70 points, which for most seasons would be enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Join the SPL :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

A Miracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

First of all we have no idea how Modric is going to adapt to England.
    I'd say his first few months he'll be anonymous in most games as he'll be bashed about because of his size. After Christmas is when I'm seeing him come good.

Aswell cant see Spurs breaking the top four. Beat Evertone and Liverpool twice this season, and maybe one of the top three or some draws and maybe. But I'm seeing mid table mediocrity for Spurs this season...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I honestly think just a world class keeper and they'll be in the top 4 next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    Somebody like Villa is a possibility as Spurs have the cash.

Interestingly enough, SSN are reporting that Spurs have agreed a 20Million deal for Villa.

Berb on the move?

United?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Lennon could be gone soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Weren't they tipped to challenge for a top four spot this time last season? Look what happened then.

Even with dos Santos and Modric they won't do it. Everton still pose the biggest threat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

DesF wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, SSN are reporting that Spurs have agreed a 20Million deal for Villa.

Berb on the move?

United?

I can't see it happening. Didn't Villa say he'd rather go to Real Madrid or Barcelona than an English team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They are strongly rumoured to be on the verge of signing Bentley as well. I think they have a cracking first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If Robinson remains in goals we'll be lucky to finish top 6. A new keeper is essential.

King is finished IMO so a top class replacement for him is a must.

Chimbonda, Dawson, Lee, Kaboul, Huddlestone and Tanio are all likely to be sold.

Lennon could be off also (as part of a possible deal for Bentley) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenas used on the right if that deal doesn't come good with Lennon dropped to the bench.

We won't break the top 4, but IMO nobody will.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »

They are re-reporting a Mirror story that garnered four lines in today's edition.

Not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well to be honest, I personally think Berbatov is off to United and United are just waiting until Spurs gets a replacement. It's the most telegraphed move since Hargreaves to United.

But they are going to replace him, and even if they don't, Bent is still a great player if you can get him to play.

IMO realistically they are going to sign a RW and a CB, and a replacement for Berbatov (like, if you have Keane Bent and Berbatov, are you really after Villa aswell?)

If that happens, the only thing that will matter is whether or not Ramos can find a system to compete, and he's shown in Spain that he can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

New CB when when King gets injuried
    New Goalkeeper
    Better DMC

2 good CBs at the least. One the long term replacement for King, or rather short term as he'll get crocked again after about 5 games. Another the inevitable cover for Woodgate, who most seem to be forgetting is just marginally less injury prone than King. Dawson isn't good enough to even warm the bench imo.

one the midfield front, i think they should be getting in a better DMC than Zakora, possibly two as I don't rate Zakora. They at least need another who they can bring on in the closing stages of a match to stifle the opposition and protect a lead, and to give them the option to actually play compact once in a while.

new goalkeeper goes without saying.

and i also think they may need another winger. Dos Santos is unproven, to rely on him for a whole season so soon will be something of a gamble. Lennon hasn't lived up to expectations, and doesn't look good enough to match Tottenham's ambitions imo.

they also need cover for Keane and Berbatov, assuming Berbatov stays that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Well to be honest, I personally think Berbatov is off to United and United are just waiting until Spurs gets a replacement. It's the most telegraphed move since Ronaldo to Madrid

Fixed for you.

I think what Spurs really need (and my own Newcastle) is a proper leader. I know Robbie is not a bad lad, but they need someone now to stand up and be counted for, as Spurs always seem to go on a hairy run, and all to often the players look a little lost during those games. Woodgate might be the man, but if they could sign a top class DMC, they might be the person for the job.

I know because of the whole Arsenal connection it would never happen, but I think Pat Viera could be a great addition for Spurs. Much like Davids was a few seasons back, and McAllister was for Liverpool. He could be the man to take them to the top 4, and then once they are there, they will have the clout to sign a world class replacement for him, as he probably only has 2 good seasons left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

A Miracle

+1

You can't count king in that starting 11 as he is becoming almost as good as harry kewell for bleeding a club of their money. The chap is too injury prone and can't be counted on for the season.

Your goalie needs replacing asap. robinson has lost confidence and may struggle net season.

Also DMC is a defintie area where improvement is need. Aren't modric and zokora attacking not all out attacking but bout like dribble. I don't watch spurs so i can't say they are attacking for sure. Neither of them too are players who can command a midfield a key area where games are won and lost.

Modric may well be first choice, but dos santos is young as said here by another poster and Ramos will only be looking to give him experience for the following season...

I know because of the whole Arsenal connection it would never happen, but I think Pat Viera could be a great addition for Spurs. Much like Davids was a few seasons back, and McAllister was for Liverpool. He could be the man to take them to the top 4, and then once they are there, they will have the clout to sign a world class replacement for him, as he probably only has 2 good seasons left.

Vieira's crocked. he's a shadow of the player he once was, possibly the most rapid decline of a world renowned player in the past few decades. he can't get anywhere near the pace of the premiership anymore, he'd be a terrible acqusition for comeone challenging for the top4... staving of relegation maybe...

stick-dan wrote: »
    Also DMC is a defintie area where improvement is need. Aren't modric and zokora attacking not all out attacking but bout like dribble. I don't watch spurs so i can't say they are attacking for sure. Neither of them too are players who can command a midfield a key area where games are won and lost.

You don't watch Spurs but can draw conclusions on Zokora and Modric? I'll assume you watch loads of Croatia/Ivory Coast/Zagreb/Genk/St Etienne matches so.

For an "attacking" player Zokora scores goals at a rate of 1 in 80+ league appearances, and he's never scored in 72 international appearances...:D

Vieira's crocked. he's a shadow of the player he once was, possibly the most rapid decline of a world renowned player in the past few decades. he can't get anywhere near the pace of the premiership anymore, he'd be a terrible acqusition for comeone challenging for the top4... staving of relegation maybe...

I would disagree with you.

Yeah, he mighn't have the pace to be the box to box player that he was for Arsenal, but under the right manager, he could be moulded into a DMC as he has all the attributes needed for that position. Also, his leadership and experience would be a big asset to a team like Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Dos Santos is nowhere near good enough to be a regular in a side that is of top 4 quality....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I bet Modric is played on the wing.

• Advertisement

I would disagree with you.

Yeah, he mighn't have the pace to be the box to box player that he was for Arsenal, but under the right manager, he could be moulded into a DMC as he has all the attributes needed for that position. Also, his leadership and experience would be a big asset to a team like Spurs.

how? he was always an attack minded player when he was younger? he's not going to be able to change his role overnight, he hasn't the positioning sense. if he had a better range of passing you might be able to play him deeper a la Scholes at Utd, but i can't see how this is possible with Vieira. his strengths were always his forward runs, which he struggles to make these days...

how? he was always an attack minded player when he was younger? he's not going to be able to change his role overnight, he hasn't the positioning sense. if he had a better range of passing you might be able to play him deeper a la Scholes at Utd, but i can't see how this is possible with Vieira. his strengths were always his forward runs, which he struggles to make these days...

The Viera I know was a brilliant passer of the ball, remember all those through balls he fed Henry? And he was more than capable to throw in a tackle.

But I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

his strengths were always his forward runs, which he struggles to make these days...

Have to agree, would be a backward step by Spurs to sign Viera.

Not sure who would be a good option to anchor the midfield, I liked the look of Senna for Spain in the Euros but would need to see a lot more of him to make a call ether way, and I don't even know if he can play that role???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

All they need is luck. They have the manager, they have the team, they have the fans, all they need is a lucky break. Personally, I think breaking the top 4 is easier than people think. In the past 5 years, it would have been done twice bar a case of bad cooking, by Everton and Spurs.

The only real obstacle now for Spurs, is that before there was only 1 team looking for the 4th place every season, now you have at least 4

Have to agree, would be a backward step by Spurs to sign Viera.

Not sure who would be a good option to anchor the midfield, I liked the look of Senna for Spain in the Euros but would need to see a lot more of him to make a call ether way, and I don't even know if he can play that role???

He's playing at Villareal, who have automatically qualified for the CL this season, coming in 2nd... His team is almost guaranteed to be fighting for La Liga next season... Why would he leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If that team was put out Spurs would be slaughtered.
    Dos Santos and Lennon in the same team? It'd be liking playing the U-12s.

eZe^ wrote: »
    He's playing at Villareal, who have automatically qualified for the CL this season, coming in 2nd... His team is almost guaranteed to be fighting for La Liga next season... Why would he leave?

I didn't know I'd been appointed director of football at Spurs, thanks for the promotion! I've a few days off my day job so might pop on a plane to the Euros and try tie up a deal.

Fcuk me, all I said was I like the look of him...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

To be honest, unless there are some major buys at the Emirates this season, I think a keeper and a new CB would have us in a challenging position.

I didn't know I'd been appointed director of football at Spurs, thanks for the promotion! I've a few days off my day job so might pop on a plane to the Euros and try tie up a deal.

Fcuk me, all I said was I like the look of him...:(

Apologies... :p

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    To be honest, unless there are some major buys at the Emirates this season, I think a keeper and a new CB would have us in a challenging position.

In fairness, we heard all this last season.

Spurs are there or thereabouts (perhaps Everton are better placed) the best placed team at present of any of the teams outside the top 4 to make the leap.

However, as much as this will be contingent on their performances, they will also need either Arsenal or Liverpool to seriously slip up.

People can say Arsenal have a lost a player or two, and haven't signed anyone, but this was the exact same argument put forward last season, and look at the season Arsenal had. That group of players now have gained significant experience as a unit, and have been involved in a title challenge. Also don't underestimate Wenger in the market, he always pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Perhaps what could tip the balance is who, between Liverpool and Spuds, will capture Villa's signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool arent in for Villa. And he wouldnt go to Spurs.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Liverpool arent in for Villa. And he wouldnt go to Spurs.

Didn't realise you had the inside track on all of Liverpool's and Spurs dealings.

dont worry about it, common mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Lennon is a really good player? I know he's about 2ft 4 and weighs less than most 8-year-old girls, but what I've seen of him makes him think he's as good as David Bentley.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Lennon is a really good player? I know he's about 2ft 4 and weighs less than most 8-year-old girls, but what I've seen of him makes him think he's as good as David Bentley.

he has the potential to be a good player, but i've rarely if ever seen an end poduct from him. he seems to make one decent contribution every few games then disappear for the rest. he'd no doubt be a star for one of the smaller teams, but for a club with the ambitions of Tottenham he's far too inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

I fully believe that Spurs are going to run Liverpool to the wire for fourth this season. To be honest I think Kings race is ran (as good as he is/was, he's just unrelaible to get a good run of games), Richard Dunne would be a good replacement if he's looking to leave city ... that would seriously tighten up Spurs at the back. Also Cerny > Robinson IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tom65 wrote: »

He was incredibly good when he trusted himself to take a player on, he hasn't performed for the last 2 seasons though. I still think he's grand in that position but Bentley has been performing so I'd be happy to see him come aboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Not bothered reading through 3 pages of replies so this has probably been said already, but I reckon they need to stop making such wholesale changes to their side every season. When they finally decide to stick with some players then maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Where are spurs getting all this money?,last I heard the company that owns them was up **** creek.

I reckon if they dont start making a dent in the league etc they will be in serious trouble financially.I dont think their owners ar gona persue the abramovich model.Where it doesnt matter if you lose money.

example being modrik has not impressed me at all and looks to light weight to be a good prem player.If he doesnt work out thats 30 mill in 2 years wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah they've wasted alot of money. 16 million on Darren Bent has to go down as one of the worst value for money transfers I've seen. And something tells me they won't give him a chance to justify it this season either. He'll be sold at a much lower price and the next highly-rated player will be signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They are a pretty profitable club. They have very high ticket prices and a packed out stadium every week.

dc69 wrote: »
    Where are spurs getting all this money?,last I heard the company that owns them was up **** creek.

*sigh*

Joe Lewis, the man behind ENIC, lost roughly £750m when Bear Stearns went tits up, he's still worth another £3bn or so. None of that matters to Spurs as a PLC, as the club is well run in itself and doesn't rely on injections of cash from ENIC.

The most recent Deloitte Money Table put us in 11th place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League#Full_listing on €153.6m. Search for the recent thread on football finances and you'll see the figures for TV money, revenue vs wages, sponsorship, ticket sales etc are extremely positive.

You could count the number of PL clubs that are better run in business terms on one hand (and I dare say you could have lost a few fingers in an industrial accident as well)

As for the possibility of financial trouble, with our wage structure and the other income streams I would say we'd comfortably survive a couple of years out of Euro competition before we'd have to cut back.

They are a pretty profitable club. They have very high ticket prices and a packed out stadium every week.

3rd highest bums on seats for league games IIRC, plus season ticket prices starting around the £700 mark.

Spurs recieve more for their shirt sponsors than Liverpool.

Reason 2,234,653 that Parry should have been sacked years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

if you play modric in the centre of midfield, you will need a top quality defensive midfielder beside him. he doesnt track back at all, so you'd need someone who can just sit there and break up attacks, like makelele did in his prime. Zokora isnt up to that, so unless they sign someone to do that, modric will start out on the wing, like malbranque played for the last few years.

i dont think ledley king will play another game of football for spurs, that was the reason they were after Dunne. the chap is plagued with injuries and i reckon that he will retire in the summer.

if berbatov goes, it could be a massive loss, as they will need to sign someone who can get you 20 goals a season and his assists pretty much straight away.

Dos santos is a talent but i cant see him starting that many games straight away.

if anyone will break 4th, it will be everton or villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theyll need 16 teams to drop out of the premiership

they wont be top 6 next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For spurs to develop into a top 4 side, they need to stop waiting around for King to be fit again and sign another top quality defender to partner Woodgate. Until that happens or King is able to remain fit in the long term, they won't be able to make the stop up no matter who they sign up top.

Their weakness was not in their ability upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

I think it is a big ask for Spurs to crack the top 4 this year because we will be playing with mostly a new midfield I think. From what I understand from a genuine "in the know" that I've read Berbs isn't looking to leave at the moment so that's a great boost if our front 2 stays the same, and it's as good a partnership as any in the Premiership.

We are getting a new goalkeeper as Robinson has been an absolute disgrace, the worst in the Premiership last year in my opinion. We don't know who it will be but if it is Gomez from PSV whom it has been rumoured then we will have an amazing goalie who catches everything in the air (diametrically opposed to Robbo there) and has an unreal throw out.

Our defence will be entirely different to the one that started last season. Bale is at left back and a wonderful player, Hutton at right back has looked good, Woodgate who was a brilliant signing, and King who we hope will be fit. Dawson isn't good enough I don't think, and we are looking to send Kaboul on loan and ship out Rocha and Gardner, Dervitte might provide some cover. Our 1st choice defence would be very good, but it depends on the new keeper and having King fit.

Our midfield is the big change. I don't think any of last year's crop are good enough for a top 4 side starting place. They drove poor Berbs mad. Lennon is not a footballer he's a sprinter (though Ramos wants to work on him). Malbranque has heart but no pace, no passing ability, and gets the ball stuck under his feet whenever he tries to dribble. Jenas is just a twat who has all the ability but no heart - the opposite of Malbranque - and he doesn't give a damn. Zokora can be frustrating but I've seen him put in some great performances. Huddlestone has great passing but that's it, too limited and immobile for a central midfielder in the Premiership.

We will have Modric as our playmaker, we are trying to buy a defensive midfielder but if we don't get one Zokora will play. Santos will probably play on the left, and it looks like it will be Bentley on the right. It will take time to gel but that will be a good midfield if our defensive midfielder can step up and do a good job.

Arsenal are losing their players left and right for some reason, Clichy, Hleb, and Adebayor (if he leaves) will be massive losses as they were all great last season. Rafa will almost certainly fail to deliver with Liverpool again and waste more money on dodgy wingers he has no intention of playing.

I think the answer to what do Spurs need to do to break 4th is probably give it another season for our new midfield to gel. But we are defintely going in the right direction, and we have a really good manager unlike that tactically inept buffoon Jol and his pointless right hand man Hughton.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Clichy signed a new long term deal on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

Hotspur that has to be the most optimistic thread i have read in a while.

King and Woodgate are never gonna be fit enough to be relied upon as a permanent back four.

There is no fear of Arsenal slipping out of top four, the papers will tell you everyone is leaving but no one has, they had aul Clichy sold on Thursday only for a new contract to be signed.

For me Spurs need.

Another central defender, a tough tackling midfielder, time to allow Dos Santos and Modric to blossum, and as one of the other posters said they need stability they make wholesale changes every season.

they need more quality in debt, its not about who has the best 11 you need 16/18 top class players.

Even with all that you need to hope that the current top four make no progression while all this is happening, and Villa and Everton suffer the same for me they are much more likely.

Spurs will do top 10 at best for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement