Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So im driving along and bam!

Options
  • 22-06-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Just coming onto the round about coming from the airport over the m1 and BAM!

My rear left wheel.. THUMP THUMP THUMP.... nothing... THUMP THUMP THUMP ... Skid.. THUMP THUMP THUMP ..

I find a safe place i can pull over to. I get out and check the wheel. Its hanging off! 2 of the lugs broke off leaving my wheel to sit at an angle!

So i vent my anger then pick up the phone and call Allianz. They told me i had 24/7 breakdown recovery when i was signing up.. Grand!

"You are through to the allianz 24 hour break down recovery, we're sorry, but our offices are closed right now... blah blah blah blah"

WHAT?
    Panic stations hit as my girlfriend has to be up for 5 for a stock take and its 11:30. We call around, eating up our credit, then we call my gf's sister and she gets through to allianz on a difference number to the one i was given for the emergency. What a sham. I could have been stuck out there all night. Without knowing what number to call.

A complete sham. But i must admit, the recovery process was all taken care of by about 12:30. Only, allianz being so considerate. They dont have anything to do with THE FKING DRIVER. They took the car and were getting ready to leave before the driver says 'taxi on the way then eh?'. We said that we hadnt anything arranged, and we were on a motorway, but could he give us a lift a minute back the other way to the airport roundabout? No, he can take us to 'the airport hilton' tho, 15 minutes in the complete opposite direction. The bottom line is, i got in to my house at 5am. Im raging.

Can i cancel my insurance with them and go to someone else? Im paid up for a year and this isnt really what i signed up for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine they'll pay for the taxi. Give them a call on Monday to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Consumer Issues really but that's a pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

red_ice wrote: »
    A complete sham. But i must admit, the recovery process was all taken care of by about 12:30. Only, allianz being so considerate. They dont have anything to do with THE FKING DRIVER
    Before calling it a sham, you would need to go through the small print. I sure they have it covered and you would have been required to accept the terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Most of the free recovery services included with insurance are riddled with terms and conditions that are basically cop outs. They best one of all is that some will only tow you to an approved repairer of their choice and not yours.

You are always best to arrange your own breakdown services via the AA or the RAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think Quinn Direct offer free breakdown assistance and journey completion and all that lark with your coverage. There's details about it on their website.

Regarding getting out of your policy, you might have to pay some money if you looking out of the contract before the end of the policy. I read something on the Quinn site about there being a 50 euro admin fee for cancelling your policy plus some other accumlative charge with them. I guess it could be different with Allianz though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah i cancelled a commercial policy with quinn in january and they take 50 for admin costs but thats the only charge for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't bother with Recovery on Insurance Policys..they're all pretty hopeless, just suck it up and get AA cover!

Anyone here got AA membership? Is it worth it?

I used to share a house with a girl and twice within a matter of weeks her car broke down/wouldn't start but the AA managed to get it sorted. Although I guess you'd wonder if they fixed it properly the first time.

Can they sort stuff out like keys that don't work anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I have AA. No motor way stuff yet (touchwood). Gf locked car twice with keys hanging inside (blond ambitions) and i one had to call them for changing tyre. Arrived with in an hour and was satisfied.

BUt again it was with in city and within day time.

I am an AA member and find the service excellent.

They can open up a car if you lock the keys inside, if that is what you mean?

• Advertisement

Well I was thinking of a situation where you have a car with central locking and you press a button on your key that locks the car and sets the alarm and/or immobiliser.

If your key stopped working or something, would they be able to help you out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone here got AA membership? Is it worth it?
    Yes, I have it and think it's worth the relatively modest annual fee for peace of mind especially when travelling far from home with young children.

I have used them twice. On both occasions they were there within an hour and had me back on the road within minutes. On one of those occasions my daughter was just a small baby and it was a very cold and wet winters day, so it was a relief to see them arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

confuzed wrote: »
    I have AA. No motor way stuff yet (touchwood). Gf locked car twice with keys hanging inside (blond ambitions) and i one had to call them for changing tyre. Arrived with in an hour and was satisfied.

BUt again it was with in city and within day time.

Am I completely out of touch ? You slag off your GF, but you had to call the AA to change a tyre (wheel) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think Quinn Direct offer free breakdown
    Lol it's free alright, free to bring u to a "local garage". I'd to pay 130 to get it back to Limerick, which wasn't bad for over 35 miles of a journey. I'm sure they paid some of it though.

Lol it's free alright, free to bring u to a "local garage".
    That is the main problem with insurance free cover. At least the AA will drag it home for you no matter where you are in Ireland or the UK.

Advertisement