Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E34 5 Series

Options
  • 22-06-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Alright, here's the prob. I bought a 94 520i around six months ago as a second car (new baby, you see) and it came with steel wheels. I was wondering where I could find a set of second hand alloys for it. Even originals will do fine so long as they're not the metric jobbies. And please don't say a wrecker or something as I've tried 14 already and they all play dumb. My guess is they're getting better money leaving them on cars.

The PCD is 5x120 and the ET is a minimum of 15. 3 Series wheels won't work. Any 5 series alloys from 1988 and up will fit. Minimum of 15in obviously and with tyres would be lovely though not necessary.

Most of all I've very little money so cheapest is bestest.

Cheers, Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I had a 14-year-old E34 and no money to throw around i'd forget about alloys and keep the money for servicing/repairs, TBH. If you really want alloys though, try ebay, www.buyandsell.ie, www.autotrader.ie, maybe www.adverts.ie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

Ya, I know, but she's in the shop now getting all the niggly little bits that a neglected 14 yr old car with enough miles to get into orbit needs. She should be perfect after that, except that it looks like a rejected option for the bluesmobile.

abitdazed wrote: »
    Ya, I know, but she's in the shop now getting all the niggly little bits that a neglected 14 yr old car with enough miles to get into orbit needs. She should be perfect after that, except that it looks like a rejected option for the bluesmobile.
    I've owned a bit of elderly German heavy metal over the years, and believe me when I tell you that things can and will need doing at any time. Your reasoning is really only applicable to a car under factory warranty, maybe at a push to a newish Japanese car, but absolutely not to a 1994 E34. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where something fails in two months time and you've spent the money on alloys! Just my 2c.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I've got a set of genuine M5 alloys for sale for an E34. PM for details if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Alright, here's the prob. I bought a 94 520i around six months ago

Thats really your issue though, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Thats really your issue though, isn't it?
    that's cheeky. What do you drive? Can't possibly be more comfortable than this.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've owned a bit of elderly German heavy metal over the years, and believe me when I tell you that things can and will need doing at any time. Your reasoning is really only applicable to a car under factory warranty, maybe at a push to a newish Japanese car, but absolutely not to a 1994 E34. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where something fails in two months time and you've spent the money on alloys! Just my 2c.:)

Very true, but I was thinking if somebody had a rusting hulk in a field, then they wouldn't mind me havin the alloys as long as they were serviceable. Trust me, I am not stupid (this time) and am not going to spend a lot of money (this time).

that's cheeky. What do you drive? Can't possibly be more comfortable than this.
    I don't know what he drives now, but he's previously told us that he's always wanted a 318i.;)

Very true, but I was thinking if somebody had a rusting hulk in a field, then they wouldn't mind me havin the alloys as long as they were serviceable. Trust me, I am not stupid (this time) and am not going to spend a lot of money (this time).
    Well if they'd make you happy and you get them cheap then sure what harm. I suppose i'm just more into engines than wheels.;)

Oh mate, definitely! But you know what a Qcar is, right? Well this thing just takes it too far. And the paint is **** and also black so the black steelies just bring out the horrors in the paintwork. A set of even original alloys would add the contrast needed to hide those blemishes.

And they're steelies! I mean, come on! :D

Also, a 318? Whoever'd spend that kinda money a 4cyl BMW? Just buy the econobox and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hubcaps?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh mate, definitely! But you know what a Qcar is, right?

I think he does ;)

BTW the only E34s I've ever seen with steel wheels were Irish famine spec 518s iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    I think he does ;)

BTW the only E34s I've ever seen with steel wheels were Irish famine spec 518s iirc
    I think that was Irish spec, or poverty spec, not Irish famine spec. The famine was a different thing, and wasn't too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    The famine was a different thing, and wasn't too nice.

Surely it couldn't have been as bad as a BMW with steel rims though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Regardless of what I drive/want - an E34 5 Series is one bucket of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

an E34 5 Series is one bucket of poo.
    ... in your not so humble opinion (which the OP doesn't happen to share)

Now, stop stirring it and move on (and just in case you didn't get it ...this is a warning)

esel wrote: »
    Hubcaps?

Never, man. Just never. Not even if it was a Kia. I just couldn't do it.

Regardless of what I drive/want - an E34 5 Series is one bucket of poo.

Hey, man, these were the last ultra reliable, over engineered cars that BMW made. There are plenty of these with well over 200k miles on em and running strong. I came across one 525 with over 400k miles on it that was still on the original clutch! These aren't poo, man. I know a thing or two about cars and know what to look for and where to find it, be it information, specs, or reliability reports. Or actual faults with a specific car. I'm not stirring this with you anymore so just let it go.

Hey, man, these were the last ultra reliable, over engineered cars that BMW made.
    They're not really if my father-in-law's 520 is anything to go by. 7 grand in parts and repairs in 4 years to keep it going and it was young enough with low mileage.

They're not really if my father-in-law's 520 is anything to go by. 7 grand in parts and repairs in 4 years to keep it going and it was young enough with low mileage.

Really? wow. talk about keeping the faith! uh, well, I, uh..... ok ok, most of the ones I've heard about then have been ultra reliable. We all make mistaken generalizations once in a while. What year was this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Wow, guess I just happened to get a beauty going by all this talk...
    Bought a 520 new in '89 & sold this spring, had some issues with the oxegyn sensor a few years back but sorted itself out, literally Tax/ins/tyres/petrol purchased, was a fantastic car, only hope the E60 I bought last year holds up as well as it's predecessor.:)

Really? wow. talk about keeping the faith! uh, well, I, uh..... ok ok, most of the ones I've heard about then have been ultra reliable. We all make mistaken generalizations once in a while. What year was this one?
    He took it over when it was 4 years old (it was his company car since new), which is when the problems started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

We all make mistaken generalizations once in a while. What year was this one?
    The 5 series JHMEG is on about was actually an E39 fyi(since he didn't answer your question about what year it was), and was a 98, which of course is nothing to do with the car the OP has. They were in general reliable cars too.

E92 wrote: »
    The 5 series JHMEG is on about was actually an E39 fyi(since he didn't answer your question about what year it was), and was a 98, which of course is nothing to do with the car the OP has. They were in general reliable cars too.

That's true, but I have heard some horror stories about em.

That's true, but I have heard some horror stories about em.
    The only real problem with them is the Nikasil issue on any 6 pot petrol built before week 10 in 98. That's the only horror story I'm aware of with them. And electrical glitches from time to time.

I know people with E39s on over 150k and they never had a day's bother with them.

There are always a few lemons about the place, but you can get that with any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

There's nothing cheap or sly about my digs at BMW. I'm open and up front and do it as regulary as I can. Which is lots these days what with all these great new cars coming to market. You fanboys, as Vertakill says, better get off the BMW c0ck for a while.

Kinda negates any post on BMW's from this user.

Sorry, missed the question about the year. It was a 1996. Problems included suspension bushes, dash instruments, sensors, chrome trim falling off, catalytic converter (this was the final straw) etc.

But you said before your father in law had a 98 520i:confused:?

E92 wrote: »
    But you said before your father in law had a 98 520i:confused:?
    If I did it was an accident. Herself confirms it was a 96.

• Advertisement

Truth be told I wouldn't mind an E39. The jump in materials for the interior is generally measured in light-years. Really, really nice. Mine's interior is about average for a car from 82. Pity it's a 94.

Advertisement