Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair - dreadlocks, places to go?

• 22-06-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

My lil brother wants to get his hair dreaded. He doesn't wanna pay €500 to cowboys and angels for the pleasure. He went looking on moore street but the shops there that did it are closed.

Anyone know anywhere that will do them for a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Will

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Golden rule of dreadlocks: never get cheap bad quality ones! Dreads are usually expensive and if not done right they look shít. Believe me, bad dreads are hideous! Pay the money for 'em.

Temple bar would be a good place to start, bound to find a place there. Friend of mine is getting some and he says that's a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

merci buckets, will have to go wander with him. Yeah he doesn't mind paying the dosh but €500 is a bit mad i think... maybe Im wrong o.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dechilli

what a rip off .. go to bubblegum hair salon in drogheda, 75 euro an hour .. it takes 3 to 5 hours .. so your saving big time ...
    the girl that does them is doin them 14 years , her work is class, few of me mates got dreads and there great looking...
    number of salon is 0419800422..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dechilli wrote: »
    what a rip off .. go to bubblegum hair salon in drogheda, 75 euro an hour .. it takes 3 to 5 hours .. so your saving big time ...
    the girl that does them is doin them 14 years , her work is class, few of me mates got dreads and there great looking...
    number of salon is 0419800422..

I can vouch for this place as well.

They will do a far better job than anywhere you'll find in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Any pics of the people who've attended this chick for their dreads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Mate of mine got his done in some place on Moore Street I think, they were perfect for about 2 months then one day I seen them and they were all over the shop! He got them fixed about 2 weeks ago, but they’re doing the same thing again… I may send him to this bubblegum place, but its basically like any place, 9/10 you pay for the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Mate of mine got his done in some place on Moore Street I think, they were perfect for about 2 months then one day I seen them and they were all over the shop! He got them fixed about 2 weeks ago, but they’re doing the same thing again… I may send him to this bubblegum place, but its basically like any place, 9/10 you pay for the quality.

Dreads constantly need to be re-done - ideally I would like to get mine done once a month but cos my hair ain't that curly I constantly need to get them done.

No they don't. I've had mine for nearly three years now. Originally went to a place on Moore Street. Cost me around €100. Haven't had them re-done and I'm told they look great. If they are done properly and they are clean they will perpetually knot themselves as the hair grows, meaning all you have to do is wash them.

Wherever you go, politely decline the use of wax. Seriously, it took me forever and a lot of boiling water to get it out of my hair. They may not look as good (subjective, since I prefer when they're untidy and all over the place) but they'll smell and feel much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

I want to get a couple at the back - not a full or even half-head - just a couple.......my hair is pretty short at the moment though, so what I need to know is; Can I get dread extensions/clips put in, and if so, what length would my hair need to be, and where would be a good place to get this done??

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

A_Fitz wrote: »
    I want to get a couple at the back - not a full or even half-head - just a couple.......my hair is pretty short at the moment though, so what I need to know is; Can I get dread extensions/clips put in, and if so, what length would my hair need to be, and where would be a good place to get this done??

Cheers!

you can get ones that you plait in and they look natural if theyre the right colour...your hair needs to be at least 2-3 inches for them to not slide out.
    i have a mixture of my real hair _straight - and dreadlocks running through it in black and white - it looks real (and badass!!!) and since its black you cant tell where theyre plaited in.

if you want extensions you dont need human hair - i use synthetic hair, you can wash it as normal,and can get real and not so natural colours. i give mine a good scrub every 2-3 days cos i hate dirty hair.

wilburt - i think cowboys and angels are asking too much but i think what theyre offering is synthetic dreads - the real hair is plaited then wrapped with synthetic hair to look like dreads - cool looking but takes ages, is heavy and they require maintenance every 6-8 weeks.

• Advertisement

Chaos_Path wrote: »
    you can get ones that you plait in and they look natural if theyre the right colour...your hair needs to be at least 2-3 inches for them to not slide out.
    i have a mixture of my real hair _straight - and dreadlocks running through it in black and white - it looks real (and badass!!!) and since its black you cant tell where theyre plaited in.

if you want extensions you dont need human hair - i use synthetic hair, you can wash it as normal,and can get real and not so natural colours. i give mine a good scrub every 2-3 days cos i hate dirty hair.

wilburt - i think cowboys and angels are asking too much but i think what theyre offering is synthetic dreads - the real hair is plaited then wrapped with synthetic hair to look like dreads - cool looking but takes ages, is heavy and they require maintenance every 6-8 weeks.

Thanks for the info. My hear is light brown, so would I be better off with the ones made from real hair, so as to keep the colours right?? Also, can you recommend a place to get them done, and how much do you think they'd be, roughly??

Cheers!!!

Thanks for the info. My hear is light brown, so would I be better off with the ones made from real hair, so as to keep the colours right?? Also, can you recommend a place to get them done, and how much do you think they'd be, roughly??

Cheers!!!

dosent make any differerence! you can get synthetic hair in ANY colour and it can always be blended yo match your own. i did accent dreads for a friend, shes got blonde highlights so i blended the colours to match. looked awesome.
    i dont know anywhere apart form the place called bubblegum, and most afro hair salons look at you funny when you explain what you want.
    i dont know how much they are, i pay per dread sometimes, i usually do em myself - buy the aynth hair, or get them made.
    you dont need real hair, i find it expensive, only plus is that you can dye it.

Chaos_Path wrote: »
    dosent make any differerence! you can get synthetic hair in ANY colour and it can always be blended yo match your own. i did accent dreads for a friend, shes got blonde highlights so i blended the colours to match. looked awesome.
    i dont know anywhere apart form the place called bubblegum, and most afro hair salons look at you funny when you explain what you want.
    i dont know how much they are, i pay per dread sometimes, i usually do em myself - buy the aynth hair, or get them made.
    you dont need real hair, i find it expensive, only plus is that you can dye it.

Cheers CP, great help!! Is Bubblegum in Dublin, ya??

Cheers CP, great help!! Is Bubblegum in Dublin, ya??

i think theyre in drogheda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheMelodyOfRain

The Mighty Caesars on Parnell Street will do dreads for you too. Its an Afro-Caribbean salon but you wont get any odd looks, theres plenty of pictures on the wall of Caucasians and even Asians getting them done. Expect to pay anywhere from 120 - 350 depending on how much hair you have. I've an undercut and the first session cost me 120, then four months later 60. He did them extremely tight the second time though so I haven't been there in over a year. Desperately need to get them redone...it'll have to wait another month though...ugh...think this might be the last time though, then I'll shave them off and just grow it back to shoulder length.

Anyway, just be prepared for the remarks. No matter how clean they are, theres a stigma that dreads are filthy, but realistically if they were that dirty they'd either come loose from the oils in your hair or fall out of your scalp.

Anyone done the dreading themselves, or know of anyone who's successfully done it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The little brother got them done two years ago, aged 16, by a girl recommended to me by a friend..who had dreads and all the people in their circle had dreads...he had hair half way down his back so ended up with with a lot of dreads, and it was done over an evening and the following afternoon..now it did come out good, but the maintenance was a pain in the ass as his hair grew real fast and we had to keep "fixing it".

Now looking back he views it as a mistake and part of his rebellious stage, but sure it didn't cause any harm and he liked them at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Anyone done the dreading themselves, or know of anyone who's successfully done it??

Yeah a friend of mine does hers, they're very soft though.

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Yeah a friend of mine does hers, they're very soft though.

As in not very tight, ya? Are they hard to upkeep??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Miss. Anthrope

Is there a store in Dublin where I can buy just the bags of Kanekalon synthetic hair and make my own dreads??? I would love to find one soon, hopefully with a few funky colors.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement