Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please have a read and see what you think could be done.

Options
  • 22-06-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    I'll get straight to the point with this. I'm living on a country lane say about a mile long and i'm right in the middle. This morning i went through the phone book and got the numbers of all the people on the lane and went to the eircom phone line checker and tested all the numbers and came up with some surprising results.

All the houses(6) to the left passed the line checker and all the houses(5) to the rightfailed, myself included. Now right outside of my house theres an eircom pole that seems to be where the lines may be split as theres a couple of white boxes on the pole.

Now my question is can i do Anything about trying to get my line to pass? people at eircom, local councillor etc etc.

I at this stage have since 1998 been trying to get broadband and have at this stage spent thousands with eircom, utv, skydsl, crosscountrybroadband, voda, o2 and 3 not to mention the amount of NOs i've had from various suppliers and what can i say without making this post even longer execpt to say my heart is nearly broken at this stage. The results this morning have me kinda hopefull, to the extent that i'd pay eircom to move my line down onto the pole that feeds my neighbours, one of the houses that passed is now empty btw as the woman has moved away so that number/line is free.

Btw. My number failed on all telco line tester sites but passed on Digiwebs and so i placed an order but i have a feeling i'm gona get a call from them to say Sorry.
    Any help with this and i and my family would be most greatfull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Probably nothing that can officially be done, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to get the Eircom engineer out then pay him €100 in drink money to hook you up to the lines that work! Not the most legal way of doing things, but it would probably work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you get a tech install from Eircom sales (1800 503 303) that should sort out your line.

Otherwise ring sales at the same number and ask if you're able to get Wimax, it's only up to 1mb but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Probably nothing that can officially be done, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to get the Eircom engineer out then pay him €100 in drink money to hook you up to the lines that work! Not the most legal way of doing things, but it would probably work :D

:) If i thought that would work i would pay much more than that to be honest. What i can't get my head around is the fact that it passed on the Digiweb site at a speed of 3megs, as i said i placed the order but surely that can't be right? can it:confused:

So i was on to eircom this morning and the end result would seem to be somewhat disappointing, apparently i made the same request some years ago and were still looking into it, it will take 8 to 10 weeks ?

I can't remember if i did, more than likley i did as i've tried everything else in the past to try and get bb. Maybe i should caal back as the girls english wasn't great and it was kinda hard to put my case over.

Has any body else been in this situation and did you get it sorted one way or another? any advice would be really welcome.

btw, Digiweb said there site is faulty and not to trust the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Digiweb's site passes all Irish telephone numbers the past few months regardless if its an enabled number or not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digiweb's site passes all Irish telephone numbers the past few months regardless if its an enabled number or not.

LOL :D

JPB could probably do with an update on local wireless coverage too Big P , he lives in Laois somewhere IIRC . At least the customer service people speak english :)

Hey Bob, thast some memory you have, yes still in Laois and still trying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have you down as a marker JPB, once you have a choice of BB providers in Laois ...not the wildest terrain in Ireland by any means ....then I will believe that Ireland as a knowledge economy is not utterly doomed .

As long as someone in Laois is ****ed the whole country is ****ed. You are not so much a good luck thing as the personification of Middle Ireland .

Forcing Middle Ireland onto crummy unreliable 3g in the absence of BB is a sure sign that we are all ****ed. I won't insult your intelligence by pretending otherwise.

I want you to get BB so that I can believe that we all have a future in this country . Currently I fear we do not.

You will no doubt be delighted to hear that the National Broadband Scheme seemingly does not apply to you because Eamonn Ryan believes that you have Broadband already.

A stiff email may be in order after you peruse his ever changing NBS map on the dcmnr.ie site , its about 18mb in size I will warn you .

Sorry to be a pain with this lads but im sure you can understand why. I have as i said been onto eircom and explained where i stand at the moment, Re: OP, but with little or no satisfaction.

I asked about paying for a new line to my house and was told i had a 50/50 chance of geting bb. Given what i've said in my OP what are my chances and has anyone else gone donw this route with any success.

P.s. Theres an eircom pole right outside my house with two white junction boxes. I and the phone numbers that i tested and failed are connected to the older box whereas the people to the left of me who are passing and have bb installed would appear to be connected to the newer one. Am i reading to much into this or are there other factors to be considered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

possibly if the pole was hit by lightening and obliterated they would have to replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like maybe your running off a DACS box or something, that or just the wiring isd crap, I suppose in theory if it was damaged inenough they might come out and replace it....though I wouldn't recommend this course of action.

Just curious does the eircom line checker fail you fully or does it say maybe?

Worse come to worse buy your neighbour a wireless router and pay them a few euro each month for broadband? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Destroy the line and get Eircom to give you a brand new one I say!

Highly criminal! :o

Highly satisfying! :D

Hey Cabaal..for years its been giving a reading as unsuitable but for the last 5/6 days neither the line checker nor eircom can determine if the line is suitable plus theres a lot of static on the line so i have an error report logged with eircom, think the line was damaged in a bit of a storm last week

I'm gona wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks, new line tests at the exchange by eircom, new phone line but if after that and my hands are still tied i may very well have to do what i thought would have to be done in the first place:o

If anybody has any imaginative, realistic succestions please PM them to me.
    Seriously......

Ok. This is the last you will here from me on this untill something happens. I don't think there DACS boxes
    but please have a look at these pictures and tell me would these have an effect on my geting bb or not?

I'm on the older looking box with the line on top heading S/E. As you can see i only have to stand on my ditch and im 3/4 way up the pole, i wouldn't be popular with the people living around me but a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

sorry to hear your plight Johnny - Would it be possible to ask your neigbours to get broadband installed, say you split the cost 50/50. and then have a directional WIFI antenna setup to point at your home or a very strong OMNI-directional WIFI antenna thus providing you with a broadband connection ?

I say this - because way back before I got broadband, we had to do something similiar in D15.

Hey ondafly, i tried approaching my closest neighbour who happens to be a guard and his wife whos a prison officer and to say i got a strange look is an under statment,

the rest of the people are either eldery, or you never see them from one end of the day to the other so thats a non runner, i wouldn't mind but i have a sweet wlan setup with excellent signal over quiet a large area which is how i found out people could get bb from there eircom/netopia routers with crappy wep installed but given its a guard i won't be going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

how far approx are you from the exchange ?. Some of that wiring looks fairly crap alright. you could keep going and follow the line back along further up the road and just knock on doors and ask people if they have broadband, and if they dont get their numbers and try them in the line checker to establish rough distances. thats what I was doing before they extended the limit to 5 miles, and I didnt give a rip, I found most people will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a pairgain there allright, I can't work out which line is yours, and hence if you're on it, but the pairgain is the rectangular creamy/grey box, not the other one which is slightly shorter, white (ignore dirt) and a bit narrower at the top.

The pairgain is made by Tadiran Telecommunications. It's called multigain 2000. They're quite sensitive to damage of all sorts, them things.

An engineer will probably have to come out to fix your line, offer him whatever is necessary to take you off that pairgain or clean up your wiring! That pole's wiring looks okay except for the presence of a pairgain.

Advertisement