Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish smokers to be paid to quit

Options
  • 22-06-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

Smokers in deprived parts of the British city of Dundee are to be paid to kick the habit in an initiative between public health organisations, municipal authorities and the Scottish government.
    The pilot scheme to be tried in Dundee, north of Edinburgh, will see smokers offered £12.50 per week to quit.

Health bosses hope that 900 smokers will give up as a result in the next two years.
    The money will be credited onto an electronic card, which they can redeem at their local supermarket for fresh food and other groceries, but not cigarettes and alcohol, local health body NHS Tayside said.
    The money will be available for up to 12 weeks, with participants receiving nicotine replacement therapy through their local pharmacy, where they will also undergo weekly carbon monoxide tests to prove they have not succumbed.

If successful, the scheme could be rolled out across Scotland, which has high instances of coronary heart disease and cancer linked to smoking and poor diet, particularly in the 'central belt' between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
    The Scottish government in Edinburg banned smoking in public places such as pubs and restaurants, in March 2006.

Link.

Is this a good idea? Personally I think it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yep, I saw that posted up on the BBC website a few hours ago. Amazing isn't it. A great incentive for people to give up smoking. Adds to your daily shop that's for sure. Due to the amount of the tax our Government collects off tobacco sales I would wonder would our Government implement that? Not sure about it, more than likely it would be NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I would be surprised if they got much success out of this.

Money isn't a cure for addiction. Can't see it working myself.
    Smokers will do anything for a smoke.
    Nicotine is a serious drug.
    Money won't be powerful enough an incentive I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yea sure you save 50 quid a week anyway by quiting don't think 12.50 will do much good

Advertisement