Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which coffee shops do you like?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I've tried a few but haven't found anywhere I like enough to be loyal to.

Gloria Geans, I love the "white hot chocolate" but I don't like the seating or the atmosphere there. They seem to prefer customers for take-away to sit-in customers.

The Farmgate upstairs in the English market- very expensive, €5 for a black coffee and scone.

Easons Muse cafe, probably my favourite of this lot, fabulous scones, bacon sandwiches and free newspapers to read. Good prices too.

Recommend me somewhere else I might like please:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Quite like the Cork Coffee Roasters myself. Usually try to pop in there if I'm working on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

Depeche Coffee shop on northmain street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

i love gloria jeans but probably only because i have an addiction the their white chocolate oreo. yummmmmmmmmmy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I like the coffee in Cafe de la Paix on washington street.
    it's a little out of the way, but handy en route to UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I'm not a coffee drinker, but Cafe Gusto on Washington Street is excellent for food, tea and general atmos. I hear the coffee is excellent too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

sugar on washington st is great for a coffee and a french cakey jobby

heard great things about the coffee roasters place on bridge st but havent gotten up there yet.

current favourite spot is brew on paul st, raspberry scones are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think Gusto has the best coffee in town and nice place to sit and watch the world go by on Washington Street.

Honourable mentions go to Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge Street and Butlers on Oliver Plunkett Street :)

I've heard that they do a mean coffee in Meade's wine bar on Oliver Plunkett Street, but have never been in there early enough to be drinking anything but vino!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

are any of these places open late. went to town last night to have coffee with a friend and alas all i could find is tribes and the newport. tribes was packed and its only ok in there. so need a new late night place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I like Butler's on Oliver Plunkett st, but getting a seat sometimes can be a bit manic. nice latte's though. I second cafe gusto too. nice wraps and not too pricey.

chuci wrote: »
    are any of these places open late. went to town last night to have coffee with a friend and alas all i could find is tribes and the newport. tribes was packed and its only ok in there. so need a new late night place.

True, it's hard to get a good coffee at night, without going into a restaurant! As I mentioned, Meades is meant to be good, but it's not a coffee shop so you won't get any snackages there.

Cruibin (the place what used to be the Lobby) is another wine/tapas bar, which does coffee and tea into the night and they have biscuits, deserts and stuff too. Can't comment on how good the quality of these beverages is but it's a nice place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Malari wrote: »

Cruibin (the place what used to be the Lobby) is another wine/tapas bar, which does coffee and tea into the night and they have biscuits, deserts and stuff too. Can't comment on how good the quality of these beverages is but it's a nice place to go.

thanks iv walked past that place a few times haven ventured in looks a bit too classy for me:p

thanks iv walked past that place a few times haven ventured in looks a bit too classy for me:p

Classy? Not a bit! Did you not notice the scruffy, hippy types behind the counter? :D They're very down to earth in there really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I used to love Tribes, but alas it has gone to sh*t over the course of the last few years.
    Also since the gingerbread house and ky's cafe closed down there is a distinct lack of places to sit down and have a cup of coffee before 9 on a saturday morning(used to work at 9 but bus got me in 40 mins early).
    Are there any actual nice cafe's left in Cork where you can sit down and read the paper for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I used to love Tribes, but alas it has gone to sh*t over the course of the last few years.

Yeah, used to be cosy, and economical, with their toasties. Ever since they got a fancy new menu and makeover, I've found them to be really overpriced for what they serve, and the hot chocolate...bah...
    I think Gusto has the best coffee in town and nice place to sit and watch the world go by on Washington Street.

Honourable mentions go to Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge Street and Butlers on Oliver Plunkett Street :)

Cafe Gusto is savage alright. Very reasonably priced, the quality is excellent and I don't think it can be beat for atmosphere and location. As for Cork Coffee Roasters, the decor is pretty cool inside. And I had one of the best Americano's I've ever had in there.

I know it's not so much of a coffee place as a hot chocolate place, but O' Conaill's probably deserves an honourable mention. It's a bit small...but oh god, the numbing effect of some of the hot chocolates with >70% cocoa solids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

puccinos.........or is that a dirty word around here? =]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    puccinos.........or is that a dirty word around here? =]
    well they do do a nice sandwich. and the paul st store do discounts for local employees, so im rather liking the place. the coffee's only ok though,and you wouldnt read a book in there.

one ofhte girls in work suggested the roundy as a spot for coffee and reading a book on a sunday afternoon when many places are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Also since the gingerbread house and ky's cafe closed down there is a distinct lack of places to sit down and have a cup of coffee before 9 on a saturday morning(used to work at 9 but bus got me in 40 mins early).
    Are there any actual nice cafe's left in Cork where you can sit down and read the paper for a bit?

That's exactly what I'm looking for too, I used to love the gingerbread house.

I tried out the coffee roasters place this week and the coffee was excellent.

The quay co-op has coffee and home-made cake and is open until around 9pm in the evenings so maybe the person looking for an evening coffee place could try that as an alternative to tribes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

kaki wrote: »
    I know it's not so much of a coffee place as a hot chocolate place, but O' Conaill's probably deserves an honourable mention. It's a bit small...but oh god, the numbing effect of some of the hot chocolates with >70% cocoa solids...

O'Conaills "Milk & White" = Liquidy Chocolatey Orgasm! Nyom nyom nyom.....
    :D
    I like Tribes but it's always packed.
    I really like Gloria Jeans aswell. Gusto - meh! 'Tis ok

It's a pity there isn't a Costa Coffee in the city centre (I think there's one in Blackpool - too far!). I LOVE Costa, even though it's a bit pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That place next to ege kebab across from ucc - cant think of the name!!

Had a very good double macchiato there the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It's a great place for a coffee/tea and chat with your friends at night, I loved it when I was at home and it's reasonable-ish aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nosh+Coffee on Carey's Lane is nice.

Tribes used be great, but they got really pissy after a while, then changed management a few times, and now it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I love Cafe Gusto myself. However my favourite at the moment is the coffee shop on te Grand Parade side of the Englisdh Market but it closes at 5:30 I think. €2 for a really good cappuccino...can't go wrong.

You sit down on the bench, take a newspaper and read or watch the world go by inside there. Nice snacks too...cakes and huge sandwiches and wraps. All fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Insomnias a nice place & they open before 9am. Not sure of the name of the street, its one of the streets on the right of the moderne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Insomnias a nice place & they open before 9am. Not sure of the name of the street, its one of the streets on the right of the moderne.

That would be french church street.
    Love cork coffee roasters myself, great coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

I would agree with everyone backing Gusto! On a nice day a walk down to Gusto on the Boardwalk is well worth while no nicer place to read the paper and chill out!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Classy? Not a bit! Did you not notice the scruffy, hippy types behind the counter? :D They're very down to earth in there really

i'll second that.. i went there for a bit pf grub a few weeks ago and its a great spot.. and i have to say there's a hint of the vibe that the lobby had in there,, the kind of place you can go and enjoy a coffee and read the paper/do the crossword or whatever... in terms of late night coffee spots though i have to say i miss the gingerbread house for that.. even if it wasn't the world's best coffee, it was a great place to, in the words of Dylan Moran, "just sit and be"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I work in a coffee shop in the city centre and heard a group of people talking about boards.ie yesterday...

/looks around suspiciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I like Brew near the back entrance to waterstones. . . . . not sure of the name of the street. . . . .

Anyone been to that new place "Cuppa Cafe" on Union Quay, just by the entrance to that car park?

• Advertisement

OK, you can all stop wondering, I had a coffee this morning in Cuppa Cafe and it was delish! Very reasonable too. I'm adding it to my list...

Advertisement