Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Query

Options
  • 22-06-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Yet again I turn to Boards for advice. Have an existing website with about 500 pages, which needs to be totally redesigned and brought up to date. First thing is what will I expect to pay roughly from a web design company and freelancer. Also is there anything I need to request ie. valid xhtml, css kind of stuff to help keep future proofed for as long as possible. Also what is an appropriate deposit to pay up front. Also will a designer sit down with me and actually work up a few samples etc.. Whats the norm?

Thanks again

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Norm is ... what do you want them to do ?

1: New Template (this will no doubt require various initial templates you choose the one you like most and its worked on from there)

2: Are you getting a content management system ? In a situation like this I'd recommend one. Having this you could potentially move all the pages into the new system yourself.

3: How much imagery will there be ?

4: Do you want Branding done up ... new logos / business cards / print marketing material

5: Will you be requiring SEO / SEM from them ?

I've various customers I've never met :D .... I provide them with mockups .. we communicate via email or on the phone. Others I've met up with. I think meeting up can be good and going over things but its not required at the end of the day.

Basically you write down what you'd like / want from them and get a number of quotes from different designers / agencies.

Agencies will no doubt charge more as they have more overheads.

A good way to tackle it can be to say I've a budget of X ... what can I get for that. Saying how much do I have to spend ... well you can get an open source template and do it yourself ... cost ... your time. How good it will be will depend on the amount of time.

Anyways a Content Management System will cost you with most crowds anywhere from 1.5k up ....

Depending on how much work is required on the new templates and so on .. this figure will go up ... will you require lots of extra custom graphics ... will you require a logo ... hosting ... custom development ... and so on

How long is a piece of string ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Yeah thanks Forbairt,

I understand where your coming from. I am spent the weekend on a brief so hopefully I know where I am at before I start ringing around.

Advertisement