Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Ireland will qualify for the World Cup?

• 22-06-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

With the terrible last two years some might have forgotten that Ireland were within a goal of qualifying for the World Cup in 2006. The qualification campaign which saw us lose just one match against France who would be the eventual finalists come July 2006.

The 2008 qualification came around, with our 'world class management team' of Sir Bobby and Stan at the helm.

We started off being beaten by Germany 1-0 in Berlin. A comfortable match if I can remember, with Germany having one great chance and then scoring with a Podolski deflected free kick. A great effort considering this was a country on a high after their exploits in the World Cup just gone.

Then in the group of freak results Ireland played Cyprus with some idiot in goal(was it Paddy Kenny?)...Stan got the tactics all wrong..it was after this game the cries for Lee Carsley to come back began.

After this no matter what Ireland did it would always be in the memory. Some might forget that we only lost once in the remaining ten games away to Czech Republic.

So anyway this is why I think Ireland have a chance of qualifying for World Cup(it will be tough because only 13 places are available for European teams)

1. We have a respected coach in charge. As I have said you can't underestimate a good coach.

In the 2006 qualification, Russia finished behind Slovakia. Along the way they were crushed by Portugal 7-1(LMAO Imagine if Ireland lost by such a score), they drew away with Lichtenstein. However once Hiddink came in their fortunes changed. They are now on may forums being labelled a great team.

2. Contrary to this forum, we actually have good enough players.
    Robbie Keane. Richard Dunne. Stephen Hunt. Stephen Kelly. were all named player of the season at their respective clubs.

Aiden McGeady was named player of the season in the SPL. It doesn't matter about the strength of the league, the fact is he was named player of the season.

Then we have Andy Reid, who changed Sunderlands fortunes around when he signed for them. Steven Reid is highly regarded by Blackburn. Shay Given and Damien Duff have performed for Ireland.

So I think we have the basis of a team that can challenge. With players like Garvan, McCarthy, Quinn, Clifford coming through the ranks it also looks good for the future.

I do concede however defence is a problem, but until the first two matches in the group we won't know if we have made any gains in that area.

Anyway defence doesn't have to be a problem. Admitablly Croatia were good at the back but Russia couldn't defend. I couldn't picture being Ireland hammered by Spain 4-1.

As I said I believe McGeady could be our Arshavin. He probably doesn't have the intelligence of him, but is every bit if not more skillfull.

More shall come.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ireland won't qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Its definitely possible.
    If we can get a draw against Italy it will really help.
    Bulgaria are a good footballing side and I dont expect us to do much against them. A home win maybe.
    Then if we want to have any hope of qualifying we really have to take all six points from Georgia and Montegreno.
    Cyprus seem to be a bogey team and Im just praying we can take points off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I admire the optimism, I was very optimistic after Greece won Euro 2004 with a team no more skillful than ours, it was a real wake up call to countries who didnt believe they could achieve something......but then along came Father Jack and Dougal, sorry I mean Stan and Bobby and they conspired to take us back to the dark ages, but I feel with the management team we have now things are already looking up.....however theres an aspect about the Irish team about not getting the job done, how many late goals did we concede in the last campaign? I hope we do qualify but I wouldnt bet on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I hope we do qualify but I wouldn't bet on it...

fixed. ;)

and i agree 100% with this statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DesF wrote: »
    Ireland won't qualify.

ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ireland won't qualify.

stop crushing estebans dreams.

you dream crusher you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    stop crushing estebans dreams.

you dream crusher you.

Is it not crushin the majority of peoples dreams here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Trilla wrote: »
    Is it not crushin the majority of peoples dreams here?

can a mod add a poll? i would have though most here don't believe we can qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I admire your optimism and I hope they qualify but it will take a lot of effort from the players. The fact that we have a decent manager is a good start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think that second place is a reasonable position to aim for. Overall, we have a stronger squad than the likes of Bulgaria and with Italy on the ropes, I think we may take points off them.

By the way, qualification is going to be very difficult for European countries this time. For example, the worst performing team to finish in second place in the group stages is eliminated; no play-off, nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

We will qualify. I saw enough in the first 20mins v Colombia to be confident of that.

Now if we play that well for 30mins in the next game then the World Cup trophy itself is assurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We have it in us, we just need the right system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What you think is the right system PHB?

I thought he would play 4-2-3-1, but I don't think this will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

PHB wrote: »
    We have it in us, we just need the right system.

I agree. I think Trappattoni is right about psychology. In the last few games under Stan the players looked like they really didn't want to be there, like they didn't believe they could win. I think team like Croatia and Turkey show how much better team can be with a sense of self belief (once it's not too inflated *ahem* England *ahem*).

I think that second place is a reasonable position to aim for. Overall, we have a stronger squad than the likes of Bulgaria and with Italy on the ropes, I think we may take points off them.

By the way, qualification is going to be very difficult for European countries this time. For example, the worst performing team to finish in second place in the group stages is eliminated; no play-off, nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29

I agree....

The title of this is misleading. I don't think we should qualify in that it shouldn't be expected that we do. If we are pushing for qualification at the end I would be happy. I don't think Russia would have sacked Hiddink had they failed to reach Euro 2008.

I don't expect us to qualify as in like its a given. Really the first two matches will tell all in my opinion.

Even if we get 4 points that would be a good start, because I cann see Italy struggling away to teams like Georgia as well. Just look at them against Lithuania in the last qualification campaign.

After those two matches we have 3 matches at home on the spin.

Ok I just read if the FAI had waited we would have got Hiddink to manage us in 2006. Il mi Dio!!!!

Hopefully even if we don't qualify but show some promise Trap will stay(I'm sure he will if we give him the money he's on) for the Euro 2012 campaign. I would expect us to qualify for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Ireland have a super chance of making it to WC 2010. I agree we have some very decent players, it's all just a matter of playing the correct system and I fully believe that Trap is the man to do that.

As for Italy they always struggle in qualifiers, so far in the Euros they have been far from convincing judging by their performances so far ... I see no reason why we couldnt take three points of them in Croke Park and then go to Italy and hold them to a draw.

Worst case scenario IMO is finishing second and having to play qualifiers.

You are right. Some people think we have no chance against Italy. I couldn't disagree more. They are a bitch to be drawn against because they always seem to qualify but they will never run away with a group(mark my words)

I think the most reasonable scenario is we battle it out with Bulgaria to finish second. It will come down to the matches against them. If we finish second but don't get a qualifer then so be it. I just know the players have more in them. Our second string beat the 19th best team in the world who were preparing for their qualifers this month. Their approach would have been the same to our approach come Norway in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Tom65 wrote: »
    I agree. I think Trappattoni is right about psychology. In the last few games under Stan the players looked like they really didn't want to be there, like they didn't believe they could win. I think team like Croatia and Turkey show how much better team can be with a sense of self belief (once it's not too inflated *ahem* England *ahem*).

I agree with this. That was an interesting fact about the four Irish players being player of the year for their clubs too. If they're not playing that well for the country, I think that must be down to the lousy management they've had.

At the very least, it will be good to see an exciting campaign with a team of players who look like they want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

After witnessing the crapness of Italy,I would be confident of us beating every team at home and most away.
    We have the 2nd best players behind Italy and I dont see any reason we cant qualify.

The only draws away we should be getting are bulgaria and Italy.

• Advertisement

Well to be honest, I'm not really sure what the best system is. It's kinda like England, the players we have don't really match each other as well as they should.

If you look at Turkey and Russia can you honestly tell me their players are so much better
    than Irelands? The difference is that they have a system which suits their players.

Our team imo should be built around Robbie Keane. I think that's what Trap is doing. He is our best player, and i know people are going to say he doesnt do whatever, but ultimately, he is the player in the team who has the ability to unlock defences.
    Obviously Duff would be great, and I hope Keegan can get him back to old standards, but that's a pipe dream.

But the most important thing, first and foremost, is beating the **** teams.
    Cyprus, Georgia and Monenegro.
    There is no reason, none at all, why we should not be able to get 12 points there.
    In our first four matches, we play those 3 and Italy. If we get 9 points there, we've a great chance of coming 2nd. If we get 10 points there, we've got a good chance of topping the group. There's never been a better time to play Italy.

Our players can be better, and I think Trap is the right man for the job.
    Personally the system I'd like to see employed is,

Given
    --Kelly----Dunne---McShane--O'Shea--
    S. Reid--A.Reid
    --Ireland
    Keane
    Duff/Hunt-
    Murphy

The movement between Ireland Keane and Duff should be enough to break down most defences. They will get up and support Murphy, who imo is the best guy we have for holding up the ball. Reid and Reid will provide both a solid defensive base, with a good passer and a box to box player. Also Keane will naturally drop back to help out in the midfield. Ireland and Duff will tend to cut inside as they do, and O'Shea and Kelly can provide the wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If I got evens or above on Ireland qualifying I'd take it. Reckon we're about 50/50 likely.

Interesting inclusion of Murphy. I see what you're getting at and I agree.

I think McGeady must play though. Hunt nor Ireland(if he comes back) can unlock a defence. McGeady can.

Oh and about Russia and Turkey I don't think they have much better players. They have better leagues but demographics is always against Ireland when it comes to our National League. They have better pool of players but we can match them with out starting teams.

To be honest, I've only ever seen McGeady in an Irish shirt and he hasn't impressed me. However he seems to be doing great in the SPL so I assume he has talent. I think a move to a bigger club with better defenders would probably improve his performances against better defences.

I like Hunt because he offers determination :) That's quite lacking in the team. Although if we can get the other players motivated there's no real need for him.

Either way, McGeady, Ireland, Keane all offer some great creativity. If we can harness it, we'll be fine. Oddly enough, I think an italian system ala 4-2-3-1 would work.

Murphy is good for the team to be honest. He's really impressed me against Serbia. Doyle does great and all, great workhorse, but to be honest, I don't think he's got enough to his all round game to play that role.

They have better pool of players but we can match them with out starting teams.

That's somewhat true, but Ireland massively overproduce quality sports players for their population, we always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I agree that McGeady must play. I think the 4-2-3-1 system could suit us. Despite Keane's tendency to come deep for the ball, I think he could play as the lone forward, if supported by three quality attackers like McGeady-Ireland-Duff. Attacking-wise, there's bags of talent and pace there, and we'd be able to unlock most defenses.

Our central midfield is very soft though - realistically, we're still looking for a replacement for Roy. Carsley is getting too old, Steven Reid is injury-prone, Andy Reid doesnt have the necessary qualities or discipline...

To be honest, I wouldn't mind O Shea sitting in front of the back four, with Kelly at LB and Finnan at RB.

To be honest, I've only ever seen McGeady in an Irish shirt and he hasn't impressed me. However he seems to be doing great in the SPL so I assume he has talent. I think a move to a bigger club with better defenders would probably improve his performances against better defences.

I like Hunt because he offers determination :) That's quite lacking in the team. Although if we can get the other players motivated there's no real need for him.

Either way, McGeady, Ireland, Keane all offer some great creativity. If we can harness it, we'll be fine. Oddly enough, I think an italian system ala 4-2-3-1 would work.

Murphy is good for the team to be honest. He's really impressed me against Serbia. Doyle does great and all, great workhorse, but to be honest, I don't think he's got enough to his all round game to play that role.

That's somewhat true, but Ireland massively overproduce quality sports players for their population, we always have.

I didn't mean their first teams were much better, if better at all.

But you are right, we produce so many sports people for a country of its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

9/9/09 could be a key date.
    Italy at home to Bulgaria ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Given

Kelly - Dunne - O'Brien - O'Shea

Ireland - S.Reid - A.Reid - McGeady

Keane - Doyle

That is our best 11.

I believe we can qualify, but we MUST be consistant against the lesser teams like Cyprus.

The above is actually a pretty decent team and could easily challenge for 2nd place (at least) Bulgaria are no great shakes - if we can keep Berbatov & Petrov quiet they are pretty average. I have seen them in a few internationals and they are piss poor at the back. They qualified for a tournament a few years back (Euro 2004) and they were exploited. Put it this way - they are worse now.

And if we can get our tactics right, we may even finish finish 1st. As a lot of pundits have said - "there are no great teams in international football nowadays". Hopefully Italy will stick with the old guard next time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We were really unlucky to get Montenegro, they are going to suprise a lot of people, they are as good if not better than Georgia and Bulgeria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Well to be honest, I'm not really sure what the best system is. It's kinda like England, the players we have don't really match each other as well as they should.

If you look at Turkey and Russia can you honestly tell me their players are so much better
    than Irelands? The difference is that they have a system which suits their players.

Our team imo should be built around Robbie Keane. I think that's what Trap is doing. He is our best player, and i know people are going to say he doesnt do whatever, but ultimately, he is the player in the team who has the ability to unlock defences.
    Obviously Duff would be great, and I hope Keegan can get him back to old standards, but that's a pipe dream.

But the most important thing, first and foremost, is beating the **** teams.
    Cyprus, Georgia and Monenegro.
    There is no reason, none at all, why we should not be able to get 12 points there.
    In our first four matches, we play those 3 and Italy. If we get 9 points there, we've a great chance of coming 2nd. If we get 10 points there, we've got a good chance of topping the group. There's never been a better time to play Italy.

Our players can be better, and I think Trap is the right man for the job.
    Personally the system I'd like to see employed is,

Given
    --Kelly----Dunne---McShane--O'Shea--
    S. Reid--A.Reid
    --Ireland
    Keane
    Duff/Hunt-
    Murphy

The movement between Ireland Keane and Duff should be enough to break down most defences. They will get up and support Murphy, who imo is the best guy we have for holding up the ball. Reid and Reid will provide both a solid defensive base, with a good passer and a box to box player. Also Keane will naturally drop back to help out in the midfield. Ireland and Duff will tend to cut inside as they do, and O'Shea and Kelly can provide the wide.

I am a Sunderland supporter and Murphy is one of the most frustrating players ever. When he is on fire he looks brilliant - anyone notice he got goal of the month in February on MOTD? Believe me, he is NOT a target-man! I was utterly amazed at the amount of headers he won in the Serbia match - he usually never jumps for them and he is 6'2! Biggest pussy (apologizes for profanity) I have ever seen for a man of his size. He is pretty good with the ball at his feet though, when he is in the mood. He was terrible until January when Keane nearly sold him to QPR (which was a wake-up call for him) and Keane gave him a second chance and he has scored 4 Premier League goals since then. Believe it or not, he looks better on the left wing than a striker! If he was sold at Sunderland he would be no great loss - he is pretty much considered a squad player. He played pretty well in the CCC 2 seasons ago - ended that season in great form. To summarise it up Daryl Murphy can be a useful player - but just badly needs consistancy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

We can get there in my view as we should not be beaten by Italy (whether we beat or draw with them is another story)

As other posters here have said the results against Bulgaria and Montenegro will be critical. Assuming we do the business against the rest then having a better than record against the latter two should suffice (and is more than possible with the current squad and management)

Anyone who thinks Ireland won't lose twice to Italy, is, imo, suffering from delusions and needs to have their gren tinted spectacled surgically removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not a notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anyone who thinks Ireland won't lose twice to Italy, is, imo, suffering from delusions and needs to have their gren tinted spectacled surgically removed.

anything is possible des :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If we finish third we'll have done well.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If we finish third we'll have done well.

Irish managers have been sacked for finishing third in qualifying campaigns.

Why would this be different.

Ig Ireland come third, Trappatoni should be sacked.

Irish managers have been sacked for finishing third in qualifying campaigns.

Why would this be different.

Ig Ireland come third, Trappatoni should be sacked.

Yep true. But third is really the best we can hope for in that group.

Scotland could beat Italy, why not Ireland? I'm not saying we're going to do it, but I don't see with the players we have why we can't. There is a way to do this, I just hope Trap can find it.

Scotland could beat Italy, why not Ireland? I'm not saying we're going to do it, but I don't see with the players we have why we can't. There is a way to do this, I just hope Trap can find it.

Oh yeah we can beat Italy, it's Bulgaria, Montonegro and Georgia who we'll lost to.

That's very true, and very Irish :) But to suggest that suggesting we can't get something off Italy is delusional is just silly, football doesn't work like that

• Advertisement

Ireland haven't the players to open that italian defence.

Or the midfield players to deal with their midfield.

Sorry? Barry Ferguson is able to but Keane isn't?

Italy are better, but that doesn't always translate on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

By 2010 we'll be part of the United Federal People's Socialist Republic of Europe who will win every game 16-0.

Ireland haven't the players to open that italian defence.

Or the midfield players to deal with their midfield.

Italy will play that way in Croke Park, they won't at home. With McGeady a year wiser, he could exploit them on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Thanks Des, neither delusional or wearing green specs!

You may be right, however our record against the 'elite' teams in qualifiers is not that bad. We got a draw and a loss against Germany and France in the last two qualifiers and prior to that had two draws against portugal and a win and a draw against Holland. Different team altogether I admit but Ireland always seem more up for it against the decent teams. Its the not so decent ones (perceived) that we slip up against, e.g. Bulgaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

As long as Ireland keeps sending our talent to English clubs they will continue to fail.We should be looking to Italy,Germany,France etc....these are countrys who know how to win.Was it the new German coach Lowe that said in his first press conference in charge "we need to change our mentality,even San Marino can run and tackle at 100 mls an hour for 90 mins".....We dont have a chance in hell of qualifying.

Its not hard to teach the player at home in their own country. All it takes is the development of an International Complex for the best players in the country.

We don't need to send them abroad...we need them to stay here. Then the best*like modric with croatia* move to better leagues.

Your talking nonsense saying we don't have a chance in hell. We obviously have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gixerfixer wrote:
    We dont have a chance in hell of qualifying

Course we do. People forget how close the Scots and Norn Iron came to qualifying. Are we to believe that we have inferior players to those two? No. We had an inferior manager who hadn't got a clue but that's no longer the case.

I believe Italy will win the group but I think we can and will make the play-offs. Obviously we've had our hearts broken via that system many times but we definitely would have a chance.

The thing is we played **** with a crap manager and still finished third in the group. We were not near the level we could play. Northern Ireland and Scotland had qualifcation campaigns of their lives and only finished third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I think this group will be very open until the last couple of games.

It's not about beating Italy though, it's about getting 6 points against as many of the other teams as we can

• Advertisement
Advertisement