Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Ireland will qualify for the World Cup?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Sep 6 v Georgia (a) 3

Sep 10 v Montenegro (a) 3

Oct 15 v Cyprus (h) 3

Feb 11 v Georgia (h) 3

Mar 28 v v Bulgaria (h) 3

Apr 1 v Italy (a) 0

Jun 6 v Bulgaria (a) 1

Sep 5 v Cyprus (a) 1

Oct 10 v Italy (h) 1

Oct 14 v Montenegro (h) 3

21 points lads

Assuming 3 away against Georgia is nuts. I saw them vs Scotland. They are by no means a bad team. Defended well. Montenegro are the biggest 6th seed nightmare we could have drawn. Cyprus is no longer a sure bet even at home.

tbh I think we have more chance of upsetting Italy in Rome than beating Georgia in Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

shane86 wrote: »
    Assuming 3 away against Georgia is nuts. I saw them vs Scotland. They are by no means a bad team. Defended well. Montenegro are the biggest 6th seed nightmare we could have drawn. Cyprus is no longer a sure bet even at home.

tbh I think we have more chance of upsetting Italy in Rome than beating Georgia in Georgia.

I wouldnt say nuts shane. Well doable in my opinion. Saying getting 3 points in Italy is nuts but not georgia. Realistically i believe we can nab all wins in the first 5 games. It's from April 1 on that we will probably drop the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

gosplan wrote: »
    Oh no, we're in group 8. :eek::eek::eek:

Trust me, 9 European groups, 9 group winners, 8 best runners-up playoff for four places. 13 European teams go to the finals.

You're quite right, don't know where I got my groups from at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Y'know I was trying to think of the last time we won 5 in a row and had to consult the archives. We did it though - twice!

Won 5 in 2000/2001 vrs Estonia, Finland, Cyrpus and Andorrra * 2.

But we won a whopping 8 in a row under Charlton in the run up to Euro 88 - Brazil, Lux * 2, Bulgaria, Israel, Romania, Yugoslavia and Poland.

Imagine we went on a winning streak like that against those teams these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You're quite right, don't know where I got my groups from at all.

Understandable, your mind was probably preoccupied with thoughts of floating and 3-betting light and that kind of stuff. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Don't forget, head-to-head results are reckoned after goal difference again for this tournament. Goal difference/goals scored is bad for a team like Ireland who can't put matches out of reach or trounce the minnows.

Of course we have a chance with Trap. Like most people are saying, the first two matches will be the telling factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Think the obvious factor would be a slight improvement in the quality of the squad since Stan.

Stan was an awful manager, but the team he inherited was God-awful.

Saying that, there's always hope, we've a canny old manager, and some very decent players.

Advertisement