Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dc69 ban from rugby forum

Options
  • 22-06-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I would just like to voice my amazement at dc69's recent 6 month ban from the rugby forum.

dc69 has by far been one of the biggest contributors to the rugby forum over this past year and clearly has a huge knowledge of rugby. His posts are always interesting, informed and detailed.

He was banned for responding to an idiotic comment by a poster trying to bring interprovincial ****e into discussion and replying 'i think your an idiot tbh' in the context he was on the mark he was saying the poster was being an idiot bringing in interprovincial ****e when it had no relevance. And this wasn't Inquitus first time doing this so for him to get a measly 2 weeks whilst a much more valued poster gets 6 months is IMO a joke.

6 months is way OTT for what is a highly valued poster who unfortunately got dragged down to Inquitus' level in a moment of madness but let us not forget that dc69 has on countless occasions brought new and interesting topics and debates to the forum and IMO contributed largely to it's current success.

RuggieBear is a great moderator but this time I feel he has gone too far.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bans are accumlative, no one gets a 6month ban out of the box, it is done when some one is a repeat offender and has not learned to follow the rules.

Sounds like he should have known better and didnt report the post so tough shít tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

dc69 has by far been one of the biggest contributors to the rugby forum over this past year

Wait, what?

Anyway, as Thaed said, sounds like he acted the bollocks in the past and got what he deserved. Ruggiebear is a solid moderator and wouldn't just be handing out 6 month bans for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness RugbyFanatic, you're barely here a wet week.

If it was Ruggiebear, he's a good mod, and I've noticed he's stamping out the crap in the Rugby forum, which has greatly suffered over the last 12 months from Munster v Leinster rubbish.

So before it hits rock bottom, bannings are probably the best approach.

This isn't the firstincident I've seen both dc69 and Inquitus drag threads into a horrible mess of provincial willy waving.

This probably relates to this post - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56322980#post56322980

But as noted wasn't the first time it has happened, and as someone who has contributed to the rugby forum over the years, I think this is the correct action.

For anyone who doesn't frequent the rugby forum, it's a complete mess since the influx of new posters, almost every thread turns into Munster v Leinster slagfest, sometimes not obvious but full of sly little digs at each other. The problem probably being that these new posters are coming from Munsterfans.com & Leinsterfans.com were the core users are from one side of the fence.

Anyway, now might be a time to rethink who moderates that forum, and the approach that should be taken. (not a dig at any current mod, but perhaps an agreed guideline on bannings etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm always amused by these threads on behalf of someone else.

dc69 is a good contributor but he's not learning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=2264661

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »

Lol, more than enough to warrant the 6 month ban. Seems he's quite lucky it isn't permanent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't bother linking to search results. They expire after a while. It still works though and after seeing the links, Ruggie did the right thing. I'm surprised DC hasn't been permanently banned at this stage. Hopefully, for his sake he's learns his lesson this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

dc69 has been one of the most disruptive influences on the Rugby forum since he joined. Most of his sniping and attempts at baiting etc. were removed due to their inflammatory nature.

He contributes very little in the grand scheme of things. if you're talking about quantity rather than quality, then yes, he popped up in a lot of threads. However, to be perfectly frank, it was only a matter of time before he was banned.

If RuggieBear hadn't done it I'm sure I would have and I'm not as easy going as Ruggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

nice little search that one. (don't think you get to see all the deleted threads tho, do you?)

Via pm I've talked to dc69 and have reduced the ban to two months. But the next ban after that will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Rb wrote: »
    Wait, what?

Wait for the 'long time reader, only recent poster' line.

dc69 has 11 infractions and numerous warnings to their name - can you guess what for?
    dc69 received several warnings from Ruggie...meh. Why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Search has expired by now Sherifu. Relink? :D

In all honesty, even on every other forum I've seen a post from dc69 on, has always been a small, sly remark designed to bite someone else without going far enough over the line to merit a ban.

11 infractions speaks for itself in all honesty. Soon as someone reaches 10 infractions, that really does say something.

Most of what the OP has seen is the positive contributions, as the negative ones have more than likely being removed.

Two months isn't too bad, dc69 will have to live with it. There's some bans which are unfair, but for the most part there's bans which are well deserved - and this is a well deserved ban in my opinion if what I saw of him before on other B.ie forums counts.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

my 5c is that he ignored 2 infractions and warnings by PM and had to be banned from the golf forum, have to doubt he is an asset to any forum based on his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Whats the story now with the fact he made a second account and posted again is the ban extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's a siteban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He was also (in all forms) perm banned from soccer last week.

I didn't take the issue further at the time, but perhaps I should have. Someone who vindictively posts a persons e-mail and personal details in a forum and suggests people spam them, simply because he didn't like his point of view, well, that type of person has no place in this community imho.

It seems to me that he has/is learning nothing from the bannings.

smods, if you want the post I'm referring to, I will direct you.

PSI wrote: »
    Someone who vindictively posts a persons e-mail and personal details in a forum and suggests people spam them, simply because he didn't like his point of view, well, that type of person has no place in this community imho.

Agreed. Added with
    PSI wrote:
    It seems to me that he has/is learning nothing from the bannings.

Would suggest that the site is a lot better off without him/his type.

However, it'd also suggest that he'll be back. This idiots seem to take more than a few site-bans to get the message they're not wanted here (see DBC2007, mantime et al. for example).

Looks like the smods will have their hands full for the next while with all these re-regging muppets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

As a Munsterfan who took his bait more than once I have very little sympathy for him, he was clearly warned and received at least one ban (as did I) and if one doesn't learn for that then so be it.

Maybe we should be like the GAA and have an appeals committee with the rite to another appeal if that fails.

BTW, is the ban from the rugby forum or from Boards, if it's boards then I'd go with harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

phog wrote: »
    BTW, is the ban from the rugby forum or from Boards, if it's boards then I'd go with harsh.
    Site ban. There is no mercy for reregs evading bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

phog wrote: »
    Frankly, he won't be missed.

The rules are quite clear, if you re-register to get around a forum ban your accounts will be site banned. His initial ban was even reduced upon discussion with him. If he can't even survive a fortnight ...

Alas, I doubt this will be the last time he'll re-register, he has nobody to blame but himself. If anything he survived longer on boards.ie than he probably should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Stev_o wrote: »
    Whats the story now with the fact he made a second account and posted again is the ban extended?
    The story with that is that he really isn't very bright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Talliesin wrote: »
    The story with that is that he really isn't very bright.
    True, he could have at least tried to hide his identity. Should have called himself not_dc69, no one would have copped it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

True, he could have at least tried to hide his identity. Should have called himself not_dc69, no one would have copped it then.

Well i done i think dc_6911 is very very very stealth so cunning infact you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel

Advertisement