Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car and need advice.(please)

Options
  • 22-06-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my car to a 5 door, newer model.
    I have a micra, which I love but have to get a 5 door as the kids are driving me mad.I still have my 6 yr old n a 5 point car seat so I have to strap her in and its to much.
    Anyway.
    I am looking at Kia Piancto (2004-2005) or a toyota Yaris (00-01)
    Differance in years is because of the price.
    I have read reviews of both cars and Yaris seems populer becasue its a toyota .Picanto seems like a good car, reviews where good except for one which gave our about getting a spare wheel?
    I spoke to a local Japanese importers but they dont have aution sheets( one of the guys/Girls on Boards said to ask for one of these ) as they buy in from a dealer in Japan. So I am warey of buying from him.
    I suppose I need advice as to whats your thoughts on either car, and wht should I look out for.
    I have never bought a car before , my husband and Uncle helped me with the last one, my Much loved Micra....:o
    I really appricate any help, tips, advice etc.
    Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ello, what kinda budget have u?
    The safety rating on these two cars are some what similar, (kia is short a star on adult rating). Other than that the Kia looks to be a smaller car, although i haven't had much experience with them. I'd go for the Yaris, more well known, reliable and proparly better resale in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What kind of annual mileage/ useage do you have? City/ country/ traffic/ bad roads, dual carriageways, night driving.

IMO, in Ireland, 95% of Micra owners need something more substancial but there are motivators that lead them to choose the wrong car. These are city cars, not allrounders. It's strictly a decision, bigger/ better cars are not necessarily more expensive to run. Conversely, city cars represent the poorest value for money in the market so, in general, leaning towards something more comfortable/ safer/ larger would be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi, I need them fr school runs, shopping, picking up kids from dance class, the odd hospital visit.Mostly short trips but a good few of them a day.3 kids ,plus the odd friend so I need 3 seat belts in the back.
    thanks for the advice.I am a very nervous driver and only want a small car.
    I tried to get into a wagon R and the gear stick was "different" so I had to get out, I couldn't even test drive it. oh budget , about €3-€4 plus my car as trade in !!!
    thanks all , again.Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd choose the Yaris over the Kia every time.

I'd also buy from a dealer in Ireland rather than a Jap-Importer, it's easier to get parts etc. for Irish cars, there's a better support network etc. (current jap Yaris owners, feel free to correct me here...).

There's a couple of decent looking ones within budget on carzone.ie if you wanted to have a look.
    If you see any you like, post the link to it here and we'll give you a steer as to whether it's a good 'un.

Personally, I'd be going to look at this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/1.0-SOL/1052210/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Have a look at a Honda Jazz. They look small but theres lots of room inside. The seats in the back fold away if you need to carry anything big. There is enough legroom for 2 adults in the back. Very economical. I've been getting 48 miles per gallon over last couple of months. Some of the online reviews say the suspension is very stiff but it really isnt that bad. I have driven on some extremely rough mountain roads and still have all my teeth:D Can be a bit noisy at speed but the radio drowns that out. It could do with a sixth gear when driving over 65 mph or so because the engine tends to rev quite high. But saying that it is really a city car. The gear change is also very smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Will the Honda Jazz fit in the OP's budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

The Suzuki Ignis is larger than the WagonR+, and is available as a 5dr.

Thanks for all the posts.I sat in a Kia Today and couldn't see beyond the window wipers.The guy selling it said I would get used to it but ..I dont know, I cant see the bonnett.He also said I could get a cusion.Wouldnt I just look great.
    I will have a look at the link and see .
    I did look at a 01, Micra, same as my own only 4 door.It wouldn't start , gut said the battery was flat.
    Then , there was a panel, behind the left hand door, and it was a different shade of red.I asked was it crashed , he siad he didnt know but would find out for me.He also said I would get a 6 month gaurteen and if I traded in my car, this would cost me €4k.
    Mileage was 44 k miles.
    I will try and listen to my dad and not rush into it but, I am just kean to buy the car, and stop looking as I am annoying myself and all around me.:o
    thanks again,
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

AudiChris wrote: »
    Will the Honda Jazz fit in the OP's budget??

Whoops! Sorry:o Didnt notice the 3-4k budget.
    The cheapest on carzone is 5800. www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Jazz/1.2-BEAT/1109273/
    If I were you I'd go for a yaris. And whatever you go for try to get a friend to look at it with you.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2038434

This one?
    I dont know how to find out if they are reliable sellers , I will ring tomorrow and ask about the warranty.
    cathy

• Advertisement

aggg, I bought it.I went out , seen ,paid a deposit.Clean car.
    Fingers crossed it works out for me.
    THANKS,:):)
    for all the advice and tips.
    cathy

Advertisement