Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa requirements for holiday in Montreal/New York

• 22-06-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm planning on travelling to Montreal this August for a couple of weeks to visit friends staying there for the Summer. From there I will be going on to New York for another couple of weeks probably by bus or train and coming back to Ireland from NY. In all I will be spending less than a month away and will not be working in either city. Can anyone tell me what (if any) visas are needed to do this and if there's any other paperwork needed to get across the US/Canada border?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You just need your passport. A return ticket usually comes in handy also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Canadian Immigration are very strict on you having a return ticket out of Canada. If you're flying out of New York, make sure you have all your travel arrangements out of Canada planned to explain as they may pull you aside for further details.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have some US dollars in cash with you, there's a small charge applied when crossing and they don't take Canadian dollars or credit cards. Don't know if they apply it to bus or train passengers, but they do if you're travelling by car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

thanks guys that helped a lot. cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Zaph wrote: »
    Have some US dollars in cash with you, there's a small charge applied when crossing and they don't take Canadian dollars or credit cards. Don't know if they apply it to bus or train passengers, but they do if you're travelling by car.

we took the greyhound from buffalo to toronto and back again and i honestly cannot remember having to pay a charge of any kind. Alot of questioning by the both the americans and canadians at the border no doubt but no money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Drove last month from Montreal to New York and had to pay $6 for a visa that lasts 3 months in the US. Was flying back from Toronto and had the flight details and you will also need the address of where you are staying in the US.
    I dunno if they have a fast track for buses, but took us about an hour to get through with waiting to be called and the usual questions...what do you do for a living etc...

I am sure that you know your passport has to have at least 6 months on it, cos I saw a Canadian guy have problems cos his was up in loess than 6 months.

Enjoy Montreal...I did!

Advertisement