Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Second Small Car and need advice

Options
  • 22-06-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Help, looking to buy a second hand small car, would consider going new if the July VRT brings a reduction in prices but we found two cars yesterday that I could do with some experienced advice on.

1. We saw a 1ltr Corsa 2007 used only for test driving with 1300K on the clock, five door and with what seemed to be a very strict price after discussion of 13,500 Euros with one years road tax.

And

2. Ford Fiesta 2006 one owner 15,000K on the clock, five door with a strange price of 11,000 euros compared to another car exactly the same for 12,000 (Possible to have this reduced). It has a mnor scratch (Unseen) but was missing the tow cap (will be replaced) from the front leading me to suspect if it was a car that had troubles??

I wonder what ye might think, we are far from rolling in it and require a second car in preparation for a new edition to the family so if either sound good or not, or if you think I could renegotiate either I would welcome any insight or advice.

Kindest Regards

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I don't know a whole lot about cars, but the corsa sounds like a better bet to me for several reasons:

1.Newer
    2.Far less milage
    3.Free road tax is a nice plus
    4.Corsas IMO have a roomier back seat so there'll be more room for baby seat
    5.From a driver comfort POV, I've driven both and the corsa is nicer to drive

Ok, it's 2.5k dearer than the ford, but as you suspect it may have been giving trouble, would it not be worth spending the extra money for peace of mind, especially with a little one on the way! If the car is a bit dodgy, you may well find yourself spending that money on repairs anyway. Are you trading something in or paying cash? Usually dealers will knock a bit more off for cash sales. One piece of advice I will give you, and it's something I really regret not doing before I bought my current car, get it checked over by a mechanic first, especially if (like me) you don't know a huge amount about cars. I'm sure other people here will be able to give you much more advice than this, but that's just my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i prefer the ford. nice solid little car. quite nippy for what it is.

had 2 focuses and had to drive a 3 dr fiesta while one of the pre mentioned focus was in for crash repair and was nice little motor.

as for the damage and stuff if you get warrantee from the garage should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

im always wary of anything that age that isnt 100% perfect apart from maybe a one off bump or scratch. Did you ask the reason for the towing eye cover being missing? seller will say it fell off probably but generally it means it was either in a drain or towed a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭m4j

Thank you so much toots85, Martron and mickdw for the kind responses, we too have run the gambit of thought process you all share, interesting today we were told by a family member that when he and his partner went to look at second hand cars recently that they were presented with a warehouse of old Corsas that could not be sold, they believed that 13,500 was way over priced for this car.

The Ford they thought to be over priced but a better buy and also said that the warranty would cover any potential issues.

God its a mine field, we dont mind investing in a car but people do seem to think that the second hand market will fall in price drastically over the next six months, apparently this was reported in a recent article in the Herald.

It is Hit and Miss I think? we had a brand new polo in 02 that was in the garage eleven times (Honestly). Changed to a Focus and although it had one or two issues early on it is now a fantastic car.

Had a look at the Yaris today and again a lovely car but seemed over priced at 11,500 for an 06. (Sorry we are paying Cash and are getting a 1000 off each offer for same)

Lost now to know what to do, but thinking an older small car less money and less to pay back with checkable service history, we are also lucky to have a fantastic mechanic which helps alot. What do ye think?

Thanks again for the kind responses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Toots85 wrote: »
    I don't know a whole lot about cars, but the corsa sounds like a better bet to me for several reasons:

1.Newer
    2.Far less milage
    3.Free road tax is a nice plus
    4.Corsas IMO have a roomier back seat so there'll be more room for baby seat
    5.From a driver comfort POV, I've driven both and the corsa is nicer to drive

Ok, it's 2.5k dearer than the ford, but as you suspect it may have been giving trouble, would it not be worth spending the extra money for peace of mind, especially with a little one on the way! If the car is a bit dodgy, you may well find yourself spending that money on repairs anyway. Are you trading something in or paying cash? Usually dealers will knock a bit more off for cash sales. One piece of advice I will give you, and it's something I really regret not doing before I bought my current car, get it checked over by a mechanic first, especially if (like me) you don't know a huge amount about cars. I'm sure other people here will be able to give you much more advice than this, but that's just my 2c :)

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement