Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Racing Through Paris at 140mph in a Ferrari

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭

Video here. Just in case there are a few people who haven't seen this classic. It's a great film :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Great video. I believe they asked permission from the local authority to close the streets and film this but they were refused so they just got up really early one morning and did it anyway - nice.

Then, last year Snowpatrol had the cheek of covering this video with one of their rubbish songs, the only music you need is the sound of that V12!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

anyone know what he's driving?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Excellent.

Expect a posse arrive in town on their high horses shortly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

He was driving an automatic Mercedes and never got over 85mph, its the film "Rendezvous" The ferrari sound was later put over the video.

*Rides off on his tall pony*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

In an auto box merc?

That film has long been exposed as a fake,the camera was purposefully mounted so low to give the expression of speed,when watching it try not to focus on the road markings but the buildings,trees and other cars for a judge of the real speed.

It is a classic non the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

tossy wrote: »
    In an auto box merc?

That film has long been exposed as a fake,the camera was purposefully mounted so low to give the expression of speed,when watching it try not to focus on the road markings but the buildings,trees and other cars for a judge of the real speed.

It is a classic non the less.
    Yes indeed. It was a Merc and not a Ferrari and the speed was not that high but it's the mixture of the noise and the low camera position that I love - very very good sound track and brilliantly realised for it's time. That's why I love it - fake or not.

Who *wouldn't* want to race in Paris or Rome driving a car that made that noise in the early morning dawn? Pure adrenlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Getaway in Stockholm series are the real deal. 160mph through the streets of Stockholm, being chased by the police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

That film has long been exposed as a fake,
    Not its not. Its a real car with an overdubbed sound. And he is most certainly breaking laws and speed limits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

tossy wrote: »
    In an auto box merc?

BUT 450SEL 6.9 is no ordinary "auto box merc". It was an astoundingly quick car for its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

maidhc wrote: »
    BUT 450SEL 6.9 is no ordinary "auto box merc". It was an astoundingly quick car for its time.

Is that the same Merc they had in the film "Ronan"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't belive people still post this one!

Here is the man behind the wheel as he talks about that film

Everytime I watch this I go off to look for w116s that are for sale :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

GB15 wrote: »
    Is that the same Merc they had in the film "Ronan"?

Ronin.... yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

That film made me fall in love with the S8 and 406.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Anyone wanna see a proper lunatic driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCp_AgkFdM

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't belive people still post this one!

You're right, Mike. We've done it many times before. But for anyone vaguely familiar with Paris who hasn't seen this before, it does look (and sound) cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True true, theres a couple of nice looking and cheap w116s on www.carandclassic.co.uk at the moment.

Miek.

Advertisement