Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Streaming videos through the router to my xbox

• 22-06-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I have actually successfully got the xbox to play the files by connecting the xbox straight to the laptop with an ethernet cable but when I try to play the videos while the ehternet cable is connected to the router it doesnt work at all,I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is with this and how to fix it. I have a feeling all i have to do is open a port in the router but dont know where.
    My router is a netgear DG834PN if that helps.

Any help would be very greatful :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

if it's playing while the 360 is directly connected to your laptop, that suggests that the cable you're using is actually a crossover cable and not the standard ethernet cable you would have gotten with it. laptop to xbox direct via ethernet cable will not work. similarly xbox to router via crossover cable wont work. ideally, i assume, you need xbox to router via ethernet cable and then wireless to laptop - that works fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

ok but if i do the wireless to router then will the files stream through the router to the xbox? oh and i am using the ehternet cable which came with the xbox so i dont know what thats about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

rejkin wrote: »
    ok but if i do the wireless to router then will the files stream through the router to the xbox? oh and i am using the ehternet cable which came with the xbox so i dont know what thats about

yup the files should stream wirelessly, the way described above is how mine is networked, works a treat.

i still think it's strange that your cable works directly and not when through router - seriously suggests that it's a crossover cable. there is a way of checkin by looking at the ends of the cable, i cant remember how to tell what's what though sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

ok turns out the ethernet i got with the xbox is a crossover one,its too do with how the wires are laid out. So used a normal ethernet cable called a strait(i think) to connect my xbox to my router and then tried with the wireless. Got the preview picture to show up but when i go to run the video it goes black for a bit and then tells me the connection was lost...so i tried using another strait ethernet cable connected to my router without the wireless and the xbox wouldnt even recognise the connection so tried using both and it works now,streaming the videos perfectly...really really weird that it does that

Advertisement