Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car is Broke, Advice Required

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Right then, I had been driving a '99 Alfa up until recently when the diff in the gearbox went and a such, it is now undriveable. This is the first ever problem I have had with it but from what I can gather so far, it will cost me about 2K to get a new gearbox and have it fitted. Quite simply, it does not make sense to pay this amount of money on a car so old, which is quite sad as I really like her :(

I want to get a new car (new to me) but am not prepared to fork out for a 06or better and would be looking to get a 2nd hand car, '00 - '02.

Two questions, I have

1) Will any dealers give any kind of a trade in on such an old car, given it's condition, when your only prepared to buy a slightly newer one

2) If not, does anybody know where I can sell the car either for scrap or maybe for some sort of stock car racing type thing lookin for parts. What kind of price would be available here?

Cheers for any help or info any of ye can give me - much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

2 grand seems a bit excessive - I take it you are on about a brand new unit at this price?

You would probably be better off getting a second hand unit fitted - it'd be much cheaper and would be easier to offload.

If you don't want to repair it though, you should enquire at your local scrapyard for a price on it or put it up on the likes of ebay - I'd doubt either would give you very much money for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

you dont say what type of Alfa but Nedd Dismantlers in Cavan/Ballyconnel have an Afa 155.
    Surely lots of them about.
    And plenty of mechanics who will do the work.
    Dont think any dealer would take any car that was'nt running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes 2 grand is possible. BMW quoted me 2.5k for a new gearbox. I got one 2nd hand in the Kilcock breakers yard for 300 notes. If you get the damaged one out, to bring it down there to do a side by side comparison to 2nd hand gearboxes they should have there, you could be onto a good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

+1 for a 2nd hand unit. There will definitely be one for less than €500 somewhere. If you can't get it in Ireland try:

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk

Here you specify what you're looking for, traders will reply with pricing, you should specifically ask about shipping prices too.

Advertisement