Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 week holiday challenge

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Ok, I am setting myself the challenge of getting fit and healthy before I go on holiday in just under 9 weeks time (23rd Aug.). It's time to stop messing around and to get serious so when I am getting onto that plane I look as good as I possibly can.
    Goals:
    • Exercise at least 5 days/week - mixture of cardio & weights
    • Eat 3 healthy meals plus healthy snacks
    • Keep track of food & exercise here to help motivate & chart my progress
    • Take measurements and/or weight every 2 weeks (anything more and I become obsessed)
    • Enjoy one treat per week
    Have thought about going to Weight Watchers but I know I can do this myself without forking out €10/week.
    Plan for tomorrow - to eat breakfast (porridge & fruit) and lunch (tuna with salad in pitta bread) that I will prepare tonight, have nuts at work as a snack & will bring yogurt & fruit. Walk after work for 1 hour to get started, no matter what the weather - rain won't kill me!
    Also need to stock up on fruit, salad and generally healthy food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck Helm,
    porridge & fruit - breakfast of champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi helm best of luck with it as well, i think your third point about not getting obsessed is very important. if your going to keep this up beyond a holiday challenge its important its not seen as a chore preparing and choosing healthy food, also if you love walking then brilliant but if not you should find an activity you do enjoy as this will maks it so much easier to keep up when your back from holiday looking fit,healthy and of course tanned (im guessing a sun holiday).best of luck again helm

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

I didn't get a chance to update yesterday but I did jot down what I ate so here goes:

Monday
    Breakfast - porridge with low fat milk
    coffee with milk at work
    Snack - an apple
    Lunch - tin of tuna in brine, slice of cheese, wholemeal pitta bread & salad - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers and onion.
    Fresh fruit mix & sunflower seeds
    Dinner - slamon & prawns in low fat dressing, 3/4 small potatoes and salad (as above + coleslaw)
    Later - natural yogurt, grapes & a few seeds Green tea

Today
    B/fast - porrodge & milk, Coffee with milk at work
    Snack - mixed nuts & dried fruit
    Lunch - salmon, wholemeal pitta with tzatziki sauce and salad - lettuce, tomato, cucumber & peppers
    Afternoon - fruit (grapes & strawberries with sunflower seeds) & 2 squares of chocolate
    Dinner - Prawns in low fat sauce, 4/5 small potatoes & salad (as above plus coleslaw)
    Later - greek yogurt & cherries Green tea

Looking at my eating now I know it is not ideal and I still need to make a lot of changes but after 2 days I am quite happy as I have improved 100% if I compare to last week.
    Back to weights tomorrow so am going to be in agony on Thurs. & Fri. but am looking forward to it in a sadistic way :P

I now have just under 6 weeks to my holiday and my fitness & diet are not going as planned above. I've had some good days over the last few weeks but equally some terrible days - like today :eek:
    Anyway, as there is nothing I can do to change the past, I am starting again from tomorrow.
    The plan is pretty much as above: clean, healthy diet with walking the main fitness activity (there's plenty of time for the gym/classes on the long winter evenings).
    Plan to post more often too as I find reading other diaries here very motivating - whether good or bad day, as I can learn from both.
    Thanks for reading,
    Helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Stick at it Helm. Perseverence will win out in the end...

• Advertisement

I'm pretty happy as I have made some big improvements all round this week.
    I went for a brisk 40 minute walk on both Tue. & Wed. and ate the following today (Mon to Wed. diet was pretty similiar).

Breakfast - porridge & milk Coffee at work
    Mid morning - a banana & handfull of almonds
    Lunch - 3 rice cakes, cottage cheese & salad - lettuce, tomato, 1/3 avocado & cucumber & olives
    Afternoon - natural yogurt
    Dinner - Salmon with salad - lettuce, tomato, peppers, cucumber, sun dried tomatos, sweetcorn & 1/3 avocado
    Bunch of grapes & a peach

I need to walk for longer and more often, plan to go tomorrow for an hour and again over the weekend.

Friday:

B/fast - porridge with milk & grapes Coffee with milk
    Lunch - Tuna with salad - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1/3 avocado, apple & celery :( and peppers.
    Afternoon - fruit salad - strawberries, mango & a peach
    Dinner - Chicken legs & prawns with salad as above plus ceaser sauce 1/2 bagel (as had no real carbs at lunchtime)
    Later - green tea & grapes plus a few strawberries
    Walked 40 mins (jogging on & off)

Today (so far)
    B/fast - Coffee with milk & fruit - mango, a banana & grapes with greek yogurt and sunflower seeds

Off for a walk now.
    Weighed myself this am - 67.7kg
    Don't want to get obsessed so hope to wait another 2 weeks before stepping on the scales again!

Advertisement