Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Obscure NCT question?!

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I purchased a new runabout today, it was tested for the nct 2 weeks ago by the old owner in dublin, but failed. I'm in Mayo and am still in the grace period for a retest. Would I be able to have the retest at my local test centre or does it have to go back to the original?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

Ring NCT and get a test in local center no problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've no locknut key, do wheels need to be removable for the NCT? I know you need to take off the cable ties for hub caps if you have them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

As far as i know you would have to do the re-test in the center it was done in before. You could probably do a full test instead in your local test center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

No they do not take the wheels off. The wheel studs must be visable, so on some wheels this means taking off hubcaps/center caps. They will not check for a locknut key. But on the other hand i would get this sorted as you dont want to end up with a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no way to change the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Lucifer wrote: »
    No they do not take the wheels off. The wheel studs must be visable, so on some wheels this means taking off hubcaps/center caps. They will not check for a locknut key. But on the other hand i would get this sorted as you dont want to end up with a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no way to change the wheel.

+1

Thanks lucifer (I'm going to hell for typing that!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As far as i know you would have to do the re-test in the center it was done in before. You could probably do a full test instead in your local test center.

I got a test done in an Audi A3 two years ago in Little Island test centre in Cork, it failed & I got a friend of mine to take it to the re-test. With some crossed wires between us he brought it to the Blarney test centre for it's re-test. They took it in despite it not being booked in & gave it it's re-test. It passed. So if that is anything to go by I'd say you'll be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You were right - I have to wait til the 14th of august for a test:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

If you have had the failing items fixed i would bring it to your local test centre and explain your case to the tester at the desk. If you tell them you dont mind waiting a while for the retest most testers will look after you. If their very busy they might let you leave it there for the day and test it if theres a cancellation. Its worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

You were right - I have to wait til the 14th of august for a test:(

If they can't give you a test with 4 weeks its free. Ring and ask to speak to customer service, they'll magically find a test on an earlier date. Might depend on if you've accepted the 14th August one though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

Hi,

I'm putting an old car of mine back on the road for the summer. It should be fine on the NCT except for one possible glitch.

The ABS warning light is on and neither the ABS or traction control seem to be functioning. Will this be a fail?

It might cost more than the car is worth to get it fixed?

Any advice?

Cheers in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

ABS not working, where fitted, will fail, from the manual...

Reason for failure:- Warning light not working or indicates a defect in the
    anti-lock system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

If both the abs and traction control are not working I would assume the fault is one of the abs sensors at one of the wheels.

They tell the abs system how fast each wheel is rotating so it can determine if a wheel is going to "lock up" under braking.

They tell the traction control system how fast each wheel is rotating so it can determine if a wheel has lost traction and started to spin.

If may be something as simple as dirt/muck on the teeth (of a ring around the hub) or a faulty sensor. If cleaning does not solve the problem I would get a diagnostic done to see which sensor has failed.

Before it was easy to pass the nct with a faulty abs system, just remove the bulb. However, nowadays they tend to check if the car has abs (and an abs light), so they will see the bulb has been removed.

If you dont want to replace the parts needed you could remove the abs bulb and put insulation tape over the "+" track for the bulb on the back of the dash circuit board. You could then put a wire going from the "+" of the oil pressure warning bulb to the + of the abs bulb. It will get it's "-" through the circuit board anyway. So when the tester turns the key the abs bulb lights up and goes out shortly after the engine is started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Durty!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement