Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing grass seed on a bank

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

An idea what is the best grass seed to buy so i can cover a bank of earth at the bottom of my garden ? Ive never sewed grass seed before either.

It was covered with nettles and stuff so i used weedkiller a month ago, the nettles went black and i pulled most of them out and the roots camewith most of them...now im left with a few dead roots and horiblle dry soil covered in stuff from the fiields (bits of straw etc).

Im not sure what preperation needs to be done ?
    Do i just mix the seeds with some compost maybe and throw it on ?? LOL

Here is a picture before the weedkiller.

Ive seen some ""meadow mixes"" on ebay with mixed in wildflowers, not sure about them

Thanks for any help for a first timer here.

TX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Obviously ordinary grass seed is out unless you plan to use a garden shears!!

Any piece of ground left fallow will generate weeds ( a weed being defined as a flower growing in the wrong place) so what is necessary is to sow something that pleases your eye. The meadow mix is a very good option since you get a good variety of wild flowers ( not just a mass of dandelions ). The presence of nettles suggests a lot of stones which you should remove ( nettles like vines live a well drained site! ). It might also be an idea to improve the soil by adding humus which well rotted compost is the best. Enjoy the dig!!

You will also encourage wildlife with the 'wild' approach.

I know of a house on the road between Blessington and Brittas that has a green grassy area on the road sown with wild flowers (mainly poppies) and have seen people stop and take photos in the summer its so attractive.

If the meadow option is not successful sow something like honeysuckle. It too will encourage wildlife, looks and smells beautiful, is native and will spread out and out-compete any nettle! Nothing else will grow but that is what you want in this case.

Or maybe you could get these guys to do it for you ( this is brilliant! ).

Advertisement