Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Quality Hotel.

• 22-06-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Are there any plans to build/develop a high quality hotel in Waterford? It seems that all of the neighbouring large towns have at least 1 high standard hotel e.g. Wexford has Whites, The Talbot and Monart Spa (although I suppose thats more Enniscorthy).

From the point of view of local industry there is one needed. No offence to the exisiting hotels but the standard is not that high and a high quality hotel always creates a good impression with visiting corporate personnel.

Just wondering.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup.. I think the KRM wanted to develop a hotel (but I doubt its going to get permission or will be very much scaled back) but also the new plan for the Ard Ri would be another hotel. Waterford has a lot of 3 star hotels tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Sully wrote: »
    Yup.. I think the KRM wanted to develop a hotel (but I doubt its going to get permission or will be very much scaled back) but also the new plan for the Ard Ri would be another hotel. Waterford has a lot of 3 star hotels tho.
    The Ard Ri would be a fantastic site for a hotel. Great view over the city and all. I remember being up there a few years ago and although the hotel was in decline the view was great. It's a shame that it went belly up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Eh I thought Faithlegg was pretty high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Eh I thought Faithlegg was pretty high standard.
    Good point. Got married there a few years ago myself :).

Its a bit out of the city centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

What's the Castle? 4 star?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KingLoser wrote: »
    What's the Castle? 4 star?

Yup

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yup

The castle is pretty nice, rooms are lovely but in an old fashion way certainly not setup as some high class business hotel or anything....

Cabaal wrote: »
    The castle is pretty nice, rooms are lovely but in an old fashion way certainly not setup as some high class business hotel or anything....

Its still 4 star though :) Iv never stayed there but iv heard similar reports. It might be nice for a relaxing stay :) I wonder do many business people use it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its still 4 star though :) Iv never stayed there but iv heard similar reports. It might be nice for a relaxing stay :) I wonder do many business people use it?

I didn't stay there myself but sister recently had her wedding reception their so I had a look around a few of the rooms that people were staying in including the presidential suite which is massive!

Looked to be tourists staying in it when I was their...well that's all we met in the bar anyway, its a nice place to stay I guess if your an American on your honeymoon...staying in a castle on an island in Ireland after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was staying in the Grandville over the weekend, that's 4 star too. Not quite worth that rating if you ask me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I wonder what Waterford Castle would need to be 5-star? I mean it's got a golf course on its own island!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

merlante wrote: »
    I wonder what Waterford Castle would need to be 5-star? I mean it's got a golf course on its own island!
    I think there are a lot of criteria to be 5 star including room size etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

the hotel in the City Quay development will be 5 star if it gets the go ahead.
    I think there are a lot of criteria to be 5 star including room size etc
    yeah you're right. i think i remember hearing something about faithlegg and the castle not being able to reach the 5 star level. in fact i think it might be impossible for some of the hotels to ever achieve 5 star level.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Athenaeum House Hotel in Ferrybank, is also a 4 star.

yeah you're right. i think i remember hearing something about faithlegg and the castle not being able to reach the 5 star level. in fact i think it might be impossible for some of the hotels to ever achieve 5 star level.

Lots of different factors usually apply such as facilitates, room size, facilities in rooms, beds in rooms, and so on.

I know that for B&Bs factors apply such as how many beds, type of lights, tea & coffee in rooms, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

merlante wrote: »

I'd imagine a gym/swimming pool/saunas etc would be an absolute must?
    Castle have this already?

I'd imagine a gym/swimming pool/saunas etc would be an absolute must?
    Castle have this already?

not as far as I could see it didn't, perhaps they'll get one when there doing all the extra work.

Advertisement