Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Surrogacy legal in ireland ?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Not looking for legal advice moderators - just the facts !

Is it legal ? From what I can find on the net it seems that "surrogacy takes place with no legislative provisions". What does this mean ? Can it be done ?

Any help would be appreciated ...

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The situation is, as you have rightly found out, that surrogacy has no legal basis in Irish law.

That means, its neither legal nor illegal- but is in a grey area without any legal rules or guidelines.

It is my understanding that strictly speaking the surrogate mother would be viewed under the Irish constitution, as the mother of the child. The donor, on whose behalf the surrogacy was carried out, would thus have to legally adopt the child, in order to raise it as their own. Given the rules governing adoption- were the surrogate mother to develop attachments to the child and refused to sign the relinquishment documents, the only course of action would be for the donor to take legal action, which in turn might percipitate the necessity for legislation on the matter.

I'm not sure if that really helps you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 inneed

i m looking for surrogate mother preferable india/asian,can anybody help in providing any contact,thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, this advertising for surrogates just makes me very uncomfortable, just does,nt seem right. kathyicon8.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moving thread to Parenting- I feel its a better home than the adoption forum. Parenting Mods- hope you don't mind!

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm not comfortable with advertising for surrogates either. inneed: You need to go through the proper agencies or a solicitor for this.

Thread stays open for discussion of surrogacy (even though it's a zombie thread) - but not for finding surrogates.

Advertisement