Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Telephone & touch-tone menus

Options
  • 22-06-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone using Magnet for their phone and having a problem when using the keypad to enter info or make choices in menus?

This is Magnet fibre-to-the-home I am talking about, not the DSL service they (used to?) offer.

I can make calls (most of the time) but I could not enter a PIN for an international call card service, so I had to use my mobile. I am trying to figure out if the problem is Magnet or my cordless phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm guessing that the number of people with ftth is pretty small, and the proportion of them on boards is probably very small as well, maybe even just 1 :pac:

I am not quite the only one, but perhaps the broadband forum is a better place for the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Fully digital telephones i.e. IP Phones, ISDN phones and even your own GSM mobile phone do not actually use 'touchtone' signals for dialling when you press the keys. The number is just sent digitally to the network and there is no need for tone dialling at all. Where as a normal land line telephone sends tones down the line to tell the digital exchange what number it wants. These tones are also used to control remote systems like voicemail, phone banking etc over a normal phone line.

All of these phones have an option to turn on touchtone to send the tones when keys are pressed during a call.

Check to see if there is any option to turn on "DTMF" or "Tones" in any of the menus.

Try pressing * during call and listen out for touch tone noises when you dial with the keypad. This sometimes causes handsets to start sending touchtone/DTMF tones.

If you've a manual for the phone, or if you could google one it might be helpful.

Well it is a regular house phone (cordless as it happens) but Magnet give you an Ethernet - PSTN type adapter box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're using a regular cordless phone it should work fine.

Check that your phone is sending touch tone signals. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, they're just tones sent down the line in the voice band so they can't be filtered out or removed as they're just noises.

Make sure your phone is set to TONE dial. It may somehow have been setup to pulse dial!
    Most VoIP adaptors will cope quite happily with a pulse dialling handset too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

This is also configurable on you account on the Magnet switch .. I'd check with them .. tell them you are unable to forward DTMF tones, providing of course you hear them when you are pushing the buttons?

Advertisement