Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Tattoos

Options
  • 22-06-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Chinese tattoos? What do you think of them? Do you like them, or are they over-done?

Chinese tattoos? 11 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Chinese tattoos as in kanji or as in japanese imagery and style?

if its the kanji you are talking about then I will do my best to quote AmazingEmmet;

'doesn't every kanji tattoo mean retard in english?' not exact quote but yeah you get the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

IMO they are widely overused. However if its what you want then go for it. Your tattoo so you decide.

Edit to add:
    They can look really well with a bit of effort, done with a wooden effect as if engraved into a piece of wood, or brush stroked onto the skin, or done as a Japanese piece.... would be a lot more interesting than the usual type you see everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got one done when I was a drunk 18 year old and have regretted it ever since... They can look alright, but you might as well spend some time finding something a bit more personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Wilburt wrote: »
    Chinese tattoos as in kanji or as in japanese imagery and style?

if its the kanji you are talking about then I will do my best to quote AmazingEmmet;

'doesn't every kanji tattoo mean retard in english?' not exact quote but yeah you get the idea

As in chinese text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

I got a chinese symbol on my hip when it was all the rage and after about a month was so bored of it,I got a big tribal design around it and I love it now. I think it really depends on what your going to do with the chinese text. But I voted nay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i would say it;s best to get something that means something to you. chinese symbol thong is waaaay overdone, and most people barely know what they have on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I know three girls between 14 and 17 with chinese symbols.
    'Believe', 'Hayley' and 'Cherish' I think.
    Also, why get something chinese tattooed on you when you are in no way chinese/interested in the culture/language?

Just my 2 cents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I'm planning on getting a 4-character Chinese idiom down my side eventually. But my parents are Chinese so that's my justification as to why I'm allowed get it done :D Unfortunately I can't read Chinese though so i'll have to get my parents or family members to write out the proper characters. But at least I'll know what I'm getting done is the correct meaning to what I want.

We had a girl come into our restaurant with a tattoo asking what it meant. Apparently it said chicken... :eek:

I say go for it if it means something to you and you are 110% sure it means what it's supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Really i have nothing against them, as long as they are done with taste.

But becarefull, some artist, might rip the p!ss out of you and draw something else.
    As im sure some one else has already pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

IMO they are widely overused. However if its what you want then go for it. Your tattoo so you decide.

Edit to add:
    They can look really well with a bit of effort, done with a wooden effect as if engraved into a piece of wood, or brush stroked onto the skin, or done as a Japanese piece.... would be a lot more interesting than the usual type you see everywhere.

I'm really liking the idea of that, not really the kanji side of it, but like, getting a piece done compleatly in brown, having it looked lke its engraved in wood.

Thanks for that idea, imma work with this.

• Advertisement

Aspiration wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting a 4-character Chinese idiom down my side eventually. But my parents are Chinese so that's my justification as to why I'm allowed get it done :DUnfortunately I can't read Chinese though so i'll have to get my parents or family members to write out the proper characters. But at least I'll know what I'm getting done is the correct meaning to what I want.

We had a girl come into our restaurant with a tattoo asking what it meant. Apparently it said chicken... :eek:

I say go for it if it means something to you and you are 110% sure it means what it's supposed to mean.

yeah, that's pretty fair. i've a white friend getting a chinese symbol on herself soon, but it's her son's name and her son's half chinese, so i figure that one's allowed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

nothing wrong with chinese tattoos as they have a meaning to the person who has one on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

It's not very popular or liked any more as people did the dog on it in recent years. The novelty of the "trend" is gone and now people are left with common tattoos. In saying that, I still want one as it'll mean something to me - something people should keep in mind about anyways before getting a tattoo in the first place.

As I said, as long you're 100% certain that what you're getting inked is exactly what you want then go for it. People may not like it, but you shouldn't be getting a tattoo for other people anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Aspiration wrote: »

As I said, as long you're 100% certain that what you're getting inked is exactly what you want then go for it. People may not like it, but you shouldn't be getting a tattoo for other people anyway.

+1!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I got myself a chinese symbol between my shoulder blades 9 years ago and totally love it. I dont care how 'popular' they are.
    Who are all you to give a fcuk if you dont have one?? seriously like!!! it's not inked on you so dont be polling or commenting when you ain't got one :mad:

hey, the question was asked, and the question was answered. i don't think anyone here has an actual problem with chinese tattoos at all, just an opinion. it is absolutely nothing personal, and there's no need to get angry. you should see how people feel about star tattoos, basically the same, i have one, and i don't care what other people think about it either, it has it's own little meaning to me, so that's all that matters. no point getting wound up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

hey, the question was asked, and the question was answered. i don't think anyone here has an actual problem with chinese tattoos at all, just an opinion. it is absolutely nothing personal, and there's no need to get angry. you should see how people feel about star tattoos, basically the same, i have one, and i don't care what other people think about it either, it has it's own little meaning to me, so that's all that matters. no point getting wound up :)

+1

It's one of those things people are always differ in opinion on. Why bother let it get to ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

ChewChew wrote: »
    I got myself a chinese symbol between my shoulder blades 9 years ago and totally love it. I dont care how 'popular' they are.
    Who are all you to give a fcuk if you dont have one?? seriously like!!! it's not inked on you so dont be polling or commenting when you ain't got one :mad:
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cherryvega wrote: »
    +1

It's one of those things people are always differ in opinion on. Why bother let it get to ya?
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

As said in the thread regarding tattoos in pubs n AH people will judge you for them, you can't stop it. You didn't think that those who have body art are somehow immune to making that snap judgement of others did you? I'm sorry to disappoint but we're human, just like all the others. When others see your tattoo they'll just think you're some scumbag with a tattoo, when those who are into body art see them they could reasonably assume (because there are so many who do this) you're just another fool who went in an picked it out of some book, no clue what it means, just got it because it looked cool/they thought it'd somehow make them cool. We all make judgements on first impressions so you can either let it get to you and lock yourself away in a tower or accept it and just know that you know the real reason you have that tattoo. If you really got it for yourself it shouldn't matter what others think of it, don't seek validation through your tattoos or you'll never be happy as there'll always be someone there to take issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

dont be polling or commenting when you ain't got one :mad:

So we are not ment to have oppinions on tatoo's unless we actually have that tatoo on us!!:confused: cop on would ya.

Mate of mine has his nephews name tatoo'd on his arm in chinese, he is Irish and his nephew is Irish/Columbian and born in France, so a fair oul whack away from Chinese.
    It's his first and so far only tatoo and I think he got it for all the wrong reasons, just seemed to want something tatoo'd on himself, didn't seem to care what and just went for the chinese as it is 'cool'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

farohar wrote: »
    As said in the thread regarding tattoos in pubs n AH people will judge you for them, you can't stop it. You didn't think that those who have body art are somehow immune to making that snap judgement of others did you? I'm sorry to disappoint but we're human, just like all the others. When others see your tattoo they'll just think you're some scumbag with a tattoo, when those who are into body art see them they could reasonably assume (because there are so many who do this) you're just another fool who went in an picked it out of some book, no clue what it means, just got it because it looked cool/they thought it'd somehow make them cool. We all make judgements on first impressions so you can either let it get to you and lock yourself away in a tower or accept it and just know that you know the real reason you have that tattoo. If you really got it for yourself it shouldn't matter what others think of it, don't seek validation through your tattoos or you'll never be happy as there'll always be someone there to take issue with them.

^
    This ++++++++
    Very well put Farohar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I got a chinese symbol 7 years ago as my first tatt. I thought it was cool at the time (I was 17) now I think it's the most horrendous thing ever. Made worse by the fact that its completely meaningless according to a chinese girl in my college!!

Am now in the process of trying to work on a cover up, this one I will be putting a lot of thought into though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

!!! wrote: »
    I know three girls between 14 and 17 with chinese symbols.
    'Believe', 'Hayley' and 'Cherish' I think.
    Also, why get something chinese tattooed on you when you are in no way chinese/interested in the culture/language?

Just my 2 cents. :)

Getting something like believe is a great idea for a tatt IF is means something to you - and as for getting it in a different language maybe the person just wants it for themselves.

For me getting a tatt drunk of for the wrong reasons - well thats just your problem a tattoo require lots of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

I like 'em :)

But I love Chinese culture and literature. Me and my wife got tattooed with some Chinese characters, but not picked from the wall in a tattoo parlor :rolleyes:

I've read loads of translations of the Tao-de-ching and we picked a chapter which meant something to us and got that done. But fcuk it I say, one mans art is another mans mistake :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Sure,.if.you're.Chinese.

Sure,.if.you're.Chinese.

What tatts have you got ? There is no problem having a chinese tatt. It's much better than a tiger :rolleyes: or some other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

T-K-O wrote: »
    What tatts have you got ? There is no problem having a chinese tatt. It's much better than a tiger :rolleyes: or some other crap.

.....Sure,.if.you're.a.Tiger. :P:P:P

DinoBot wrote: »
    .....Sure,.if.you're.a.Tiger. :P:P:P

So you have a tat of yourself....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

The symbols i was considering but probably in a more calligraphy font. As far as i know it translates as feel music. Iv used a few online translators. But you can never be sure what it means. Theres another tattoo i'm considering getting instead. Not completely decided yet, but getting there!

Advertisement