Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Tattoos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

*raises eyebrow*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

phi3 wrote: »

The symbols i was considering but probably in a more calligraphy font. As far as i know it translates as feel music. Iv used a few online translators. But you can never be sure what it means. Theres another tattoo i'm considering getting instead. Not completely decided yet, but getting there!

Perform a google search for calligraphy translator you could copy and paste that in and change the font.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I got a chinese symbol 7 years ago as my first tatt. I thought it was cool at the time (I was 17) now I think it's the most horrendous thing ever. Made worse by the fact that its completely meaningless according to a chinese girl in my college!!

Am now in the process of trying to work on a cover up, this one I will be putting a lot of thought into though!!

It may not be as meaningless as you think, as it may simply not be Chinese, or may be a different Chinese language from the one your Chinese acquaintance knows. It may mean something in Mandarin, but nothing in Cantonese. Or if it is Japanese, or Thai... etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

T-K-O wrote: »
    What tatts have you got ? There is no problem having a chinese tatt. It's much better than a tiger :rolleyes: or some other crap.
    Don't get me wrong, just because that's what I think doesn't mean it's law, I'm just answering a question with what I think.

I'm pretty sure most Chinese font tattoos are wrong and it seems to be a phase.

I can't talk, hell one of my tattoos in a girl done in Japanese animation, and trust me, loads of people give me crap over it, but at the end of the day I didn't get it for them, I got it for myself, and as long as I'm happy with it then I don't really care what they think so if someone wants to get Chinese letters on them, sure I may think it's tacky but if they like it then that's the main thing.

Don't get me wrong, just because that's what I think doesn't mean it's law, I'm just answering a question with what I think.

I'm pretty sure most Chinese font tattoos are wrong and it seems to be a phase.

I can't talk, hell one of my tattoos in a girl done in Japanese animation, and trust me, loads of people give me crap over it, but at the end of the day I didn't get it for them, I got it for myself, and as long as I'm happy with it then I don't really care what they think so if someone wants to get Chinese letters on them, sure I may think it's tacky but if they like it then that's the main thing.

Exactly how I feel if you get a tatt for the right reasons you will never regret it.

But I fail to see how chinese writing is tacky but an animation is not...

• Advertisement

Exactly how I feel if you get a tatt for the right reasons you will never regret it.

But I fail to see how chinese writing is tacky but an animation is not...
    I never said animation wasn't, I'm sure loads of people feel animation is tacky, but I don't really care because as I said I got it for myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i actually voted yay by mistake, so just wanna take that back :D
    I wonder people in China walk around with "pride" or "Friendship" tattooed in English...

I'd say they walk around with 'kaghjkjsdhg' and think it means 'pride'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Einstein wrote: »
    I wonder people in China walk around with "pride" or "Friendship" tattooed in English...

I think the advantage of chinese tats is that you may want a particular word or saying but you may not want a text tattoo. Or if you didnt want everyone else to understand it, if it was personal to you. Chinese symbols dont look like text to those of us that dont speak the language but yet they do mean something, once you get them right.

Wilburt wrote: »
    I'd say they walk around with 'kaghjkjsdhg' and think it means 'pride'

Anyone who gets a tatt without the proper research is an idiot.

• Advertisement

Einstein wrote: »

No they do what they are told to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

For those who don't want others to be able to read the text of what you've gotten done would it not be easier to get them somewhere where people won't readily see them, as in somewhere where they will be covered by clothing. Or are you too concerned with "but then people won't see my tat, they won't think I'm cool"?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think some Chinese tattoos are nice, but it depends on what. I have a little symbol on my ankle, but I know exactly what it means! My sister was taking a class in Chinese at the time, so she brought the design in to her teacher to double check before I had it permanently etched into my skin!

On the other hand I have a friend who got one while on her '6th year holiday' in ibiza a few years ago, which she just picked off the flash in the tattoo parlour. She has no idea what it means, and neither did the guy who tattooed it on her! It doesn't really matter to her, she still loves it and at the end of the day that's what really matters. The only thing is I reckon she'd be a little upset if she were to find out it meant 'slut' or something like that....

farohar wrote: »
    For those who don't want others to be able to read the text of what you've gotten done would it not be easier to get them somewhere where people won't readily see them, as in somewhere where they will be covered by clothing. Or are you too concerned with "but then people won't see my tat, they won't think I'm cool"?

No-one should get a tattoo just to be cool. They may not like the look of a english text tattoo. Or any other language with our alphabet. The may have a particular place whey want to get it. You should get a tattoo where you want it. That may or may not be a hdden area.

They may not like the look of a english text tattoo. Or any other language with our alphabet.
    But if they do like the look of the tattoo in a language they are not fluent enough in to be 100% certain that it has the correct meaning then I would say it was never really about the meaning in the first place, just "don't those Kanji look cool", they could attach the same meaning to any selection of Kanji/pseudokanji and they wouldn't know any better.
    The may have a particular place whey want to get it. You should get a tattoo where you want it. That may or may not be a hdden area.
    But at the same time you should hold no dillusions that no-one will be able to read it regardless of what script you have it in, so that's a rather pointless arguement in favour of the use of Kanji. More and more Asians are coming over here, some are even dating Irish people and so Irish people are learning the language, other Irish learn it just out of a cultural interest/infatuation with Animé, as such the odds that people won't know the meaning of any kanji tattoo are steadily decreasing.

But if they do like the look of the tattoo in a language they are not fluent enough in to be 100% certain that it has the correct meaning then I would say it was never really about the meaning in the first place, just "don't those Kanji look cool", they could attach the same meaning to any selection of Kanji/pseudokanji and they wouldn't know any better.

But at the same time you should hold no dillusions that no-one will be able to read it regardless of what script you have it in, so that's a rather pointless arguement in favour of the use of Kanji. More and more Asians are coming over here, some are even dating Irish people and so Irish people are learning the language, other Irish learn it just out of a cultural interest/infatuation with Animé, as such the odds that people won't know the meaning of any kanji tattoo are steadily decreasing.

Ya i totally agree about the danger of not knowing what it means. That would definately put me off it. I do sort of like the idea of getting something in a different language but i think id rather one that actually meant something to me.

I think (probably wrong) people are just concerned with the aestehetic appeal and perceived cultured aura of a kanji/chinese tattoo. 'I have foreign script on me, amn't I cultured and awesome. I am a deep thinker because it says so on my neck/forearm etc.'

It is a fad and like all fads they will pass. I realise I've probably p!ssed off most people here with Kanji/chinese tattoo's and I do apolagise. My comment is a sweeping statement and mightn't apply to you. However, some food for thought.

Think about it? Why get a kanji tattoo? The only reason why I would get one would be if I had some asian blood in me, understood the language or was so hugely into asian culture that I would not be complete without it on my person. There seems to be many here who just like them for what they are, which is cool. No problems, but let's face it it's just ornamental text/characters.

Reminds me of the american girl on modblog who got "drug'ail saor" on her back. She is straight-edge (doesnt drink, do drugs etc. ) and she 'did some research' and came up with that. It is a poor poor translation, and actually means (when tidied up) 'free drugs'. That is my argument for getting something in a language you don't understand. You leave yourself open for so many errors.

I would be more inclined to get a tattoo in Irish than one in Kanji, as I am Irish and speak the language fluently. I wouldn't get one word either like 'saor' or 'íontach'. Just boggles my mind.

If you disagree please go ahead and post here, just cos I'm a moderator doesn't mean you can't disagree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think I'm wrong go for it and we will battle it out... politely of course. :)

Wilburt wrote: »
    I think (probably wrong) people are just concerned with the aestehetic appeal and perceived cultured aura of a kanji/chinese tattoo. 'I have foreign script on me, amn't I cultured and awesome. I am a deep thinker because it says so on my neck/forearm etc.'

It is a fad and like all fads they will pass. I realise I've probably p!ssed off most people here with Kanji/chinese tattoo's and I do apolagise. My comment is a sweeping statement and mightn't apply to you. However, some food for thought.

Think about it? Why get a kanji tattoo? The only reason why I would get one would be if I had some asian blood in me, understood the language or was so hugely into asian culture that I would not be complete without it on my person. There seems to be many here who just like them for what they are, which is cool. No problems, but let's face it it's just ornamental text/characters.

Reminds me of the american girl on modblog who got "drug'ail saor" on her back. She is straight-edge (doesnt drink, do drugs etc. ) and she 'did some research' and came up with that. It is a poor poor translation, and actually means (when tidied up) 'free drugs'. That is my argument for getting something in a language you don't understand. You leave yourself open for so many errors.

I would be more inclined to get a tattoo in Irish than one in Kanji, as I am Irish and speak the language fluently. I wouldn't get one word either like 'saor' or 'íontach'. Just boggles my mind.

If you disagree please go ahead and post here, just cos I'm a moderator doesn't mean you can't disagree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think I'm wrong go for it and we will battle it out... politely of course. :)

Irish was what i had in mind too. Or ogham

No-one should get a tattoo just to be cool.
    Yet people do, time and time again, because tattoos are percieved to be 'cool', some people want one just for that reason, and don't put thought into it.
    Or ogham
    Can you speak it fluently? :pac:

Yet people do, time and time again, because tattoos are percieved to be 'cool', some people want one just for that reason, and don't put thought into it.

Can you speak it fluently? :pac:

Yep people do thats why i said no-one should.
    Ogham is a alphabet not a language isnt it? I dont write it fluently :D I dont think id get it anyway.
    I just keep looking into different tat ideas but i always come back to the same one. Still i'll keep looking for a while and if i still keep coming back to the same one i'll get that.

• Advertisement

I just keep looking into different tat ideas but i always come back to the same one. Still i'll keep looking for a while and if i still keep coming back to the same one i'll get that.
    Yeah it's an alphabet, I was just being silly (nothing new there then!)
    Coming back to the same idea again and again is usually a sign that you're onto a winner, especially if it's over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Will wrote: »

do you have maori blood in you?

Nope :) thought someone would come back at me with this.
    it isn't maori text, it's not even really proper maori style tbh, doesnt have the proper elements in it. We are talking about kanji/chinese text. also I just like the style.

The bad news is that both this weekend's (as in the one just gone) Sunday Times Style magazine and apparently the current issue of Vogue (according to the Style magazine) both have articles about all the famous people who have them and how they are currently "in" in the world of celebrities, hence we'll now have twice as many twits just picking a piece of flash off a wall, getting it stamped on their skin and thinking it somehow makes them cool.:rolleyes:

Would've thought we'd have left behind the Celt belief of tattoos holding magical powers, in this case to make someone cool, long ago.:rolleyes:

Oh and just a thought but for true authenticity should you not get ogham as scarification as opposed to tattoos, it was knocks cut into the actual stones afterall as opposed to painted on?:D

Bugger, can't irritate Will by calling him WilbErt anymore.... Think I'll have to subscribe to change my name too, it's what all the cool people are doing, if I have a name change that'll make everyone think I'm cool too! :P
    Nah, keeping that one aside for when I have to change my name to avoid unwanted attention.

Will wrote: »

You are unbelievably wrong. I have a tatt in a foreign language that has been well research and I know 100 % the exact meaning. My tatt is personal and means more to me that 95% of the people who get them.

The reason I chose the language I got was because of what the different symbols mean and when put together is was the exact meaning I was looking for.

You are unbelievably wrong. I have a tatt in a foreign language that has been well research and I know 100 % the exact meaning.
    I sure hope it isn't English. ;)
    My tatt is personal and means more to me that 95% of the people who get them.
    You can't really pull that number from no where, and as Will said, he wasn't including everyone in that post, I'm pretty sure he's referering to people who get the kanji on their arm from "hope" "honor" ect ect, that and the people who don't bother to do enough research and end up like the "free drugs" girl.
    The reason I chose the language I got was because of what the different symbols mean and when put together is was the exact meaning I was looking for.
    In that case it made sense, but I doubt most people think like that.

What if another set of symbols happened to give the exact meaning you were looking for, would you have gotten those tattooed on you instead? If so why even go for a tattoo in another language since it is the meaning not the langauge which is important to the tattoo and there are few concepts that are truely unique to any language/culture?:confused:

You are unbelievably wrong. I have a tatt in a foreign language that has been well research and I know 100 % the exact meaning. My tatt is personal and means more to me that 95% of the people who get them.

Glad you love your ink T-K-O, that's the main thing :)
    I just don't understand getting a lettering tattoo in a foreign language, unless for the reasons stated above you have ties to that country/culture. Do you even speak the particular language fluently?
    I speak irish and french fluently, and engrish too :pac: but would only ever dream of getting a lettering tattoo in irish.

By your definition there, wouldn't any language do then? Or was it that you just liked the layout/style of the particular symbols/alphabet?

I'm not having a go or anything, sure I was considering getting 'LoL' on my butt cheek a while ago.

I sure hope it isn't English. ;)

You can't really pull that number from no where, and as Will said, he wasn't including everyone in that post, I'm pretty sure he's referering to people who get the kanji on their arm from "hope" "honor" ect ect, that and the people who don't bother to do enough research and end up like the "free drugs" girl.

In that case it made sense, but I doubt most people think like that.

Ive come up with that percentage with the conversations Ive have with people, why did you get your tatt? Answers: I dunno, it looks cool, I just did blah blah blah

• Advertisement

What if another set of symbols happened to give the exact meaning you were looking for, would you have gotten those tattooed on you instead? If so why even go for a tattoo in another language since it is the meaning not the langauge which is important to the tattoo and there are few concepts that are truely unique to any language/culture?:confused:

Yes I probably would have gone for an alternative set of symbols but the set that I found just seemed to fit perfectly.

I went for another language because I got the tatt for me and me only I didnt want everyone to know the meaning. But I have told certain people.

Advertisement