Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scales being used in retail/deli/markets

Options
  • 22-06-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know if the weigh scales being used by retail outlets/delis/markets etc are regulated in any way? I remember from my bar tending days there was mention of a mysterious section of local government called "Weights & Measures" who could inspect a premises to make sure everything, in this the spirit optics, were calibrated as they should be. Whether this was true or not, I don't know, as no such person was ever seen by me in 3 years.

I ask as I'm going to be starting up a market stall myself selling organic veg and olives and the like and I need a scales. Obviously my kitchen scales won't do the job, and other industrial scales I've seen are costing a fortune. American and British scale websites have sections for particular "Legal For Trade" scales, but the Irish scale sites don't mention anything about regulations here. I'm not looking for anything fancy that prints labels or calculates prices. Just a digital readout. I know that if I buy a decent digital scale, one person one day will ask me if its legal or not and I'd like to know how to reply.

Info relating specifically to Ireland on weights and measures seems lacking. Does anyone know anything that can help me?

Thanks,
    T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the Legal Metrology Service - they replaced the Weights and Measures service a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

In my day Weights and Measures in Dublin City was part of Dublin Corporation. They were based in Harry Street - I think it is a wine merchants now.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

As long as its accurate its legal,just buy a decent digital scales 50-60 and test it out to test it get say a block of cheese that has the exact weight in grams,if its dead on or a few grams + or - your fine.My familys run a butcher shop for over 50 years and not once has any of our scales been checked!Best of luck on your new business too hope it works out well for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could just bring a 100g weight around with you.

Advertisement