Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine question before cao deadline..

Options
  • 22-06-2008 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me if you have to do two or one science subjects in order to study medicine or are the requirements different for different colleges? Would be really grateful if someone could clarify!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Different colleges have different requirements.

I think NUIG and UCD only require one science subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Its definitely 2 science subjects in Trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

You need at least two (I think one has to be chemistry) for almost everywhere, apart from NUIG if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

cautioner wrote: »
    You need at least two (I think one has to be chemistry) for almost everywhere, apart from NUIG if I'm not mistaken.

You need one science subject for UCD and NUIG. Chemistry isn't a necessity for any medicine course although if you do have it, you can skip pre med in UCD and RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

I think you need chemistry for UCC, a higher C3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

NUIG: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. Chemistry, Physics and Biology for 5 year course.

UCD: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. HC3 in chemistry and 600 points in the leaving for 5 year course (there's also other factors).

Trinity: 2 science subjects: HB3 and a HC3 in 2 of the following: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Physchem or Agricultural Science - provided the combination is not Biology and Agri science or Physchem and Physics/Chemistry. ONly a 5 year course.

UCC: 2 laboratory science subjects: Chemistry, and either Physics or Biology. And you must score at least an HC3 in Chemistry. Only a 5 year course.

RCSI: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. HB3 in Chemistry and HB3 in either Physics or Biology for 5 year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm going for medicine as well- and even though i have two science subjects (Chemistry & Biology).. I was wondering..
    Does Higher Level Maths also count as a science subject? And in Trinity isn't Geography considered a science subject?
    .. Or does it have to be a Lab. Science Subject?

(Just in case I made a mess of either ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Zorba's post (right above yours) answered all your questions. I bolded the important parts. :)
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

NUIG: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. Chemistry, Physics and Biology for 5 year course.

UCD: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. HC3 in chemistry and 600 points in the leaving for 5 year course (there's also other factors).

Trinity: 2 science subjects: HB3 and a HC3 in 2 of the following: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Physchem or Agricultural Science - provided the combination is not Biology and Agri science or Physchem and Physics/Chemistry. ONly a 5 year course.

UCC: 2 laboratory science subjects: Chemistry, and either Physics or Biology. And you must score at least an HC3 in Chemistry. Only a 5 year course.

RCSI: 1 laboratory science subject for 6 year course. HB3 in Chemistry and HB3 in either Physics or Biology for 5 year course.

Advertisement