Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Routers

Options
  • 22-06-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

is it safe to use this router with the pre-set settings and passwords or is it better to change the password for the sake of security because last week my internet was superfast and the last couple of days its slowed down a good bit

is the eircom wpa password difficult to break or would it be fine to leave it as is?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Change to WPA if you want decent security, WEP is much easier cracked

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

it comes standard with wpa,just wonndered if thats secure enough or should i pick a new password,by the way,does anyone know how to change the eircom netopia router password?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

delllat wrote: »
    it comes standard with wpa,just wonndered if thats secure enough or should i pick a new password,by the way,does anyone know how to change the eircom netopia router password?

Correct. The latest batch of Eircom modems come with WPA enabled by default instead of WEP as it was previously. The WPA key is also printed on a sticker on the underside of the modem, which is handy.

OP, it's fine the way it is. No need to change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

delllat wrote: »
    it comes standard with wpa,just wonndered if thats secure enough or should i pick a new password

Ensure that the preset WPA key is at least 20 characters long (although 33 or more is recommended) and is completely random. This will prevent against brute force attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Correct. The latest batch of Eircom modems come with WPA enabled by default instead of WEP as it was previously. The WPA key is also printed on a sticker on the underside of the modem, which is handy.

Actually he's better changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

nah leave it on the default WEP password Eircom set you, make sure not to change the SSID either! .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Actually he's better changing it.

Change what?
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    nah leave it on the default WEP password Eircom set you, make sure not to change the SSID either! ....

It's WPA

Change what?

The WPA Key

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

change it to your own code... then it isn't as easy to hack it... i allways find it handy travelling around ireland with free hot spots everywhere...hahah

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Didnt know this, suppose this is after the WEP/SSID comparing cracking incidents :D

Nick

• Advertisement

recommended to change the default WPA key also :)

Advertisement