Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 questions.. re: Hood, and Spots

Options
  • 22-06-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

ok, figured i didnt wana spam the board with two threads, so just gonna ask both questions here.
    am living in new zealand and took up surfing a few months ago. absolutely love it, got my own board and suit, took regular lessons, and would go out up to 5 times a week. winter has since set in, and last time i was out, 3 weeks ago, i noticed with every time i got into the water that it was that little bit colder, and more and more people around me were wearing hoods. last three weeks, been no surf to speak of, but looks like the weather's shaking things up a bit now, so what i want to know is.. how likely am i to need a hood? i suspect i may already be a sufferer of surfer's ear, but other than that is the hood going to be more necessary for comfort, or for health? basically, they're not cheap, and im on a tight budget as it is... what are ye're opinions?

and secondly, im coming home to irelnad for three weeks in september, and thought it'd be a fun idea to bring my mates for a surf weekend (none have tried it before), and stay in a hostel/tent/whatever, and rent boards for the weekend. had initially planned going to kerry as a guy i know here will be coaching there for our summer, but he's smashed his arm up, and out of the water for a guaranteed 10 weeks now. so was wondering, where would be the best spot to suit absolute beginners, has good coaches/lessons/board rental, and isnt too in-the-middle-of nowhere, as we'll likely be bussing it, and looking for cheap accommodation...

ill be doing some research myself, but figured this would be the best place to ask... was thinking baout the west coast... clare maybe, but let me know anyway :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Hoods can help prevent Surfers Ear and can let you stay in the water longer if its bitter cold out.

Personally I don't wear a hood at any stage of the year I find them very restrictive and don't give me a full vision range, block out my hearing etc. If its particularly cold out I use ear putty just to try prevent the water getting into my ear canals.

I cant imagine the water in NZ being all that cold so I'd wait and see how you find it, you could always get a hood sent over to you from here (they're not that expensive) if you decide you need one ?

As for the surfing weekend, for a combination of easy hostels, board rental (and decent night life) two places jump out at me -

Lahinch (Clare)
    The likes of Lahinch surf school rent boards and can provide lessons if the new comers to the sport feel they need them. A handy few hostels and a decent night life.

Bundoran (Donegal)
    Again two or three main places that gear can be rented and a couple of hostels (Stay at Turf N' Surf when i'm there usually, the lads running the place are dead on, do gear rental and beach transfer too).

This would probably be my choice to be honest because Tullan strand usually has something surfable, even when everywhere else is kind of crappy. Good spot for beginners, nothing worse than going up eager to surf and there being now waves.

If you need to know anything else ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

c - 13 wrote: »
    Hoods can help prevent Surfers Ear and can let you stay in the water longer if its bitter cold out.

don't think it's surfer's ear then, but definitely been suffering with my ears a lot more lately than i have before. one of my coaches swears by bluetack to protect his ears, i keep meaning to bring some along..
    Personally I don't wear a hood at any stage of the year I find them very restrictive and don't give me a full vision range, block out my hearing etc. If its particularly cold out I use ear putty just to try prevent the water getting into my ear canals. I cant imagine the water in NZ being all that cold so I'd wait and see how you find it, you could always get a hood sent over to you from here (they're not that expensive) if you decide you need one ?

i dont entirely intend to... but having swam in donegal in the december/january (in togs and tshirt), and having been in christchurch sea with a 4:3 wetsuit... im beginning to rethink... of course... still havent been out in the water in three weeks... was apparently a good surf today, but had to work :( it is actually colder here than you might think. defo colder than ireland. predicting more snow tomorrow... was colder than i've almost ever experienced the other morning at 6am, when my bus was 25mins late. i was genuinely close to tears, it was so cold.

and i wouldnt get a hood sent over, i'd buy one here... but they're about $40-$100 here, depending how much i'd want to spend, and tbh, i just don't really *have* that $40 to spend at the moment.
    As for the surfing weekend, for a combination of easy hostels, board rental (and decent night life) two places jump out at me -

Lahinch (Clare)
    The likes of Lahinch surf school rent boards and can provide lessons if the new comers to the sport feel they need them. A handy few hostels and a decent night life.

yep, will almost certainly be getting at least one lesson... can work from there after that, but for everyone to have a good start, i think twill be necessary for one lesson anyway. still bummed the dude i know wont be there, but ah well, such is life.

ill defo check that place out alright...

Bundoran (Donegal)
    Again two or three main places that gear can be rented and a couple of hostels (Stay at Turf N' Surf when i'm there usually, the lads running the place are dead on, do gear rental and beach transfer too).

This would probably be my choice to be honest because Tullan strand usually has something surfable, even when everywhere else is kind of crappy. Good spot for beginners, nothing worse than going up eager to surf and there being now waves.

and this place do lessons too?
    bundoran would be awesome, the days upon days i spent bodyboarding up towards buncrana (urris/dunaff/tir na sligo?)... would be nice indeed. will check this out now anyway... and you reckon that'll be the best bet for getting waves too?

don't think it's surfer's ear then, but definitely been suffering with my ears a lot more lately than i have before. one of my coaches swears by bluetack to protect his ears, i keep meaning to bring some along..

You might just have sensitive ears ? Blu-Tack is pretty similar to putty and cheaper too so it might be worth a try. It will keep your ear canals dry and should help prevent agains your ear aches.

i dont entirely intend to... but having swam in donegal in the december/january (in togs and tshirt), and having been in christchurch sea with a 4:3 wetsuit... im beginning to rethink... of course... still havent been out in the water in three weeks... was apparently a good surf today, but had to work :( it is actually colder here than you might think. defo colder than ireland. predicting more snow tomorrow... was colder than i've almost ever experienced the other morning at 6am, when my bus was 25mins late. i was genuinely close to tears, it was so cold.

Possible, havent a clue what its like in Ireland at the moment. I'm going to cry like a little bitch when I get back in the water in August I reckon at this stage. :(
    and i wouldnt get a hood sent over, i'd buy one here... but they're about $40-$100 here, depending how much i'd want to spend, and tbh, i just don't really *have* that $40 to spend at the moment.

Yeah I know how that goes, all the odds and ends can really add up as you go along alright. I'd reckon try the putty/Blu-Tack and see how you get on with that first. $1 putty is much cheaper than a hood !

yep, will almost certainly be getting at least one lesson... can work from there after that, but for everyone to have a good start, i think twill be necessary for one lesson anyway. still bummed the dude i know wont be there, but ah well, such is life.

ill defo check that place out alright...

Probably best, the old lessons can tend to be a bit expensive though is the only downside. Obviously it varies from place to place so shopping around on line is the best bet.
    and this place do lessons too?
    bundoran would be awesome, the days upon days i spent bodyboarding up towards buncrana (urris/dunaff/tir na sligo?)... would be nice indeed. will check this out now anyway... and you reckon that'll be the best bet for getting waves too?

Yep, I didn't take lessons with them myself but from talking to others in the hostel that did take them they all seemed happy enough with them.

Bundoran would definitely be my choice anyway. Last time I was there it was flat the whole way up the West coast but there was enough to surf in Tullan. Nothing big (about 2 foot or so on sets) but at least there was something.

Plus its a handy drive from Dublin too (I assume your Dublin right ?).

c - 13 wrote: »
    You might just have sensitive ears ? Blu-Tack is pretty similar to putty and cheaper too so it might be worth a try. It will keep your ear canals dry and should help prevent agains your ear aches.

not sensitive ears... like i say, never had a problem til the last coupla months, but ill see how they go.

Possible, havent a clue what its like in Ireland at the moment. I'm going to cry like a little bitch when I get back in the water in August I reckon at this stage. :(

i can't figure out now if im gonna love or hate the water temperature at home... the summers here are hotter than i can bear, and when it gets cold at winter, it's colder than i can really bear either. stupid extremes.
    Yeah I know how that goes, all the odds and ends can really add up as you go along alright. I'd reckon try the putty/Blu-Tack and see how you get on with that first. $1 putty is much cheaper than a hood !

yeah. out with a couple of mates last time, and of about 15people in the water, i was the only one minus a hood. for the cold, apparently in a month or so, if/when the waves get bigger, and a wave washes over you, it will not just feel like getting hit over the head with a tonne of bricks, it will feel like getting smashed on the head with a tonne of ice, and cause instant brainfreeze headache. my main question was, if i tough it up, i assume there are no healthrisks in just persisting minus the hood? :P gloves and booties have also come recommended... booties, i only tend to need once i get out the water (about a 5min walk to wear i store my stuff, and that's grass and concrete), but gloves im contemplating as well, and if i was to get all three... twould actually cost more than the wetsuit itself.

Probably best, the old lessons can tend to be a bit expensive though is the only downside. Obviously it varies from place to place so shopping around on line is the best bet.

yeah, ill be checkin that out, but just one lesson, possibly at group discount (there could be up to 15 of us... not entirely likely, but ill be working on it still), should set us up for practise and that afterwards anyway. i found i didnt need later lessons till after a couple of weeks and id figured out the basics and needed to work on technique etc.

Bundoran would definitely be my choice anyway. Last time I was there it was flat the whole way up the West coast but there was enough to surf in Tullan. Nothing big (about 2 foot or so on sets) but at least there was something.
    Plus its a handy drive from Dublin too (I assume your Dublin right ?).

well, im kildare, but close enough to dublin to be getting the bus from there, no doubt.

yeah. out with a couple of mates last time, and of about 15people in the water, i was the only one minus a hood. for the cold, apparently in a month or so, if/when the waves get bigger, and a wave washes over you, it will not just feel like getting hit over the head with a tonne of bricks, it will feel like getting smashed on the head with a tonne of ice, and cause instant brainfreeze headache. my main question was, if i tough it up, i assume there are no healthrisks in just persisting minus the hood? :P gloves and booties have also come recommended... booties, i only tend to need once i get out the water (about a 5min walk to wear i store my stuff, and that's grass and concrete), but gloves im contemplating as well, and if i was to get all three... twould actually cost more than the wetsuit itself.

Yeah i've suffered the Brainfreeze headaches. They're quite sore but I kind of got used to them after a while in the water. Often in the winter i'm the only one without a hood as well, I just find them far too uncomfortable to wear. They are warm though admittedly.

I haven't had any problems from surfing without to be honest (I was usually out about twice a week generally). I do have a severe fear of getting surfers ear though so Ill have to start with the putty more often in future.

With the gloves, again, I dont really bother. I find them to be a bit of a hindrance to my paddling. I used to wear them for a while but couldn't paddle properly with them. After a while your hands go numb anyway so you dont really feel it. :pac:
    yeah, ill be checkin that out, but just one lesson, possibly at group discount (there could be up to 15 of us... not entirely likely, but ill be working on it still), should set us up for practise and that afterwards anyway. i found i didnt need later lessons till after a couple of weeks and id figured out the basics and needed to work on technique etc.

well, im kildare, but close enough to dublin to be getting the bus from there, no doubt.

Regardless of where you do go try and squeeze something out of them, especially if you book the Accom & Lessons with the same crowd ! If your all same sex you could also try telling them your a hen weekend or some bull like that. Might even work :D

• Advertisement

haha, thanks man. not gonna be same sex anyway, but good to see i can get away with not having to get all that extra gear... can save up for a lighter wetsuit for the summer, so :D

Advertisement