Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architectural Technology - Representation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

How many of the 1600 registered with the IATGN because they were caught up in the momentum and feel good factor of the time and felt that this was going to be something positive?

How many of the 1600 would register now if they realised that the IATGN was going to turn into a limp biscuit?

Why support the R.I.A.I. when it is clear that we as technicians are only tolerated and not celebrated?

I understand the concerns expressed by some technicians about joining the CIAT because they are English. At this stage, they are the only show in town. The only group that if we join in large numbers we will be listened to.

Increased numbers in the RIAI will still only allow us one vote. Increased numbers in the IATGN will only allow the committee to tell anyone who listens that they represent x number of disenfranchised Technicians. Hello is any one out there?????

Can you hear me?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Hey Pesudo Tech, not sure if the IATGN is a limp biscuit, they are comitted people doing their best, it just takes time and we all seem to be a instant gratification lot!! Currently CIAT is really the only show in town so get on your bike and join. The RIAI will never amount to much for technicians unless they fundementally change and I can't see that happening, you know little things like seats on council in proportion to mebership levels of all grades, they're the mouldy biscuit in the room if you ask me!! My God Have we Dicovered Penicillin!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

How many of the 1600 registered with the IATGN because they were caught up in the momentum and feel good factor of the time and felt that this was going to be something positive?

How many of the 1600 would register now if they realised that the IATGN was going to turn into a limp biscuit?

Why support the R.I.A.I. when it is clear that we as technicians are only tolerated and not celebrated?

I understand the concerns expressed by some technicians about joining the CIAT because they are English. At this stage, they are the only show in town. The only group that if we join in large numbers we will be listened to.

Increased numbers in the RIAI will still only allow us one vote. Increased numbers in the IATGN will only allow the committee to tell anyone who listens that they represent x number of disenfranchised Technicians. Hello is any one out there?????

Can you hear me?????????

a bit strong but

I hear ya

No6 I will have to disagree with you. I, like many others still support the idea of an Irish organisation representing Irish Architectural Technicians, but I believe the IATGN committee have lost too many opportunities. They have disconnected themselves from the 1600 people who registered. I appreciate they have a limited mandate, but a number of the committee are wearing too many hats and negotiating with different organisations with one hat on but unwilling to do so with the other. It has become undemocratic, which will only lead to undemocratic decision-making. Well done to RKQ and others who started this forum to give everyone a voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Suggestion . Join the RIAI in large numbers . Boost the income stream there .
    Then there is a financial consequence to adressing / not addressing AT concerns . Then we can exert influence .

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Suggestion . Join the RIAI in large numbers . Boost the income stream there .
    Then there is a financial consequence to adressing / not addressing AT concerns . Then we can exert influence .

I fear there probably isn't that many elligilbe for membership without doing the exam, are they running one this year, I dont know?

Pusedo Tech I'm inclinded to agree with you about the communication from the IATGN comittee but they are volunteers so I'm also inclined to give them time, I was very dissapointed about the web-site going down but it had got out of hand as there was no moderation at least here if we call each other silly names etc we can get booted off. Please read through all the posts on this thread from the start (I know there is a lot) RKQ is not trying to set up an alternative to the IATGN and has made this clearfrom the start. This forum is for open discussion and debate about all issues that do affect us (including the IATGN) and once again I agree with you in that there has definately been some missed opprtunities but it might come good yet. Patience is a virtue a lot of us lack (including me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

As I see it the IATGN has been set up to get all of us together, step one completed, big numbers, etc., well done.

The committee are then charged with the task of structuring the ATI from the IATGN (give the body a voice, so to speck) which takes time (someone said 5 years)

Once this is done we should have a forum which we can shape ourselves to get our voices, opinions and concerns out there to the organisations and people who will have to listen.

Also (and maybe most importantly) we will have a platform to support the younger, newer faces among us who are starting out in this profession, Christ, we didnt have any support, lets give it to them.

Anyway, give the IATGN a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No6 wrote: »
    I fear there probably isn't that many elligilbe for membership without doing the exam, are they running one this year, I dont know?
    What would you call many?
    As we know, recently only WIT and DIT are accreddited, but these have are the two are the biggest, and have cured out the most graduates each year. From the last ten years, there should be maybe 500 eligble, how to spur them on, thats another challenge,
    and for the others, I know they run a exam every two years, but this is because the numbers are low, if enough applied, they would run one this year.

Pusedo Tech I'm inclinded to agree with you about the communication from the IATGN comittee but they are volunteers so I'm also inclined to give them time, I was very dissapointed about the web-site going down but it had got out of hand as there was no moderation at least here if we call each other silly names etc we can get booted off. Please read through all the posts on this thread from the start (I know there is a lot) RKQ is not trying to set up an alternative to the IATGN and has made this clearfrom the start.
    In principal I agree also, but i'd also stress the fact that they are volunteers, they do it in their spare time. They each have regular jobs to do day in day out, sometimes people may forget this.

Spot on Uncle Tom

Also, this thread is pretty much become a talk on representation etc,
    so i'll probably merge the last few pages into the other thread, and then lock this.
    its bad to have two concurrent threads

• Advertisement

Mellor I know one or two from LIT who are also elligible but havn't bothered why should they! they work in an office and don't need it and 350 makes for an expensive magazine, I did the same myself, went self employed and Joined immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

As I am not self employed, what are the advantages of joining CIAT for example? Recently I have found that I am getting left behind in some aspects (Engineers body got sent notice on the revision to the H&S standards which I didnt know about) Will I get this service from the CIAT or will it just be the english regs etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Slig wrote: »
    As I am not self employed, what are the advantages of joining CIAT for example? Recently I have found that I am getting left behind in some aspects (Engineers body got sent notice on the revision to the H&S standards which I didnt know about) Will I get this service from the CIAT or will it just be the english regs etc.?

No you will get some information on the Irish Regs and even Irish publications. CIAT in the ROI has a rep on the BRAB, in case you didn't know.

They also had a Health & Safety course in Galway at the start of june which was very good. I do have to say that the RIAI is very good for letting its members know what is going on although some of the CPD can be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Just completed CIAT application form. Going in Post Today

The fact that both CIAT + RIAI do keep their members upto speed with changes with regs etc should be reason enough for AT to join either, if ATs want to keep upto date.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Just completed CIAT application form. Going in Post Today
    Great best of luck with the pop record.

Agreed Archtech there's so much change happening you've got to do your best to keep up to date.

Good stuff Topcatcbr, have fun with the POP record, I'm still in the middle of mine that hardest part I've found is finding the time to do it and remembering what jobs I did years ago and then geting access to the records that fit some of the sections better that some of my more recent ones.

Mellor, the committee may be volunteers with regular jobs but the current situation deserves better. This cannot be handled as if it is a hobby or past time, it deserves urgency and attention. I do not agree with poor Uncle Tom that this will create “a platform to support the younger, newer faces among us who are starting out in this profession”. If you do not defend the current position achieved by those in self-employment then we will be left in a weaker and more vulnerable position for those coming behind. If we do not react and allow the RIAI to mould our future for the benefit of their full members, technicians in the future will be feeding from the scraps that fall from the Architects table yet again, sending us back 20 years.

• Advertisement

These pop records are tough going, trying to remember back so far, I've forgotten what I had for breakfast already.

Probably the way to go though.

Any update on the IBCI apart from "we'll get back to you when we decide our new entry requirements"?

Mellor, the committee may be volunteers with regular jobs but the current situation deserves better. This cannot be handled as if it is a hobby or past time, it deserves urgency and attention. I do not agree with poor Uncle Tom that this will create “a platform to support the younger, newer faces among us who are starting out in this profession”. If you do not defend the current position achieved by those in self-employment then we will be left in a weaker and more vulnerable position for those coming behind. If we do not react and allow the RIAI to mould our future for the benefit of their full members, technicians in the future will be feeding from the scraps that fall from the Architects table yet again, sending us back 20 years.

Surely if we "allow the RIAI to mould our future" we will be "feeding from the scraps that fall from the Architects table".

I believe we need to direct our own futures by nurturing those starting out in the profession. But this is just my opinion.

"I believe we need to direct our own futures by nurturing those starting out in the profession. But this is just my opinion."

How do you propose that we nurture "those starting out in the profession", by teaching them that they need to be subservient to others, by showing them how it used to be before we allowed it to be taken from us. Alternatively, do we making them feel that they are equal professionals capable of standing on their own, making decision for themselves?

Those who question the way in which the IATGN committee have managed the last two years are often charged with seeking to undermine the IATGN.
    That is so far from the truth as anyone who bothers to debate the issue cares about the issue. Trying to undermine those who have offered advice and were not listened to, those who have become frustrated with the poor performance and lack of urgency is equally counter productive. However, in reality, the real argument should be about finding balance between the 5-year plan and the importance of protecting those who put their faith in the committee. If they are not up to the task then say so. If they need financial support then say so. Most of all stop whinging, about it being, part-time, spare-time, amateur, learning, I do not know what I am doing, etc. etc. etc. It is too important a task for excuses. You have requested a chance to be given to the IATGN “to provide a platform to support the younger, newer faces”. If they continue at the current pace there will be nothing left to give them, what we will all have signed up to, will be more restrictions on what we can and cannot do, but this time it will be cast in stone.

No news on that Uncle Tom head firmly in sand hoping we'll all go away, cheques returned all round!!!

I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest Pusedo Tech is to get involved yourself and see if you can bring anything to the process that will speed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I have waited 23 years for this . Perhaps this is part of the problem - waiting , I mean .

However , back in 85 on the boat to London we left few behind . We were all snapped up by that then booming economy . I woke up one day to find 10 years had passed . Back to the old sod in 95 - and been busy-busy since - just doing it . As a paid employee I must stress - KUDOS to anyone who starts their own practice ( any practice ) . So I have not had to face the issues which are confronting a lot of you . But I have experienced a challenging and rewarding career and quite honestly would not like to earn a crust any other way .

So when would have been a better time ? Weren't many of us around here in the 80's . Same first first half of 90's . Second half of 90's many returned , just glad to be back . For the last 8 years we have been joined by professionals from overseas and on this mornings news I hear many are leaving now . So when would have been a better time ?

There is no better time than now . Agreed a "shuddering halt" economy ( thanks Minister Lenihan for the inspiring assessment ) is hardly the best backdrop . But Poor Uncle Tom has shown resources to cope with a worse time . And now is all we have .

The task ahead ....

1. Group together ( I say within RIAI - get in there and influence change)
    2. Name ourselves , once and for all
    3. Define what we do - always a work in progress . If RIAI determine this without us - get them to change it - they won't do this if we are outside that tent
    4. Promote ourselves . For brevity , or laziness , when making small talk at weddings and christenings I have fallen into the habit of saying "I'm an Architect" only expanding on that if the stranger was interested . From now on it's Architectural Technician
    5. Most importantly - keep doing what we've always done . Maybe with more balls though .

Well it isn't all doom and gloom, yes a lot of us have seen it in simpler times, it hasn't got any easier, that is why I think our experiences, good and bad, can help others.

I'm not saying the sun shines from the IATGN, I'm saying give them a chance. In the meantime if we join CIAT, RIAI Tech, or whoever, then good. The choice is ours, just don't do nothing.

Mellor, the committee may be volunteers with regular jobs but the current situation deserves better. This cannot be handled as if it is a hobby or past time, it deserves urgency and attention.
    Deserves better?
    With all due respect, what have you, or I, or the thousands of others just sitting here waiting got up and done. Its all well and good saying it needs urgency, but saying so from the sidelines is a little hypocritical.
    When people are reluctant to get involved offically, it will be a slow process.
    When its by volunteers, it will be a slow process. I'd love to be able to help, i'd love to be the hero and save the ATs of ireland, but I can't afford 20 hours a week of my time for free. And until we get a fee taking body, it will be a slow process.
    sinnerboy wrote: »
    1. Group together ( I say within RIAI - get in there and influence change)
    2. Name ourselves , once and for all
    3. Define what we do - always a work in progress . If RIAI determine this without us - get them to change it - they won't do this if we are outside that tent
    4. Promote ourselves . For brevity , or laziness , when making small talk at weddings and christenings I have fallen into the habit of saying "I'm an Architect" only expanding on that if the stranger was interested . From now on it's Architectural Technician
    5. Most importantly - keep doing what we've always done . Maybe with more balls though .

Agreed 100%.

If we all came together in a single organisation, we would achieve critical mass. Demands easily made and met. If all the eligble ATs joined RIAI, we would make up 40-50% of the body. With pro-rata representation we will not be moulded by the RIAI, but instead we can mould the the organisation.
    Nothing will get handed to us, ever

The two "meeting" threads have been merged into this one

• Advertisement

Mellor, It is difficult to get involved with a closed up organisation. It is neatly packaged, with Academics controlling direction, with committee members chosen (not elected) for their compatible frames of reference. In short, they are a motley crew of academics, career promoters, hangers on and a small group who genuinely care. The IATGN has been offered money by many members and declined. They have been offered advice and brushed it aside until the idea was one of their principle participants idea, then it was ok. To get involved would mean to be vetted or outvoted by a group of friends who fear honest questioning. RKQ called for open and transparent debate, something we have not seen since the inception of the IATGN. This was reinforced when they shut down their discussion forum as they were under pressure from questions being posed. I also believe that RKQ and his group of merry men met due to the frustration they felt about inadequate representation and lack of performance. Has anything developed from this group? Something positive that we can get involved with and move in a forward direction? It is difficult to see the light when the people leading the crusade are anchored in the past, and tied up in academic ignorance.

Advertisement