Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architectural Technology - Representation

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

TaraP wrote: »
    CIAT is in talks with the Law Society but whenever a decision is reached it will need to be ratified by both the Law Society and CIAT's board before it can be made public. Sorry I can't be less vague but a decision hasn't been made yet. If you want a bit more info then I'd say contact our Practice Dept directly.

Tara who is the best person to talk to in the practice Dept about this as I see this as probably the single most important issue facing AT's in Ireland at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

What has happened to the IATGN website? I know they said they were revamping it 3-4 months ago. Is this whats happening or are the IATGN no more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

What has happened to the IATGN website? I know they said they were revamping it 3-4 months ago. Is this whats happening or are the IATGN no more?

I tried to get on their website today and just got a blank page. This after a long period of inactivity dosnt look good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the IATGN are in the process of becoming ATI....

its all part of the changeover...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the IATGN are in the process of becoming ATI....

its all part of the changeover...

You would imagine that they would display this or contact members to inform us of this.

• Advertisement

Have they become a secret society or have they become so introverted that they feel they don't have to communicate with their members. If they are becoming ATI without consultation with its members its a recipe for disaster.

I for one think they are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Listen up lads, particularly pseudo-tech see post #150.

Now just be careful with what you post here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have they become a secret society or have they become so introverted that they feel they don't have to communicate with their members. If they are becoming ATI without consultation with its members its a recipe for disaster.

I for one think they are over.

what do you mean without consultation????

we voted to change the IATGN into the ATI at the last memebers meeting in the RDS... were you not there???

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what do you mean without consultation????

we voted to change the IATGN into the ATI at the last memebers meeting in the RDS... were you not there???

When was this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Don't rise to it Syd, see the comment for what it is.

• Advertisement

I wont have any hesitation in permanently banning anyone who deviates from the request I made. That request is, for want of a better word, enshrined in the stickied thread on the front page which was agreed between the forum mods.

I or the other mods will not allow any one individual to act the clown on this forum.

I think the question of whether or not the IATGN are still in existence is a valid one. A lot of technicians put their faith in them as a group and there is absolutely no way of communicating with them unless you know them, like some of the previous posters obviously do. They got a lot of support from many people and the least these people should expect is to be kept informed.

I think the question of whether or not the IATGN are still in existence is a valid one. A lot of technicians put their faith in them as a group and there is absolutely no way of communicating with them unless you know them, like some of the previous posters obviously do. They got a lot of support from many people and the least these people should expect is to be kept informed.
    I dont have any problem with you asking the question,(which has now been answered btw) but thats as far as it goes. You asked the question and got the answer and my advice now is to leave it at that.

With all due respect, the response was pertaining to a meeting that took place over a year ago. The web page is down a number of weeks at this stage and there is no communication from the IATGN. Are we all really expected to sit at home and wait to hear from them again in another year maybe five? I cannot understand the over protection given to a group that have a lot of responsibility but seems answerable to no one. Follow the example of the CIAT and use this forum to communicate to the members if the web page cannot be maintained for what ever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I do hope the IATGN still exists.... however, I always felt the closing of the forum was a mistake, especially on the night in question.

I hope the IATGN can contact its members on this forum or at least by email.
    The periodic meetings, workshops etc were very valuable. Again the current recession could provide an excellent opportunity for the IATGN.

I agree with pseudo-tech that the CIAT have provided excellent communication and information on this forum. IMO they had a weak presentation at the RDS meeting Two years ago. However, CIAT has completely turned this around and become IMO the number 1 organisation for Technicians at the moment. (Its hard for me to admit this but its true to say CIAT have done an excellent job)

Again, I will state I have great respect for the people on the National Committee, I am not knocking anyone but it is a fair question. Asking a question should not cause division or result in personal comments or "smart" comments. We must remain united.

I think the IATGN should contact its membership and update them.
    (I'd ask you all to Google "ATI" ..... it already EXISTS in Ireland)

I asked but you wouldnt listen.

pseudo-tech and RKQ are both banned for a fortnight. I will discuss this with smashey and Mellor and if necessary the bans will be permanent.

The thread is locked for the time being and if anyone is not happy with this then the can lay the blame fairly and squarely at the feet of the 2 banned users.

After a wee bit of snooping around I can advise that if anyone has any questions in relation to IATGN they can be contacted directly at info@architecturaltechnology.ie

Having had a bit of time to reflect on this I will open the thread again as it's not fair on everyone else who wishes to post here (in accordance with the charter of course)

Just to update you all the IATGN website is back up and running again, I suspect they had a late renewal for the webspace, Nice to see they are still there if perhaps a little quiet, thanks for reopening the thread muffler.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'm a member of the IATGN and the main reason is because its free. I looked at joining the RIAI and CIAT but I couldnt justify the expense.
    €200 might not be a lot of money to some people but I'm only an employee and I cannot justify the expense for a service that doesnt seem to give me any more professional credability.
    With regards to the IATGN, I havent been informed of the website being made unavailable or name changes and it doesnt bother me. But I have been informed about things that are important to me, like the seminar on the new health and safety regulations and as long as the IATGN or ATI keep me informed about things like this then thats all I'll need. They may not have the voice of the other 2 but they have their place. At the end of the day they are the only home grown organisation set up specifically to represent Irish Architectural Technicians.

Slig you mean the CIAT organised course posted on the IATGN website and as a mail shot to IATGN members...
    The Management of the Construction Design Process in the Republic of Ireland posted on 29 August 2008

Following on from the extremely successful first run of this course in Galway, the CIAT Republic of Ireland Centre is running this course for a second time.
    From the IATGN website!!!:D

No6 wrote: »
    Slig you mean the CIAT organised course posted on the IATGN website and as a mail shot to IATGN members...

From the IATGN website!!!:D

Thats exactly the one! I know it is a CIAT course but I still found out about it without being a member;)

Good to see both organisations working together isn't it!!:D I hope there's more of it after all we all just AT's!!!:D

No6 wrote: »
    Good to see both organisations working together isn't it!!:D I hope there's more of it after all we all just AT's!!!:D

I couldnt agree more, my point is that as an employee I dont benefit from extra letters after my name but I do need to be kept up to date with all that goes on in the industry. The IATGN doesnt have the same standing as the other two but it has its place.

Anyway who knows we could all end up joining an Australian Professional body by the end of the year.

Slig wrote: »
    Anyway who knows we could all end up joining an Australian Professional body by the end of the year.

Or one in Dubai, India, China .... one slight advantage of CIAT membership is that it is recognised more internationaly than the Irish bodies and may be a slight advantage if you go to abroad. :D

Advertisement