Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpack?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'll be going inter-railing soonish and it's time for me to get a bag. Argos have a crap selection and I'd prefer I right one. I had a look in River Deep or whatever it's called. They had a few in there. Not a lot of choice again. Would anyone know any other places around town that do backpacks/rucksacks, that type of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Try Millets in the headford rd. shopping centre or the great outdoors on eglinton st. I got a decent one recently in Millets for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

the bag shop in eyre square shopping center have a few if i recall.
    but i think i ended up getting mine in the great outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

River Deep and Great Outdoors as far as I remember are the only ones that actually sell decent quality backpacks in Galway. there is another place out by Tesco's that have some, and sometimes you'll find one in the odd sports shop. another thing, seeing as you're inter-railing (and i assume you'll be staying mostly in hostels?) you're better off getting the suitcase style backpack as opposed to the toploaders, they are easier to secure and more compact to stow. toploaders are better for roughing it and hiking. in general though Galway has a **** selection for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

River Deep and Great Outdoors as far as I remember are the only ones that actually sell decent quality backpacks in Galway.

+1 on River Deep and Great Outdoors, although I have always found the staff in Great Outdoors pig ignorant I always prefer giving my business to River Deep. If you are going for any length of time don't cheap out on the backpack you get, it is really worth investing in something that's good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Make the drive to the Lowe Alpine factory shop in Tullamore. I got a bag in there for forty bucks that originally cost €160. Not a second either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You could also try the Army and Navy Store on Shop Street, and there's a bag shop between Roches and Supermacs that has very good prives (the gf got a Samsonite carry-on bag in there for €79 that was about €150 everywhere else).

I've purchased in the Bag Shop in the Eyre Square centre before; suffice it to say that you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Great replies from everyone. I checked out The Great Outdoors and Millets. I was in River Deep not long ago. I actually bought a 36 litre in The Great Outdoors. I was looking for a 45 but they seem to be elusive. It fits everything I was planning on bringing but doesn't leave room for much else besides. It was a spur of the moment thing really.
    I think I'll have to have one last good look around for a slightly bigger pack to fit anything I might buy while I'm gone and maybe bring back the one I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

wet-paint wrote: »
    Make the drive to the Lowe Alpine factory shop in Tullamore. I got a bag in there for forty bucks that originally cost €160. Not a second either.

Where in Tullamore is the factory? Can you just turn up on spec and pick what you want or do you have to make an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd buy online to be sure, your pack is one thing you need to get right. don't buy a cheap one, you don't want it falling apart halfway through your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Try upstairs in Elverys on the Headford road. I bought a 70L Riptear rucksack there about 18 months ago..forget how much I paid but I remember being amazed at the price difference compared to other stores in Galway.

It was much cheaper than anywhere else at the time and decent quality.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    Try upstairs in Elverys on the Headford road. I bought a 70L Riptear rucksack there about 18 months ago..forget how much I paid but I remember being amazed at the price difference compared to other stores in Galway.

It was much cheaper than anywhere else at the time and decent quality.

That's one place I wouldn't have looked! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Wherever you look, try get one with zips the whole way down the side - it makes life so much easier if you dont have to drag anything in and out of the bag every time. And when you do get one, do use the waist and chest straps - your back will thank you (I know lots of people who dont bother).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

hi im in the same boat as OP. wat size would ye suggest getting for a month long trip? staying in hostels, doing eastern europe etc. also still considering a more-suitcasey type thing. advice please?????
    60-70L should be ok right? ill want to bring stuff home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Ainekav wrote: »
    hi im in the same boat as OP. wat size would ye suggest getting for a month long trip? staying in hostels, doing eastern europe etc. also still considering a more-suitcasey type thing. advice please?????
    60-70L should be ok right? ill want to bring stuff home.
    Trust me, unless you're staying in only one place for the duration of your holiday, a suitcase is more hassle than it's worth. Being able to throw a rucksack on your back will save you a huge amount of messing.

Well I've settled on a 65 L bag and I've done a test pack and all of that and it's fine. There are straps on the bag that tighten it up and make it smaller so I don't look like I'm carrying a mountain. It's only as big as it has to be. It's a Low Alpine bag and I got it in River Deep. I found them really friendly and helpful so I suppose I'd recommend a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

ya my bro has informed me that call of the wallet (wild) in sligo will have 65L ones..maybe ill get a 70 just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Army navy store... good quality ones in there.. i have had one from the last 9 years and still going strong ;)

Advertisement