Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My road to Berlin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Abhainn wrote: »
    Yes been googling that but can't seem to find the training detail on the web. Only option would seem to buy the book?

^^^^^^^^
    Save yourself a trip to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks Racing Flat appreciate that.

Clum wrote: »
    Well done, Abhainn.

I'd say I wasn't too far behind you all the way. Started in D block and ran 21.10 to 21.15 5k splits until about 35k. Was on for sub three up to that stage but was slowing and had to make a choice of chasing the time or risking not finishing. Decided to ease in to 4.20min/kms (maybe some 4.25s) and stride it home in a good shape.

Disappointed the sub 3 wasn't there but glad I didn't mess up the finish, it was an amazing experience.

I'll get that sub 3 another day.

Fair play to you Clum. I had contemplated stopping once or twice the pain was so much but glad I pushed on.
    Will never forget it also. Unfinished business for you also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Belated congrats Abhainn, that was a great time. Excellent race report it was a joy to read.

Best of luck Monday. Hopefully it will work out well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yeah best of luck abhainn, hope to see you for a pint

Woddle wrote: »
    Yeah best of luck abhainn, hope to see you for a pint

Cheers Woddle. I've booked a nice stool in the Lombard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Best of luck hope to see you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play Abhainn great time shame we didn't get to meet for a pint, I didn't get there till 5 but you never know maybe a pint in Berlin next year my taste sweeter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done Abhainn great time
    like you said in dublin marathon thread i reckon there will be a few of us with unfinished buisness ..maybe next year in berlin if not before then

• Advertisement

That's a hell of a double Abhainn. I cannot conceive how the likes of yourself and Woddle did the two. I've been back running well for a few weeks now, but lining up for a marathon would have been out of the question. Well done again. Next one you'll definitely have a 2 after your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Great time mate congrats.

That's a hell of a double Abhainn. I cannot conceive how the likes of yourself and Woddle did the two. I've been back running well for a few weeks now, but lining up for a marathon would have been out of the question. Well done again. Next one you'll definitely have a 2 after your name.

Thanks Racing Flat.
    Went better than expected. In the period between Berlin I did kinda follow the Pfitzinger plan but was careful as legs felt very tired after that race.
    (One of my big toes is still a bit numb). Wasn't going for the sub 3 as I suppose I believed I wouldn't have the legs for it after 23 miles.

Felt good in Dublin. Hills, were there hills? were no bother, miles went by with relative ease in around 06:52 pace. Lost a little time in the Park due to a toilet break, made it up and then shortly after my guts were starting to rumble . Some advise, don't take a multi vitamin tablet on morning of a marathon! Steadily got worse and decided to sort it out around mile 16. So lost a min or so there but some good miles after that. Mile 23 was the toughest for me.
    I wasn't a big taker of gels but definately found them great on Monday.

As you know I wear HR monitor in races and did again on Monday. Ok I was 2 mins slower here but rate was way down from Berlin. Only 35 mins in red zone here (>169 bpm) compared to 1hr 35 in Berlin. So very happy with that and probably had something left in the tank.

What's up for you next?
    I'm geting bored already. I'm targeting a marathon in Spring, maybe Conn ultra or Barcelona. Defiantely want to break 3hr in 2009 and spring time is not best time to be peaking for a race.
    Family bits in April and May means I would not be able to commit to anything really then

Back down to the mile for me. Will strengthen up with cross country for a few months, then after Ballycotton down to the short stuff hoping for big improvements over 800, 1500 and the mile by June. After that half marathon or cross country again. Won't go back to marathon until I think I can get 2.50 - which might be 2 years, 5 years, or never!

Best of luck with the spring marathon

Advertisement