Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo-Back of neck

Options
  • 22-06-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting a tattoo done there? Anyone experienced getting one there? How painful is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i've one at the back of my neck - script - but i found it, not especially painful, but the vibrating of the needle, as it hit the middle/spine just felt like it was grinding against the skull, just a very unpleasant sensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

mmm doesn't sound too bad i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

ive one on the back of my neck, too, and it didnt hurt a bit. twas like a teensy poke at first and then nothing:)

ive one on the back of my neck, too, and it didnt hurt a bit. twas like a teensy poke at first and then nothing:)

I'd hope this would be the case for me, i'd say i have a medium threshold for pain, but i only wanted something small there so id hope it would be over with fast enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

I have a big piece that is from the top of my neck to the bottom of my back - it depends how far it will go down and back up? It is not painful except for the obvious areas - on bones and skull...but other than that its not. I have a medium treshold aswell but the only part I found back was the shading on bottom of my skull and shoulder blades ( partly because my skin was raw after 5 hours of tattooing lol )

• Advertisement

I really only want something very small, something i could hide with my hair down if necessary. That wouldn't be that painful would it?

No not at all - I have 7 now and plans for 4 more and am usually a chicken when it comes to pain but have found that its the anticipation of the needle hitting the skin that is the worst as your all tense but once it hits you'll be fine. Take a chubba chub or something similar that has sugar in it. Stops you getting a crash afterwards

:D thanks, im so chicken about going to get it done!! my brother has loads of tattoos too and he can recommend a tattooist to me but im still so scared about it. Took my forever to build up the courage to get my nose pierced haha, did it eventually tho :p

akamossy wrote: »
    I'd hope this would be the case for me, i'd say i have a medium threshold for pain, but i only wanted something small there so id hope it would be over with fast enough

yeh, i'm not a fan of pain at all, but at one point i asked the guy had he started and he was nearly done :D mine's only little, too, so it only took about half an hour. you shouild be fine, so good luck!

xxx

Thanks, i think im definately gonna get one, but now i just have to choose what i want. Gonna be very fussy about this as i have to live with it :confused: how did everyone else choose what they wanted??

• Advertisement

i wanted a tattoo since i was about 8, when i turned 18, i fully intended to get the singing frog from looney tunes on my hip- kinda glad i didn't. ive a general rule to keep an idea and if you still want it in a few months, get it, so youre sure.
    the one i have now is a moon (cos i <3 the moon) and six stars surrounding it, one for each member of my family. (i actually ripped the design from a smashing pumpkins album:rolleyes:) so it kinda means something to me.
    my next one i hope to get snoopy above my big toe. in part cos snoopy is awesome (also i dont really like coloured tattoos) and for my part-beagle dog, who's my baby :D

just pick something that would symbolise something that means something to you, that you don't think you'll regret.,if you're in any way artistic you could design your own?

Ya i would want it to mean something alright to me, definately. I'm not very artistic, my friend offered to design one for me before but i couldn't come up with any ideas at the time. I just want something clean,pretty and something that won't bug me after a few weeks. Another reason for putting it at the back of my neck is so that i can't see it and get sick of it :D

Think about it for as long as it takes. I know this is cliche but you have it for the rest of your life! If you think putting it on will be painful - getting them removed is alot worse. A friend who got a small one removed said it was worse than anything she has ever experienced in her life! I not saying that you are wrong by putting it on the back of your neck but for the reason of not getting sick of it doesn't sound good! Have a think about it, look at your favourite books, pictures, artwork and something will come to you. I have one that I didnt put alot of thought into and I dont regret it but always think that I could of made more of an effort with it!

ah sure we'll see i guess, won't be getting it until i has the moneys to so id say alot of thought will be going into it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

IMO, tattoos don't have to be deep and meaningful. of course you have to think them over and decide whether you'll like them in years to come, but in my experience, out of my 7 only 1 has a meaning.

the rest of them i got because i love the design, or they're from a video game franchise/manga/culture that i love.

don't think that you have to get one done that reminds you of someone you love etc.

if you like the design and it reflects something of your personality, go for it!

It would have to mean something to me alright or at least represent something important to me. If i like the design of something i can stick it on my wall, branding it on my body is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i picked mine from lyrics that just engrained themselves in my head, and, depending on how they'rew interptetated, reflect a couple of different parts of myself. placement on the back of my neck was because it reflected an aspect of my personality that is always gonna be part of me, lurking in the back of my head.

IMO, tattoos don't have to be deep and meaningful. of course you have to think them over and decide whether you'll like them in years to come, but in my experience, out of my 7 only 1 has a meaning.

that's more what i mean, as long as they reflect something of yourself and you won't regret it in a few years.
    i knew somene who was all 'tra la la, i'm off to get a tattoo' and skipped into the place and flicked through the designs in the shop and picked a random thing that TBH was quite stupid and ugly (my opinion only of course:D) i just feel it's a bad idea to go in with out even an inkling of what you want. (haha- INKling*) at least have a vague idea and use the books as help

*sorry for the pun:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

For me it was the least painful place to get tattooed,id say go for it.:D

ya i plan to do it alright. I do think its stupid to get a tattoo on a whim though, would never do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement