Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROUND IRELAND YACHTRACE

Options
  • 23-06-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Anyone following the gps on the round irl yacht race wondering WHY team kingspan just tacked. views welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

cbreeze wrote: »
    Anyone following the gps on the round irl yacht race wondering WHY team kingspan just tacked. views welcome.

Just back from another event myself, so I was not following it. It seems fairly obvious that the wind was swinging more southerly and forcing them to the south. You can see the curve in the line as the wind swung. It was time to get back in touch with the fleet. Now the wind has swung even further south and they are heading for the corner.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Dyflin wrote: »

She is twice the length of most of the other yachts :) She may set a monohull record, but is unlikely to come near the multihull one set by Steve Fossett - 44h 42m 20s.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

having seen leopard up close i have to say, its a sight to behold, real 'wow' stuff.

LEOPARD%20-%20Racing.jpg

Personally i'm up for the dutch Formidalbe 3

495_1133949829.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Leopard Eats BMW Round Ireland Record

"ICAP Leopard on the finishing line to establish a new Round Ireland Yacht Race record"

At 05:48:47 hours this morning Mike Slade’s ICAP Leopard devoured a massive 10 hours, 35 minutes and 10 Seconds off the BMW Round Ireland Yacht Race record, completing a hat trick of records that includes the Fastnet Race and the transatlantic crossing. Near gale force winds - while not always favourable (bad wind is better than no wind) - helped the canting keel, 100 ft maxi power it’s way to a record time that will take a lot of beating.

The history of line honours in the Round Ireland begins with Force Tension in the first race in 1980 taking 5 days and just over 15 hours to complete the 704 mile course. Legendary Cork sailor Denis Doyle on Moonduster took both line and overall honours in 1982 & ’84 ultimately bringing the record down to just over 3 days 16 hours. While Moonduster took line honours again in 1988, her Round Ireland record wasn’t beaten until Laurie Smith on Rothmans knocked close to 4 hours off in 1990. Laurie Smith’s record stood for 8 years until Colm Barrington knocked a further 8 hours plus off the record in 1998.

ICAP Leopard has set a new milestone of 65 Hours 48 Minutes 47 Seconds and both skipper and crew greatly deserve to be congratulated on their achievement in difficult conditions and presents a much bigger challenge for others in the future - come back Colm.

Is Blackadder’s Baldrick at work in this years BMW Round Ireland Yacht Race?
    Kinsale Yacht Club entry Joker’s tracker hasn’t registered since leaving Wicklow. Is there a “cunning plan” in prospect? Watch this space.

While the race for line honours is over, the race for the premier accolade of the BMW Round Ireland 2008 - overall winner on handicap - is still wide open, with Super 0 class boats such as Alburn, Lee Overlay Partners & Formidable 3 competing with Kinsale veterans, Nadie & Two times winner Eric Lisson on Cavatina, George Radley on McCarthyMotors.ie and Bjaysus, for God’ s sake, amongst others.

Finishing Time: 25.06.08 05:48:47 (Local)
    Total Race Time: 65 Hours 48 Minutes 47 Seconds
    Old Record: 76 Hours 23 Minutes 57 Seconds

Difference: 10 Hours 35 Minutes 10 Seconds

http://www.roundirelandyachtrace.ie/icaprecord.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So - any other boardsies do the race?

We were feckin' robbed. (Mc.motors)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I was on Lee Overlay Partners the Cookson 50. She is the old Chieftain. Tough old race but I enjoyed it. It was my 4th lap of the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was tough allright - and wet.
    It was worth it for the west coast sleigh ride though, we got 22kts on one of the surfs, not bad for a 20 year old classic! :D

Advertisement