Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wembley Trip Advice?

• 23-06-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few friends are going to Wembley for the weekend to see the NFL game. I was just wondering if anyone who did it last year (on a budget) would be willing to share some advice on what's the best way to go about it.

Currently we're thinking of staying in a hotel near the Purple or Grey underground line and travelling into Wembley Park on the day.

Can anyone recommend any hotels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Ibis at Wembley was very cheap, even in the couple of weeks before the match. Wembley as an area is a hole though so might be better off staying elsewhere. The tube on the day is fine. They'll release the tickets at a certain time, last year there was massive queues to get them, we turned up an hour later and the queues were gone. Lots of guys go to the Porterhouse in Covent Garden the night beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Stayed in the wembley Plaza Hotel which is adjacent to the stadium. Wouldn't reccomend it in terms of comfiness but we were only there for one night so it didn't matter. As Jdivision said the area surronding Wembley is a dump so might look elsewhere?

Getting the tube is easy enough though personally didn't have any problem with quees although was displeased when they seemed puzzled when I gave them records of our purchase. It was only 10 minutes later when they found our details. Considering they wouldn't deliver them to Irish people well lets just say they made a balls of it.

Best of luck with it though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

When I queued for my ticket it wasn't too bad. I was only waiting about 5 minutes though I got there early. I remember there was someone from Ireland who refused to go unless he had his ticket before he left for London...feckin' eejit. Even though the ticket distribution wasn't run perfectly, I was still confident my ticket would be waiting for me at Wembley.

I'd also recommend getting the train from Marleybone station to Wembley Stadium station. If you get yourself a 4-zone tube day pass, that will also cover you for this train route and it's non-stop from Marleybone to Wembley. This way you avoid the stuffy crowded tube and there are plenty of seats available. They also had plenty of trains on this line to get people home after the game though it did take a little while for the queue to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey, was there last year... We stayed in Islington (i can't remember the name of the hotel, wasn't too bad price wise...)

The transport system in London being as it is, you can pretty much stay anywhere you want in London and still be able to get to Wembley easily enough via the tube. Buy yourself a 4-zone day card and you're sorted.

As for game day, don't head to wembley too early, there's nothing there, they won't let you in early either... The queues for ticket collection was tiny too, which was nice...

It was a great buzz last year, enjoy it!

There isn't much around Wembley but they did have an official tailgate party for people who got a special invite and there was an unofficial tailgate party at a pub nearby that was quite good. There'll probably be more news about pre-game festivities closer to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

As mentioned above the transport system in London is great so you can get there easily from anywhere; We stayed in Chelsea, the only downside was on the Sunday night it was not a Bank Holiday monday over there and every place closed up rediculously early;

Cant make it myself this year, may go over last minute, As with last year there was loads of tickets available on the day so will decide on finances closer to the time.

Took me all of 3 minutes to get tickets queues were pretty much non-existant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As it turns out, my friend who was buying the tickets wasn't able to buy them. If anyone knows where I can pickup 4 tickets, let me know...

There should be a few more rounds of ticket sales so there will be more chances to buy tickets. I think Club Wembley tickets are open to everyone if you don't mind paying a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I booked the IBIS at Wembley for handiness. I'm expectin Wembley town to be a kip but don't expect to be out in it for long. Apparently there is a great couple of pubs pre-match on sunday for tailgating and the like. Sat nite I plan to head into the city.

After the game sunday it'll be great to 'fall across the road' to our hotel bar and watch the '9pm game'. Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

We drank in that hotel before the match, was grand but lacking a bit of atmosphere. Great to have though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not familier with wembly area OP so cant help .

Perhaps they will ruin the wembly grass again and we will see England get beat again by Croatia in WC qualifiers ;)

Advertisement