Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Nope, the yellow line and central studs are in place right up to the C-M scheme, albeit only on the southbound carriageway. The northbound carriageway is a few weeks behind.

I heard 22 May mentioned again today as the opening date for the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme. Assuming all the contractors start back on Monday and that the weather is fair, this should be achievable.

I also encountered four squad cars within 20 minutes today on the N8 between Moorepark and Carrigane. All had just pulled someone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Well they certainly did a lot of lining and studding in spite of whatever breaks were taken.

I'm hoping progress on the northbound carriageway is just as good.

It ought to be, but there are some drainage works to do there yet, as well as some bank tidying. The whole lot needs to be washed and prepped as well. But asphalt-wise, they can lay 6km of one lane width per day. So, in theory - and with good weather - they could have all the northbound carriageway done within 8 working days, and have it all lined and studded within 11. I took some pictures today, but my FLICKR account is all maxed out for this month.

BTW, you have an email BluntGuy.

Furet wrote: »
    It ought to be, but there are some drainage works to do there yet, as well as some bank tidying. The whole lot needs to be washed and prepped as well. But asphalt-wise, they can lay 6km of one lane width per day. So, in theory - and with good weather - they could have all the northbound carriageway done within 8 working days, and have it all lined and studded within 11. I took some pictures today, but my FLICKR account is all maxed out for this month.

BTW, you have an email BluntGuy.

Send me on the pictures so I can upload them to my Flickr and post them here on your behalf.

I saw your e-mail earlier, and I did type out a response. Unfortunately my internet disconnected as soon as I sent it and I didn't even get a draft saved.

I'm typing it out again anyway.

Trying to send you the photos but gmail is being awkward.

For the benefit of everyone else, the NRA told me that M-F will not open with emergency telephones. However, I will bet ten euro that it will open with them. I suspect the NRA emailer didn't quite know the scheme they were talking about.

Also, landscaping works were apparently carried out between Skeheenarinky and junction 11 over the past winter on the C-M scheme, at Tincurry (i.e. junction 11), the Black Road and the Ballygiblin Road. I'm not sure where these last two are exactly, but they were realigned as overbridges. This might mean that only areas adjacent to overbridges were planted, which in turn would mean that the huge majority of the embankment remains barren and weedy.

In addition, the NRA expects to publish the EIS for the Kilworth Service Area "this summer". What does this mean?
    May?
    June?
    July?
    August?
    Who knows! But I think we're all agreed, the sooner the better.

Regarding the Dunkettle Interchange:
    The Authority is currently looking at the operation of the Dunkettle Interchange to identify what changes (up to and including full free flow arrangements) could be carried out to improve traffic flows through the junction. In this regard, detailed traffic analyses and feasibility studies have been carried out over the past 2 years and it is anticipated that, subject to the availability of funding, further planning and design work will be carried out this year.

This sounds positive, but it's a bit vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

It all sounds vaguely positive =0)

Well - with the exception of J8 at Cashel. When I passed by it I saw exactly what you were saying Furet, those 2 junctions are far too close together to have that southbound on ramp at J8. I'll be very wary passing through here when it opens up, and I cant see myself being comfortable using the facilities there if I have to re-join the motorway on that ramp.

As for Dunkettle, it'll be interesting to see what they make of it. It certainly wont be a 3-stack considering the rail line and the gradients involved. I've looked at some of the ideas that were posted here, and discussed it with my brother (who used to work for a road engineering firm)
    I reckon there is a reasonably cheap free flow option that does involve mixing local and global traffic (even more than at present), but mixing never leads to any kind of ideal or optimal solution...
    It is good to hear they are still looking at it =0)

I reckon "this summer" means "before the rain gets really cold again"

Here are the three pictures Furet took earlier...

Looking south from Junction 12:

3451467616_bfd59412f2.jpg

Looking north from R665 overbridge:

3451463938_a971f2da3a.jpg

South of Mitchelstown, lookin' south:

3450643471_7b2668fcda.jpg

If you want the large size then go over to my photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35615324@N07/

Those yellow flowers are quite abundant on the scheme, particularly at Moorepark and close to the R665. They're a nice touch. Also, I can confirm that the M-F scheme has been very heavily planted in places with willow, ash, hawthorn, blackthorn and oak in many places. It should be quite nice when it matures.

A little bit of landscaping can make a world of difference. I bet that little bit of planting didn't exactly break the bank.

Overall, it seems that little bit of extra thought went into the F-M scheme over the C-M one, that will make it the superior road to drive.

And y'know what, I would also not be surprised if I saw orange telephone poles popping up over the next month. I bet if you'd asked them if telephone polls were to be installed on C-C in November you would've gotten the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I notice the cats eyes are on the inside of the yellow hard shoulder line in those pictures.

I always wondered why sometimes they are on the inside, other times they are on the outside of the line and are sometimes even on the line/paint itself. (Also applicable for the white line at the median). I would have thought that the NRA would have picked their preference and instructed the various contractors to do it that way.

No a big issue at all but I do find it a tiny bit odd that it varies from scheme to scheme.

I personally prefer if they're outside the lines or on the line itself. Prefer when they're not inside the line basically.

• Advertisement

Here's how the M8 is looking on the latest Collins Road Atlas:

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1396.jpg

DSCF1394.jpg

Thanks Furet, and what an excellent job Collins have done.

Surprised they include the entire M9 when in fact the bottom half of it hasn't actually been redesignated.

They have a broad plan of the network on the inside cover:

DSCF1378.jpg

Again, an excellent job. It's a pity the stretches (hopefully) about to redesignated aren't on it, but it gives us a good insight into what our motorway network will look like come the end of 2010.

They're releasing another edition next spring, so it won't be long before it's...bluer. :D

*looks around for mysterious*

KevR wrote: »
    I notice the cats eyes are on the inside of the yellow hard shoulder line in those pictures.

I always wondered why sometimes they are on the inside, other times they are on the outside of the line and are sometimes even on the line/paint itself. (Also applicable for the white line at the median). I would have thought that the NRA would have picked their preference and instructed the various contractors to do it that way.

No a big issue at all but I do find it a tiny bit odd that it varies from scheme to scheme.

I personally prefer if they're outside the lines or on the line itself. Prefer when they're not inside the line basically.

I've often wondered that myself. My own preference is to have the studs sitting on the yellow line.

They're releasing another edition next spring, so it won't be long before it's...bluer. :D

*looks around for mysterious*

As long as he has his patch of green in the middle of the M6, he'll be happy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

BluntGuy wrote: »
    As long as he has his patch of green in the middle of the M6, he'll be happy! :D

mmm Mysterious = The Green Eyed Monster:D

Thanks for the map detail Furet, it's great!
    My interest is more in cartography than the actual roads so it's nice to see progression being made in this area - even pre-emptive measures =0)

Larry, are you familiar with this site? If not, zoom right in and you get aerial photography.

The OSI have a contract at the moment for a complete flyover of the country, but because of cloudiness very little of this (less than 5% I think) was completed in 2008. Hopefully we'll enjoy clearer conditions this summer. It will be good, as updated aerial photography will show all the schemes currently being built or newly open.

• Advertisement

I actually didn't know about that site, thank a million!
    It'll be interesting to see what the summes fly-overs will bring.
    The difference between the 2000 and 2005 is actually quite interesting too, hopefully thay'll keep the older ones in the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I wonder why Collins doesn't mark M6 to Galway in blue. It is build as a motorway, isn't it?

It is still technically an N road. It has been included in tranche 2 of the motorway redesignation proposals though, so it will open blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It is still technically an N road. It has been included in tranche 2 of the motorway redesignation proposals though, so it will open blue.

So technically they are building toll N road? I though you can only toll motorways in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Geogregor wrote: »
    So technically they are building toll N road? I though you can only toll motorways in Ireland.

Correct. Ballinasloe - Galway has to open as a motorway because of the toll and as Furet said, it will.
    It is already signposted in blue at the completed eastern Ballinasloe interchange where the Athlone scheme terminates.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Where did this idea of 'the only toll roads allowed are motorways' come from? I'd be grateful is someone could point me in the direction of the relevant legislation, because I wasn't aware of any such restriction.

The East Link bridge, after all, isn't a motorway!

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

csd wrote: »
    Where did this idea of 'the only toll roads allowed are motorways' come from? I'd be grateful is someone could point me in the direction of the relevant legislation, because I wasn't aware of any such restriction.

The East Link bridge, after all, isn't a motorway!

/csd

Iirc it's not legislation so technically any road can be tolled. What we're dealing with here are stipulations in the PPP contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

But in any case, its being built as an N road until Reclassification #2 says otherwise ;)

The Waterford Bypass, which will be tolled and which will be built to motorway standard, will open as the N25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Right, so the "must be a motorway" idea is as misconception, probably brought about by all previous major toll roads being motorways?

/csd

Advertisement