Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Unless of course the NRA spokesperson was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Does anyone think the signs on the M8 are hard to see at night with headlights on them? Its like they are warped or something.

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I haven't actually experienced any problems with the signage at night. I find them to be extremely bright and clear. In general I think the NRA have done a very good job on new motorway signage. But the older signage, particularly on the Watergrasshill and Glanmire Bypasses, is fairly poor. This will be replaced soon (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

This might be explained before, so sorry what does the green sign E201 on top of the blue signs stand for

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »
    Does anyone think the signs on the M8 are hard to see at night with headlights on them? Its like they are warped or something.

X.

I disagree, I think the majority of signs on the M8 and indeed most other motorways in Ireland are absolutely fine at night.

BUT I do think that either the cantilever or exit gore sign, the countdown signs and perhaps one of the ADS signs should be independently illuminated. It can be a little difficult to make out exits at night. At least with these in place, there would be no danger of drivers missing their exit due to poor lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

BluntGuy wrote: »
    BUT I do think that either the cantilever or exit gore sign, the countdown signs and perhaps one of the ADS signs should be independently illuminated. It can be a little difficult to make out exits at night. At least with these in place, there would be no danger of drivers missing their exit due to poor lighting.

I fully agree.

I disagree, I think the majority of signs on the M8 and indeed most other motorways in Ireland are absolutely fine at night.

Have a closer look the next time, they look cheap and made from a thin piece of metal that looks like someone has gone at it with a baseball bat. When you are at a cetain distance from them the reflection back makes them unreadable. This is in comparison to other signs on our network.

X.

xabi wrote: »
    Have a closer look the next time, they look cheap and made from a thin piece of metal that looks like someone has gone at it with a baseball bat. When you are at a cetain distance from them the reflection back makes them unreadable. This is in comparison to other signs on our network.

X.

Which signs specifically are you talking about Xabi (ADS, cantilevers, and at what junction)? I'll take a closer look next time.

Furet wrote: »
    Which signs specifically are you talking about Xabi (ADS, cantilevers, and at what junction)? I'll take a closer look next time.

Furet, its on the Cullahil - Cashel section heading south that I noticed it on the ADS signs, definitely the first 6 or 7 signs, didnt check after that.

X.

• Advertisement

It's been a few months since I drove that section at night, but come to think of it, are some of the signs a little turquoise at night? I think I remember thinking that they seemed a little off colour, but that might be a false memory. It didn't affect my ability to make out the placenames however.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes I've noticed that the signs on Cullahill-Cashel are definitely a few shades lighter than other motorway signs.

This on the Glanmire Bypass today, plodding along at a leisurely pace.
    3491763971_10a00e2754.jpg

:mad:

Thursday April 30 2009
    Bypass a Grassy Eyesore

THE operators of the M8 Fermoy bypass have been slammed over the maintenance of the verges of the road, which have been described as "an eyesore".
    Green Party hopeful Adam Douglas, has accused Direct Route Ltd of penny-pinching in relation to cutting the grass alongside the 18km stretch of dual carriageway.
    "Direct Route are raking in millions from hard pressed motorists and yet have not resolved this eyesore," he said
    "The condition of the motorway can affect people's perceptions of the whole area and put off tourists from visiting the town," he said.
    A spokesman for Direct Route was unavailable for comment on the issue.
    http://www.corkman.ie/news/bypass-a-grassy-eyesore-1724344.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This on the Glanmire Bypass today, plodding along at a leisurely pace.
    3491763971_10a00e2754.jpg

:mad:

I wish I'd got a picture of the cyclists on the Douglas Viaduct or the horse and cart near Mahon last time I was down :D

Just said I'd post this photo lest there be any doubt that the M7/M8 toll will be extended south as far as junction 4 (Urlingford):

3494508239_fb11f7b956.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I've noticed this myself. Slightly annoyed about it. I have a tendency to avoid tolls.

Well, there's no way I'll be avoiding either of the M8 tolls. The R639 through Fermoy, Rathcormac and Watergrasshill is torturous. Regarding the northernmost toll, I believe CRG will be assuming maintenance duties on the M8 north of Urlingford. This means, basically, that they will have to resurface it periodically etc, which is something positive at least. But yeah, in general I'm peeved that we'll have to pay a toll from 2010 to use a road that was built with the public purse.

Incidentally, I completed walking the length of the M-F scheme the other day. I have to say, I now think that the route will result in an even greater time-saving than I first thought. I had thought that only the northern section would cut travel time significantly, but I was wrong. Quite simply, there won't really be a "Mitchelstown to Fermoy" after this opens; you'll travel from J13 to J14 in no time at all. The surface looks immaculate too.
    3497900231_6097989250.jpg

3498724382_fff42d1d69.jpg

3497915367_0c6774510c.jpg

3497930951_3de7d06e66.jpg

Also - cyclists on the motorway!
    3497895917_f9d26fbb3b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hold on a sec, are ye saying there are going to be 2 tolls on the M8 if you were to go from Cork to Dublin.

Thats a bloody disgrace, it could cost nearly €4 to go to Dublin.

Excuse my ignorance if im wrong, havnt posted on this thread before an there is too much reading to do to go back over all the posts

Well, yeah - one at Fermoy, the other southwest of Portlaoise, which is really an M7 toll, but which Cork traffic will use too. There'll be two tolls to pay if you go from Galway to Dublin as well. While there will be only one M7 toll, in fairness the Shannon tunnel will be tolled while the Jack Lynch Tunnel is free to use.

I don't think it's a disgrace in principle; in fact I'm generally not against tolls at all. The reality is that even with the two toll plazas you can still drive from Dunkettle to Watergrasshill, and from north of Fermoy all the way to Urlingford, for free on a top class motorway. Two tolls is not in any way extortionate in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hold on a sec, are ye saying there are going to be 2 tolls on the M8 if you were to go from Cork to Dublin.

Thats a bloody disgrace, it could cost nearly €4 to go to Dublin.

Actually, that's perfectly reasonable.

Many European countries have many toll roads that are actually much more expensive than our own.

I have no problem paying a toll.

What I do have a problem with is sneaky strategies to get people to pay toll money. In both instances on the M8 motorway, motorists will pay tolls to drive on road that was previously free. That's the disgrace.

Also, (and this isn't south-east bashing or anything), I do think M9 users should've been made to pay at least one toll in the interest of fairness.

But guys these projects came out of our pockets didnt they, why should we be paying for them again?

But guys these projects came out of our pockets didnt they, why should we be paying for them again?

Well the way PPP schemes (like the Fermoy Bypass) work (in basic terms):

PPP contractor gets contract to design, build, maintain, operate and finance a scheme.

We pay a fixed sum of money to the contractor every year for 20/30 years (or whatever the contract length) until the cost of the project and the interest is payed off.

The tolls are run by the contractor BUT all the money goes to the government. The government then uses the money to subsidise the annual payments back to the contractor.

While I do think there are elements of PPP that are dodgy, the basic idea isn't one that is ripping us off.

Is the M7 after Portlaoise PPP?

But guys these projects came out of our pockets didnt they

For the most part, no.

This is being built by a private company, while this was built by Direct Route, another private company. The controversy surrounds the fact that when these PPP roads open, they incorporate shortish (but important) sections of roads that were built with taxpayer's money.

Is the M7 after Portlaoise PPP?

The Portlaoise Bypass is not a PPP, and will remain free to use.

So Furet, have they started changing any of the signage at Junction 14. This is the perfect chance to get rid of the "M8 (Toll)" crap and replace it with the much nicer "Toll" box they use on newer schemes.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

So Furet, have they started changing any of the signage at Junction 14. This is the perfect chance to get rid of the "M8 (Toll)" crap and replace it with the much nicer "Toll" box they use on newer schemes.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Not yet, but they have put up new poles at junction 14 itself (i.e. the roundabouts). They will probably do a major overhaul of the signage at these roundabouts, using the new 'toll' box design in the process. When redesignation goes through I'm sure they'll do that on the ADS approaching junction 17 too. But the current toll signage between junctions 14 and 17 ain't going anywhere.

Not yet, but they have put up new poles at junction 14 itself (i.e. the roundabouts). They will probably do a major overhaul of the signage at these roundabouts, using the new 'toll' box design in the process. When redesignation goes through I'm sure they'll do that on the ADS approaching junction 17 too. But the current toll signage between junctions 14 and 17 ain't going anywhere.

Well, I can live with that.

As long as the worst of the rubbish is gone (i.e the stupid way in which the J17 ADS lists "TOLL" as though it's a destination).

I'm also crossing my fingers that when the new N73 signage is erected, the old N8 will have its signage changed simultaneously.

As for the redesignations... I really was expecting them to have gone through at this stage. It's utterly ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Well, I can live with that.

As long as the worst of the rubbish is gone (i.e the stupid way in which the J17 ADS lists "TOLL" as though it's a destination).

That is particularly annoying.
    I'm also crossing my fingers that when the new N73 signage is erected, the old N8 will have its signage changed simultaneously.

Me too - along with the bit betwixt Cahir and Kilbeheny, and with the R639 signage at New Inn getting blue M8 patches put up too. There is STILL orange N8 signage close to junction 10 on the old Cahir Bypass.
    As for the redesignations... I really was expecting them to have gone through at this stage. It's utterly ridiculous.

I'd love to know the reason for the delay...it's taken a ridiculously long time. But I'd say the DoT is sick of me by now (though I've only called them 4 times since July last year).

Advertisement