Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

d'Oh
    link removed..... twas from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

^^ No worries. The new newsletter is overdue though. I'm keen to see what it'll say when it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Drove the M8 from Mitchelstown to its current end at Cullahill today for the first time and was both impressed and disappointed, I was impressed at the speed it allowed me to get so far up the country and how it was not so busy so was an easy drive.

Things that did not impress me were how it was twisty enough and there seemed to be pulls and dips. They should have cut it straighter and levelled it more. Also around the Cahir Junction there is two traveller halting sites on two sides of the road and the appeared to be accessing it from the Motorway:eek: How is the tolerated?? I also saw no breakdown telephones and there was quite a bit of debris (mostly blowouts) scattered spontaneously but out of the laneways, do we have any Highway maintenance that gives a run up and down the motorways to clean up such nasties?

The M8 serves Cork quite well but as a Kerry person who had to access it through the disaster that is Baradubh-Rathmore-Mallow-Mitchelstown-M8 with some improvements the road could easily be given alot of traffic from South Kerry and West Cork if a new road was constructed from Mitchelstown to Killarney giving Kerry proper road access to the Capital then.

Alternatively If the Ballvourney-Macroom project was done to Motorway spec it would allow for all the south west to access the motorway via Cork's south ring but I doubt it could handle the pressure, with the new north ring yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

netwhizkid: when the M7 is complete and Castleisland bypass on N21 - even with the N21 having some projects pending, it will be good access to Dublin for North Kerry at least via Limerick. Assuming they aren't going through Adare at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Zoney wrote: »
    netwhizkid: when the M7 is complete and Castleisland bypass on N21 - even with the N21 having some projects pending, it will be good access to Dublin for North Kerry at least via Limerick. Assuming they aren't going through Adare at peak times.

Yeah, but people in SW Kerry and SE Kerry and the entire of West and South Cork are left practically isolated Motorway wise, there should be a spur to either Killarney, Kenmare or Bantry to serve these areas, I am a firm believer in Motorways and Car transportation and believe no one should be around more than 50 miles from a Motorway or a max or one hours driving.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in Motorways and Car transportation and believe no one should be around more than 50 miles from a Motorway or a max or one hours driving.

Then, with respect, you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

...I am a firm believer in Motorways and Car transportation and believe no one should be around more than 50 miles from a Motorway or a max or one hours driving.

I believe the long term aim for the German autobahn network was to expand it until everybody was within 50km (I think) of an autobahn. Seventy years on that aim has yet to be fully achieved and that's in a country with a higher population density and a longer period of economic growth.

Surely most parts of Kerry will have adequate access to Dublin and be better served regionally via the N21 and N22 to Limerick and Cork? An upgrade of the N72 is one hell of a long way off.

If the network was expanded so everybody was within 50 miles of a motorway or DC then (just off the top of my head) I can imagine that you'd see an N5 DC from Longford or Boyle to Castlebar and an N2 DC from Ardee to the border before any major route length construction happened from Killarney to Mitchelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

no one should be around more than 50 miles from a Motorway.
    completely agree, if you had of said
    no motorway should be around more than 50 miles from anyone
    I'd have said you clearly know nothing about sustainability.

Drove the M8 from Mitchelstown to its current end at Cullahill today for the first time and was both impressed and disappointed, I was impressed at the speed it allowed me to get so far up the country and how it was not so busy so was an easy drive.

Things that did not impress me were how it was twisty enough and there seemed to be pulls and dips. They should have cut it straighter and levelled it more.

Modern motorway designs are not dead straight anymore to involve the driver in the drive more to prevent driver fatigue. This can be seen best on the 2 sections of the M4. The old free section has very few bends while the new section is more curvy.

It also is cheaper to roll with the terrain.

Does anyone know how junction 7 is shaping up? Are the new slips open yet?

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »

Is that at Cashel?
    I'll be down on Friday if no answer before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I think that's Junction 8 - according to openstreetmap yesterday (a great resource I must say - very up to date! :) - unlike google maps or live maps (now called 'bing')!)

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think that's Junction 8 - according to openstreetmap yesterday (a great resource I must say - very up to date! :) - unlike google maps or live maps (now called 'bing')!)

Regards!

Thanks - that junction was partly my work. GPS owners - please get mapping or at the very least contributing track logs. Help us get full coverage down to the last boreen and track!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mackerski wrote: »
    Thanks - that junction was partly my work. GPS owners - please get mapping or at the very least contributing track logs. Help us get full coverage down to the last boreen and track!

My old man is on holidays at the moment and has his SatNav with him but when he gets back I'll borrow his and try to do a bit of mapping (if there's anything near me not already mapped).

Out of curiosity, if someone traces a new route and updates OSM, could someone else download this trace and update their SatNav with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I drove past those new sliproads last week heading out the fethard road, they're certainly geting there, but lots more to do. I've been doing alof of mapping recently on OSM, around some areas of Limreick, Cork, Wicklow, Kildare... My obsession with cartography is growing deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

KevR wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if someone traces a new route and updates OSM, could someone else download this trace and update their SatNav with it?

Depends on the type of unit. For Garmin, yes you can. It's not quite plug and play, but I can help anybody who's interested. I already need to create an update for another boardsie who asked me ages ago :o

The M8 wikipedia page has been expanded to reflect redesignation. I've also uploaded a new photo to the Jack Lynch tunnel page to show the new signage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_motorway_(Ireland)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lynch_Tunnel#Tunnel_operation

I seek your opinions: the M8 wikipedia article currently states that the construction dates of the M8 range from 2003 (Cashel Bypass start of construction) to 2010. However, should this be changed to 1985 to reflect the turning of the sod for the Glanmire Bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I seek your opinions: the M8 wikipedia article currently states that the construction dates of the M8 range from 2003 (Cashel Bypass start of construction) to 2010. However, should this be changed to 1985 to reflect the turning of the sod for the Glanmire Bypass?
    IMO, yes.

Agreed. I think we should also build a stand alone M18 article. I'll have a go at starting it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No updates, but anyone got any pics of the Fermoy Blackwater viaduct?? I drove under it today and thought that it was more impressive from underneath than when you drive over it. And I've seen no pics from underneath (Fermoy - Lismore road).

viaduct.jpg

Taken from the SanminaSCI carpark on the Rathhealy Road, Fermoy (i.e. the R666).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thanks :D Its probably the 'reasonably big structure' least mentioned in the motorway network.

It's not a very handsome structure. The concrete is all of a different consistency.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's not a very handsome structure. The concrete is all of a different consistency.
    It looks absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres 'reasonably big structures' on the N-network that are also not really mentioned and far more "landmark" - the N15 Cathleens Falls bridge with its double deck for instance. The ones that do get mentioned/remembered are generally the tolled ones - Westlink, Boyne viaduct, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

MYOB wrote: »
    the N15 Cathleens Falls bridge with its double deck

Any pics of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/2715B075-151F-41D8-B121-8291F3AF1959/0/bshannonbridge.jpg off the Donegal CC website is all I can find. The pedestrian bridge runs through the structure, underneath the road deck. The road running over the bridge is basically dual carriageway, centre barrier with two lanes on one side and one massive lane with a H/S on the other - its realistically going to end up being reformatted to 2+2 for the Atlantic Corridor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

viaduct.jpg

Taken from the SanminaSCI carpark on the Rathhealy Road, Fermoy (i.e. the R666).

Wow fantastic shot just only after looking at it. There is also a big viaduct on the M7 N-L aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Hogzy wrote: »
    Any pics of this?

Some on boards:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055001537

Advertisement