Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Surprisingly, it's 120 southbound and 100 northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some blueshirt needs to be prosecuted for taking down those signs. Or not taking them down under a different law.
    same for de paper.

There's great views with the mountains on the M8. I wonder if the M6 will rival it for scenery, it'll go through some wild places on the next stretch and the dry stone walls on the latest bit from Athlone to B'Sloe are very definitely Connacht.

There's great views with the mountains on the M8. I wonder if the M6 will rival it for scenery, it'll go through some wild places on the next stretch and the dry stone walls on the latest bit from Athlone to B'Sloe are very definitely Connacht.

I'd love to see some pics of M6 A-B in operation actually! Lads? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Furet wrote: »
    Surprisingly, it's 120 southbound and 100 northbound.

And i repeat...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61968795&postcount=409

The M8 Glanmire bypass is 100km/hr North and South.

I didn't cop that post green jesus, thanks for that. Yes indeed, the 100 km/h sign was removed about two weeks ago...surprised to hear they put it back up. The southbound drive was definitely 120 km/h for a few days at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd love to see some pics of M6 A-B in operation actually! Lads? :o

I keep meaning to but just started Final Year of University so these last few weeks have been really hectic. Hopefully I'll get a chance at some stage soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

Some blueshirt needs to be prosecuted for taking down those signs. Or not taking them down under a different law.
    same for de paper.

Are ya for real? The M4 and M6 are the most hideous roads in the country...
    The M1, M3, M7, M9 and M11 may rival it for pleasant scenery , but the only thing the M4/M6 can rival anything for is being the ugliest, most depressing inter-urban route in the country. Had to travel on it for work over the summer, and it's grim grim grim to say the very least. Sorry, rant over!!!!:mad:

I'm travelling to Cork next week, so looking forward to taking this route. I've only read the last few pages, so haven't had a chance to read through it all. Was wondering if the road is pretty much motorway all the way from Cashel to Cork at this stage?

Are ya for real? The M4 and M6 are the most hideous roads in the country...
    The M1, M3, M7, M9 and M11 may rival it for pleasant scenery , but the only thing the M4/M6 can rival anything for is being the ugliest, most depressing inter-urban route in the country. Had to travel on it for work over the summer, and it's grim grim grim to say the very least. Sorry, rant over!!!!:mad:

Rants of that nature are very welcome here! We even have a thread for it. ;)
    I'm travelling to Cork next week, so looking forward to taking this route. I've only read the last few pages, so haven't had a chance to read through it all. Was wondering if the road is pretty much motorway all the way from Cashel to Cork at this stage?

Motorway from Cullahill all the way to Cork - over 125km.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

^^^

Thanks for the info. It's amazing to think that by this time next year all the major urban centres will, probably, be connected to Dublin by motorway in around 2hours driving time.
    It'll make all those 5hour epic road-trips of my childhood seem like a distant memory.

It'll make all those 5hour epic road-trips of my childhood seem like a distant memory.

God, I remember those too. Dublin seemed half the world away from Cashel when I was small. But spare a thought for Irish people 100 years ago: Then, the journey by road from Cork to Dublin took all of nine hours, by sleeper bus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway will be awfully boring, its just flat peat land, through the absolute middle of nowhere. It will be a terribly boring drive, if its anything like the train route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yeah the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway will be awfully boring, its just flat peat land, through the absolute middle of nowhere. It will be a terribly boring drive, if its anything like the train route.

Going to Galway on the N6 has always been a horrid depressing drive. At least it'll be that bit shorter with the Motorway. Anyways lads its only like 45 minute drive from Ballinasloe. Who the fekc cares about depressing drives. If you want excitement, try the N55/N61 at a decent speed. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

. Anyways lads its only like 45 minute drive from Ballinasloe.

It will be 30mins to Galway without breaking the speed limit. And the M6 will forever be a dreadfully boring motorway through the flaahh midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Motorway from Cullahill all the way to Cork - over 125km.

Drove the finished road from Cork to Cullahill for the first time yesterday to/from the National Ploughing Championship, simply fantastic compared to the old N8.

First time I drive it at Xmas 1995, it took 5 hours to reach Kildare.

Did pass two police speed checks (one unmarked with a Golf pulled over at Cahir, the second sat in a layby just the Dublin side of Cashel with a speed-gun out of the window), but at 120kph all the way, there is no need to speed now.

Can't wait for the last section to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

can't wait? sure You'll be using it next time in 2019 or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Drove the finished road from Cork to Cullahill for the first time yesterday to/from the National Ploughing Championship, simply fantastic compared to the old N8.

First time I drive it at Xmas 1995, it took 5 hours to reach Kildare.

Did pass two police speed checks (one unmarked with a Golf pulled over at Cahir, the second sat in a layby just the Dublin side of Cashel with a speed-gun out of the window), but at 120kph all the way, there is no need to speed now.

Can't wait for the last section to be completed.

120Kph is a joke on our motorways and the speed limit should be at least 150kph if not 160kph. Drove myself last week up to the All-Ireland and was pushing 90 - 100mph for a good share of the journey, doing anything less than 85mph on a motorway is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

netwhizkid wrote: »
    120Kph is a joke on our motorways and the speed limit should be at least 150kph if not 160kph. Drove myself last week up to the All-Ireland and was pushing 90 - 100mph for a good share of the journey, doing anything less than 85mph on a motorway is pointless.

Seen this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

Hey Guys
    so i'm back in ireland next week for a while and i'm renting a car at dublin airport and driving down to Cork.. just wanted to know how long it should take.?? how much of the road is dual carriageway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

it should take you c. 3 hours, its all Motorway/Dual carriageway from the airport to cork apart from a c.30km gap between Portlaoise and Cullahill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hey Guys
    so i'm back in ireland next week for a while and i'm renting a car at dublin airport and driving down to Cork.. just wanted to know how long it should take.?? how much of the road is dual carriageway?

Only a short section from the RedCow to Naas, the rest is Motorway, bar the Abbeyleix Gap of S2.

3Hours is about right, unless you get held up at the RedCOw to Newlands Cross section and going through Abbeyleix.
    It's about 265km plus the bit extra to the airport.
    Went from Killarney to Redcow in 3h20 last Sunday but trafic was light and might have exceeded the limit by 20kmh or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Went from Killarney to Redcow in 3h20 last Sunday but trafic was light and might have exceeded the limit by 20kmh or so.

It took me 5 and a half hours the evening of the All-Ireland final, but your timing is pretty much spot on on a normal day, the abbeyleix stretch is one pain in the cojones though, roll on the completion!

Any idea how the Cashel Bypass junction 8 upgrade is coming along? It must be almost complete by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Any idea how the Cashel Bypass junction 8 upgrade is coming along? It must be almost complete by now...

If only "upgrade" were the word.

It's getting there anyway, I only quickly zoomed past on Friday, and it was fairly dark. I'll take a better look next time I'm around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

I am going past every weekend heading up to Dublin and this project is definitely not modelled on the efficient road building projects that I have seen around the country.

Nothing much seems to have changed in the past couple of months. It's very slow progress indeed for what is essentially just a small widening of the road.

Will be heading up and down every week until Xmas, so will keep an eye on it for the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

What are they doing on the Cashel bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Building two new slip roads at Junction 8 on the Cashel Bypass to facilitate the construction of an unofficial MSA (basically a Maccy D's and a petrol station). Works due to finish on the slip roads by November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Building two new slip roads at Junction 8 on the Cashel Bypass to facilitate the construction of an unofficial MSA (basically a Maccy D's and a petrol station). Works due to finish on the slip roads by November.

Better than no MSA is suppose.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I have surveyed and mapped the northern end of the M7 from the M8 junction upwards. There were a few places I wasnt able to stop the car to get out and survey the alignment last time I went through, so this time it's a little more accurate. The M7/M8 junction was mostly just eyed in as I didnt have the oportunity to go onto the site and survey it properly. Nonetheless:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.9188&lon=-7.4192&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

How did it look, Larry? RE: surfacing, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

larryone wrote: »
    I have surveyed and mapped the northern end of the M7 from the M8 junction upwards. There were a few places I wasnt able to stop the car to get out and survey the alignment last time I went through, so this time it's a little more accurate. The M7/M8 junction was mostly just eyed in as I didnt have the oportunity to go onto the site and survey it properly. Nonetheless:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.9188&lon=-7.4192&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

I was wondering who did that :D

Advertisement