Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects

Options
  • 23-06-2008 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I just finished my junior cert and am going into TY next year.
    Before that i would like to know what are good subjects.
    I love Biology and i heard if u do that, Ag. Science is an easy add-on.
    I'm going to do an eight subject.
    I am torn between these-Physics,
    -Applied maths,
    -Business,
    I will be doing honours maths, i love maths.
    i know Biology is quite large but i enjoy that, but for the others i want really cut and dry knom what q's are what in the paper.
    Can anyone giveme some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you enjoy the subject, it's so much easier to study, so whatever you do, pick something you like...
    Physics and Applied Maths done together reduces the workload as there's overlap between them, not sure what it would be like to do one on its own. Applied Maths is nice because there's almost no theory to learn, it's just problem-solving etc (I mean of course you need to learn the theories behind what you're doing, but you don't get asked on it), whereas the maths etc. in Physics is much simpler, but you've to learn definitions and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I echo what Purple said in relation to doing the subjects you find the easiest. It might be an idea to have in mind what college course you want to do, or failing that what field you want to go down, and pick subjects that will help you get there.

I done both physics and biology. I would highly recommended this combo as you also get a OK understanding of chemistry if you are thinking of going into science.

I must stress that higher level maths is rather hard. I, like you, loved maths in the JC and got a B in the JC. But just got a D2 in the LC HL. Having said that you might have a better head for maths than me!

Ag. Sci might be an "easy add-on" but only do it if you are interested in Ag. Sci.

Like what Purple said, physics and applied maths is meant to be a good combo but I can't tell you for sure as I didn't do applied maths.

One major thing is be sure to pick a language, all NUI's need a 3rd language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

If you like honours maths then its definitely do-able. I got an A in the junior cert and I just did my lc a few weeks ago and hopefully I'll get between a C2-B2. It was my fav subject for the lc anyway and I didnt get any grinds so its not that hard!! oh and do physics. Its easier if you do honours maths and VERY EASY to do well in if you have a decent teacher and put the work in!!!
    anyway enough rambling and good luck with your choices!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If I had those three choices I would say Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Applied Maths > All.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

Davidius wrote: »
    Applied Maths > All.

+1

I'd advise you go for Applied Maths and Physics of you say you like Maths.There both great subjects,and Applied Maths is often an easy high grade.There very interesting,and there is some overlap [forumlas and whatnot.Also if you do Applied Maths the maths in Physics will be so easy for you].Theres an overlap between higher level maths and Applied Maths in some of the questions too.

I did business in 5th year ad hated it!! I ended up droping it at the start of 6th year.Its full of what I like to call Bulls*** :P.Stupid repeditive learning off.But If business is your thing then it'd be compleately different.Accounting is the Mathsy business subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I don't think you can combine bio and ag for many courses, so best you don't. Also, don't do business (because I don't like it). As everyone up there has said, apt and physics is a really good combo. Apt also increases your general maths ability, because you are doing twice the amount of maths you would otherwise.

Maybe you should do chemistry too, it's a right laugh, and if you like biology (and it is a load of fun) , you should do chemistry too because it really is necessary for a full understanding of many parts of the biology course, and definitly if you are gonna continue to do biology in college you'll need chemistry (apart from zoology or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Geography is a handy enough subject as well....If your did any good in your JC then you've got 50%+ of the course done already...:)

raah! wrote: »
    Maybe you should do chemistry too, it's a right laugh, and if you like biology (and it is a load of fun) , you should do chemistry too because it really is necessary for a full understanding of many parts of the biology course, and definitly if you are gonna continue to do biology in college you'll need chemistry (apart from zoology or something).

I did a combo of biology and physics. Going into genetics, but I needed to do chemistry in first year. It would be a help but they teach it from a point of view that you have no idea what chemistry is.

I don't think it is necessary for a full understanding, if you have a good teacher or even have half a brain, it should come to you fast enough.

All in all, if you want to do biology in college, you don't have to do biology, or chemistry...you just need a lab subject. Hell if genetics doesn't work out I can alway do chemistry...it is my best subject after all!

blue-army wrote: »
    Geography is a handy enough subject as well....If your did any good in your JC then you've got 50%+ of the course done already...:)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Why can one do Biology and Ag Science but can't do Economics and Ag Economics??
    There seems to be an equal enough overlap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Ag science is said to be easy but a few of my friends did it (and they were also doing biology) and said the workload if you want to do well is quite heavy - the course is very broad. They did love the subject though, so that makes it easier to study...just don't do something simply because you think it'll be easy. Do it because you're interested in it - that'll make it easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Biology is a good subject if you like it. If you hate it, it's going to be terrible. It's a very broad course and I'm finding some bits boring eg ecology but other parts really interesting eg genetics. It's a pretty straightforward course though if you learn everything you need. I don't do ag science so I can't comment.

Physics and Applied Maths are a really good combo. I'm really interested in both subjects and I'm finding them very interesting. Applied Maths is definitely not easy though. Definitely do it if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I did physics and I didn't really like it. You hear a lot of talk about there being loads of maths in physics so you need to be good at maths, but that's not true really. There's just as much, if not more theory.

If you're good at maths then do Applied Maths, which, as said, is really just the maths part of physics. I didn't do applied maths, but a few of my friends do and I've seen some papers and there's a lot of similarity with the maths in physics....except of course Applied Maths is more advanced

Business is handy enough tbh. You always hear of people saying that they would have got an A if they had enough time....so for that you really have to master your time management just as much as learning the stuff. The learning isn't too hard, and if you're tuned into the world around you and know what's going on then it isn't difficult.

If I had those three choices I'd choose in this order:

Business
    Applied Maths
    Physics

HOWEVER, if you think you'd like physics....ask around about the physics teacher(s) in your school. If they're all really good then you'll probably enjoy the subject, but there's so many rubbish physics teachers out there that I'd really just say don't do it unless you're confident you'll get a good teacher.

Advertisement