Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Astronaut Selection period closed

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

As many ESA fans know, the Agency has been looking for candidates for new Europe's astronauts for missions on Moon, Mars, space bases and beyond.

As the ESA European Astronaut Selection website is saying, the application period has been finally closed at midnight on 18 June (5 days ago).

Anyone applied? ;)

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Astronaut_Selection/index.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So is the ESA going to start sending people to space now , this isn't via Nasa is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

MooseJam wrote: »
    So is the ESA going to start sending people to space now , this isn't via Nasa is it ?
    No, they're gonna start independent missions. But of course they will still continue co-operation with NASA on many fields.

If you compare ESA work to NASA budged ($17.3 bn), you will know that ESA (with $4.26 bn budged) is doing really good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

There's talk of developing ATV into a human-rated vehicle. We have access to launch sites and launch vehicles that could also be human-rated. ESA may be gearing up to join in the second wave of Moon exploration, though it'll be impressive if they even just get us orbital first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

I was thinking of applying, but the hassle of getting the medical certificate ended all that for me. I'm not sure it was a good recruitment campaign by ESA. The most qualified people are those who are working their arse off in their respective fields and have little time for such things as finding out how to get a pilot's medical cert. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

ga2re2t wrote: »
    I was thinking of applying, but the hassle of getting the medical certificate ended all that for me. I'm not sure it was a good recruitment campaign by ESA. The most qualified people are those who are working their arse off in their respective fields and have little time for such things as finding out how to get a pilot's medical cert. IMHO.

The really dedicated sorts will be able to do both. Not being arsed to get the medical cert is probably reason enough to disqualify us...

I have all the other qualifications but I'd probably fail the medical due to having mild asthma.

• Advertisement
Advertisement