Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany vs Turkey (Semi Final)

• 23-06-2008 2:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I know it's early but there's some seriously bad news for the Turks emerging today. Star striker and captain Nihat is out of the tournament and has returned home after picking up a thigh injury.

Between injury and suspension the squad is decimated. Terim only had 15 outfield players to choose from for the Croatia game and may now have to go to FIFA to get special permission to call up a replacement for Nihat.

From RTE -
    Nihat's absence is another blow to Turkey, whose squad is already depleted through suspension and injury.

Servet Cetin, Tumer Metin and Emre Belozoglu are all injured, while Emre Gungor has already been ruled out of the tournament.

Terim had only 15 available outfield players for the Croatia clash, three of whom will be banned for the match against Germany after picking up their second yellow cards of the tournament.

Goalkeeper Volkan Demirel will find out on Monday if an appeal against his suspension has been successful.

Indeed, such is the extent of Turkey's injury crisis that UEFA officials could be forced into an emergency meeting if Terim asks to call up a replacement player.

The former AC Milan boss refused to call up anyone when replacements were allowed, but should he need to now then a request would have to be made to UEFA.

So does anyone actually think they have a chance against the Germans?

Who's gonna win? 73 votes

Germany
    0% 0 votes
    Turkey
    87% 64 votes
    Germany (AET/penos)
    12% 9 votes
    Turkey (AET/penos)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

They didn't have a chance anyway, this won't change that. According to SSN today he only has 13 outfield players to choose from for the Semi!

Bit strange that Nihat went home and didn't stay around the squad for support and especially because he's captain.....sounds a bit odd IMO:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Turkey will be steamrolled by the efficient German machine.

All the action will undoubtedly off the pitch, trouble is almost guaranteed to kick off between the turks and germans in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nah I don't give them much of a chance. They'll show plenty of spirit but there's too much going against them. Probably 2-0 to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gotsta be a Germany win. You can't but admire what the Turks have achieved so far but suspensions, injuries and the superior German team will all be too much for them to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The Germans should win but I wouldn't write the turks off completely... teams can become galvanized when everything seems to be going against them.

I expect it to be a rubbish game though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Can only see a German win in this one and as someone has already said, you got to admire how far the Turks have come and against the odds at times so hats off to them but Germany should be too strong with all the players missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not 1 vote for Turkey yet!

Obviously I am hoping for a German win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't see past a German win here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's real life Rocky.Given how screwed Turkey are and their penchant for miraculous comebacks so far in this tournament I find it hard to ignore that their is some kind of divine work in action here that will see Turkey crush Germany in a vintage plucky underdog surprises fierce and efficient if a little mechanichal rivals. Turkey to win 2-1 in Man Utd fashion or with an knockout in the dying seconds of the 12th round

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Considering how decimated the Turkish squad is, it'd surely be one of the biggest upset of the tournament for them to win?

The Germans are just so bloody clinical. How can they not win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

All the action will undoubtedly off the pitch, trouble is almost guaranteed to kick off between the turks and germans in Germany.

+1

FFS and I am going to Germany for 2 weeks on Friday. It will be like civil war over there! Although when ze Germans get to the final the place will be banging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

4-0

Germania-ize your fantasy football team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Turkey should be allowed emergency call ups. I want them to win because a guy in my estate is Turkish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

KaG1888 wrote: »
    FFS and I am going to Germany for 2 weeks on Friday. It will be like civil war over there! Although when ze Germans get to the final the place will be banging!

Only if the Germans win. The Turks are awful losers, then went a bit crazy when Portugal beat them so I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens if Germany beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Is it what! They've been setting up the Fan mile again in Berlin(also home of Kreuzberg or "Little Istanbul"), I'll be there to watch it, but with little or no visable signs of support for either team(though I will be supporting Germany). Saying that though, the only trouble I've seen over here has come from German fans themselves. Even when they won their 1st round match against Poland they were throwing bottles at the police. Was down in Kreuzberg to watch the Turkey match the other night and there wasn't a sign of trouble after. On the other hand after Germany knocked out Portugal and a minority of fans started getting a bit "over nationalistic" in their celebrating the riot police showed up. Still can't wait though, the atmosphere there should be unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Id expect Germany to win comfortably but as this tournament has shown you never know maybe its Turkey's year! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I reckon this will be one too many for the Turks, can't see them beating ze Germans with their squad so decimated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Turkey should be allowed emergency call ups. I want them to win because a guy in my estate is Turkish.

Why? Whats the point of nameing squads if you can call up replacements? You'll just set a precident and managers will start taking the piss in future.

They have 11 players, 4 subs and a sub keeper. Thats plenty. (especially for just 1 match :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It would've been a decent game before Turkey lost half the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

We've got to believe! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why? Whats the point of nameing squads if you can call up replacements? You'll just set a precident and managers will start taking the piss in future.

They have 11 players, 4 subs and a sub keeper. Thats plenty. (especially for just 1 match )

I have to agree with this. Also, aren't three players missing through suspension? If so, this is very much a problem of Turkey's own making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Turkey to control the game from midfield 2-0 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Turkey to hold out for 120 mins then win on penos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Germany for me but far far stranger things have happened in football than turkey beating germany:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Germany to win easy imo. I reckon it will be at least a two goal margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

got turkey in the sweep in the pub so hope they do it!!!

as I said I think turkey will win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Shock, horror, i can see the Turks turning the Germans over.

I have not been overly impressed by the Germans as yet, they were well out-played by the Croats and were flattered by the 2-1 scoreline. It took a moment of individual class from Ballack for them to see off a poor Austrian side. And last time out, Germany faced a Portugal side who forgot the art of defending. They were gifted three very soft goals and have been more than fortunate so far. The centre half pairing of Mertesacker and Metzelder are big, awkward and slow and i feel they can be exposed by the Turkish front two of Arda and the pacy Semih. Nihat is undoubtedly a huge loss to the Turks but they beat the Croats with 9 players missing, so having to play without their first team 11 is nothing new to them. The Turks have been improving with every game, they are on a roll and i feel this momentum will carry them into the final. Added to this, the thousands of Turkish people living in Germany, making the Turks even more determined to put one over their old allies.
    I expect it to be a high scoring game, the Turks prevaling by the odd goal in five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

grenache wrote: »
    The centre half pairing of Mertesacker and Metzelder are big, awkward and slow and i feel they can be exposed by the Turkish front two of Arda and the pacy Semih.

Arda is unavailable due to suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

German tank will be too strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Arda is unavailable due to suspension.
    Ooh, errr, wasn't aware of that. :eek: I'm still going for a crescent and star victory though.

yeah me too.

If Turkey somehow win I'll eat this stapler in front of me. They have 13 men & alot of big players out!No chance! . I am sticking €50 on Germany -1 @ 5/4 on pp.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Has to be Germany for this one. Too strong of a squad compared to Turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

If Turkey somehow win I'll eat this stapler in front of me. They have 13 men & alot of big players out!No chance! . I am sticking €50 on Germany -1 @ 5/4 on pp.

I dont expect you to have to do that, as I think Germany will have too much for the Turks, especially without Nihat and Arda, but if you have to eat the stapler, will you video it please?

:o hehe we shall see ! Come on ze Germans!

I'm off to the fan mile in a bit. 500,000 people expected, wish me luck!:D
    It has to be a German victory, but I wouldn't write Turkey totally off.
    I'd say the aftermath will be a tightly contested affair as well, but judging by their previous form I'm going to go with the German(riot police).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hmm. If it's still 0-0 at half time who knows!

The Germans have to be patient and disciplined!

I'd be rooting for Turkey but it would be a total shock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Anyone got odds being offered for a Turkey win?

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Anyone got odds being offered for a Turkey win?
    7/1 at the moment on bet365 and Paddy Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Cool_CM wrote: »
    7/1 at the moment on bet365 and Paddy Power
    Thats not bad , anyone thinks its worth a punt ?

THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY :D

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Thats not bad , anyone thinks its worth a punt ?
    If you were going to put money on Turkey I'd wait to see what the odds are once the match starts. You get some interesting ones on the "In Play" section of bet 365. Unless you had money to burn I wouldn't bet on an outright win though.

Betfair is the best actually as you get people offering ridiculous odds trying to make a few bucks ;) .*Cough Still throwing your money away though* Come on Germany!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Saw those odds earlier and thought it might be a mistake! Very attractive indeed and worth a few cent

Thats what I thought Kenco but I also thought Spain would hop off Italy :(. Fecking 90 minutes FTL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

2-1 to turkey.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Did I hear that turkey are using their 3rd keeper as a foward tonight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement