Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany vs Turkey (Semi Final)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kmart6 wrote: »
    Fairly clear that he means they won't win the final!!

Yeah, but the final is further that every other team in Europe, bar one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Dunphy just called every German team, including mine, ''mickey mouse teams''.
    :mad:
    Believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i think ne must have lost a few quid on the turks tonight

Yeah he's far more anti-Germany, even than his usual self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Ah no BBC is way better I've just listened to Alan Shearer give an overview of eash goal while watching the replays on Lahms goal "what a first touch and what a finish....what a game of football really....it had everything!"

• Advertisement

Ah the RTE lads, you can't beat them. They're just riveting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Dunphy is a wind up merchant that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Bill: "Are you calling Bayern Munich a Mickey Mouse team??"

Eamonn: "Of course I am, Luca Toni is their main Striker!"

:D Excellent!

I hope Apres match are live in the studio cos they'll have some material from this

Agreed
    But RTE is far better than the Beeb, you get the added drama-
    ''If I'd have known you'd say that tonight Eamon, I would've never come on''
    Much better than Andy ''Ah would just love it if Germany lost tonight'' Townsend
    :D

edit: And I have always maintained that Bayern are muck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Dunphy is a wind up merchant that is all.
    That's what he's there for :D

ITT-Pat wrote: »

In fairness, he has it right there!!

How much do you reckon Kazim Richards will be linked to Chelsea for in tomorrows rags....£15million? All them gossip collumnists were probably watching on BBC so will have had the full dose of him. Or are the gossip columns all printed on a sunday morning and then inserted as the week goes on?

gucci wrote: »
    How much do you reckon Kazim Richards will be linked to Chelsea for in tomorrows rags....£15million? All them gossip collumnists were probably watching on BBC so will have had the full dose of him. Or are the gossip columns all printed on a sunday morning and then inserted as the week goes on?
    #
    Wonder would he change his name again... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll end up at Bolton.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Someone should stuff a pair of socks in Dunphy's mouth...

And whats all the talk about "belief":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Kildarered wrote: »
    Has to be Germany for this one. Too strong of a squad compared to Turkey
    That statement didn't stand up to the events in Basle tonight, Turkey, as i expected (depleted or not) were the much better footballing side. The team in red were the ones trying to win the game, the Germans seemed more than content to sit back and nick a goal on the break. Felt really sorry for Turkey, a proper footballing team is gone, and in its place is the ultimate purveyor of puke football - witness the German passing tonight and compare it to that of the Turks! I also felt sorry for myself as i had a few bob on the Turks @ a more than generous price of 7-1.

Expect that Kraut defense to be mercilessly exposed by either Spain or Russia. The tracks will be blown off the German tank on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Great great game.Well done to Germany.I dont know how they do it.How many finals is that now.Amazing.Well done to turkey also,brilliant heart and skill. Dunphy on another rant tonight:D He said Germany would fail against the "big boys", he called Italy one of the big boys after saying only 10 days ago that they were " Rubbish now" and "past it"....brilliant stuff.This guy should do stand up for a career.What a plank

grenache wrote: »
    That statement didn't stand up to the events in Basle tonight, Turkey, as i expected (depleted or not) were the much better footballing side. The team in red were the ones trying to win the game, the Germans seemed more than content to sit back and nick a goal on the break. Felt really sorry for Turkey, a proper footballing team is gone, and in its place is the ultimate purveyor of puke football - witness the German passing tonight and compare it to that of the Turks! I also felt sorry for myself as i had a few bob on the Turks @ a more than generous price of 7-1.

Expect that Kraut defense to be mercilessly exposed by either Spain or Russia. The tracks will be blown off the German tank on Sunday.

Jeees.You should write for a tabloid with comments like that. Krauts,Tanks/ Surprised you didnt mention the dam busters:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dunphy just called every German team, including mine, ''mickey mouse teams''.
    :mad:
    Believe.

On a European level there are no strong teams outside of England, Spain and Italy, and tbh even Italy is debateable. I cant think of any European team outside of Spain that could break the English top 4, including Italians.

Turks deserved the win.

Kazim deserved a goal. I wanted him to score, it would be funny to see The Sun headline tomorrow about the English lad who threw zee Germans out of Europe, and in four years compare it to the headlines when hopfully a Kazim goal sends England out of Euro 2012 (I avoid using WC 2010 as an example, seeing as I hope Capello wont get them to it. Mainly because I dont like Capello)

Dunphy was on fire.

Bills reaction to the unseen German goal, brilliant :D

Apres Match was hilarious for a change.

Bird of the match award: Turkish girl after the equaliser.

Tonights concise match analysis was brought to you by shane86 in association with Bavaria beer.

edit- seeing as I was watching with my German housemate and his bird I didnt mention it at the time, but early on in the match was it just me or were the Turks making a pisstake gay Nazi salute (basically a very limp wristed Nazi mock salute)

Didnt seem appropriate to bring it up with the people I was watching with...... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the Germans seemed more than content to sit back and nick a goal on the break.

in fairness to them it was a strategy that worked. indeed when you have finishers as clinical as Klose and Podolski, and pace on the break from Schweinsteiger and Lahm you'd be hard pressed to find a manger who wouldn't adopt this strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kazim will be staying at Fener where he is appreciated i would imagine. Why pack that in for the bottom end of the Premiership? And why oh why did Motson insist on giving him his full name every time. FFS, may as well have thrown his confirmation name in there for good measure. Moron :rolleyes:

What a game. Absolutely gutted for Turkey. They deserved it, but with a joker like Rustu in goal, it was always an uphill struggle.

Re Dunphy. I wonder how many minutes of the Bundesliga action he watched this season (or in the last 5 years), or how much he saw Bayern in Europe or domestically (or any other German team who didn't play an English side this season)? I would hazard less than 90? I wonder how many times he has seen Luca Toni play bar for Italy? He has no right to comment. But then, he is on the wind, so more power to him for making people, like me I guess, react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Jeees.You should write for a tabloid with comments like that. Krauts,Tanks/ Surprised you didnt mention the dam busters
    :pac:

gimmick wrote: »

Re Dunphy. I wonder how many minutes of the Bundesliga action he watched this season (or in the last 5 years), or how much he saw Bayern in Europe or domestically (or any other German team who didn't play an English side this season)? I would hazard less than 90? I wonder how many times he has seen Luca Toni play bar for Italy? He has no right to comment. But then, he is on the wind, so more power to him for making people, like me I guess, react.
    Thank you
    Dunphy, by his own admission, does not watch much Bundesliga. The German teams aren't doing well in Europe at the moment, but neither are the French, or Dutch, for that matter. I think it's wrong that he should call them ''mickey mouse teams'' to be honest, as he really hasn't watched many of them.
    I'm saying this as a Vfb Stuttgart fan who tries to watch as much Bundesliga as is possible, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

gimmick wrote: »
    Kazim will be staying at Fener where he is appreciated i would imagine. Why pack that in for the bottom end of the Premiership?
    Think I heard mentioned by commentators in previous Turkey games that he's looking for a move back to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

ITT-Pat wrote: »

Dunphy has never seen Toni outside of a big international competition and is apparently to lazy to read up on him. I cannot wait for the first Bayern match against an English side next year in the Champions League. When LT get's his groove on

Bill: "Toni had a very good game for a poor man's Peter Crouch didn't he Eamon"

Eamon: Not at all Bill, if Crouch got the chances Toni did every year, he'd have at least twice the goals Toni does.

Bill: Eamon, are you suggesting Peter Crouch could get at least 62 goals in Serie A?

Eamon:Easily...

Liam: Ah Eamon.....

He's a fool, an entertaining fool but a fool

England must be kicking themselves that they didnt give Kazim 10 minutes at the end of some senior friendly and claim him.

shane86 wrote: »

edit- seeing as I was watching with my German housemate and his bird I didnt mention it at the time, but early on in the match was it just me or were the Turks making a pisstake gay Nazi salute (basically a very limp wristed Nazi mock salute)

Didnt seem appropriate to bring it up with the people I was watching with...... :D
    I saw that as well, and my Turkish mate said it's just something they do at Fenerbahce and Besiktas matches.
    Alegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Jeees.You should write for a tabloid with comments like that. Krauts,Tanks/ Surprised you didnt mention the dam busters:rolleyes:
    Quiet there, fraulein.

• Advertisement

Thank you
    Dunphy, by his own admission, does not watch much Bundesliga. The German teams aren't doing well in Europe at the moment, but neither are the French, or Dutch, for that matter. I think it's wrong that he should call them ''mickey mouse teams'' to be honest, as he really hasn't watched many of them.
    I'm saying this as a Vfb Stuttgart fan who tries to watch as much Bundesliga as is possible, btw.

Dunphy is an idiot.ignore him.He calls them mickey mouse teams and then goes on to say that money is ruining football in his newspaper articles.Oh yeah eamo.So why are all these german teams,french teams,italian teams mickey mouse then?...could it be that your beloved Man Utd,Real Madrid,Chelsea,Barca,Arsenal and to some extent my own Liverpool are earning crazy money from TV rights deals and then buying up all the talent from those countrys..could it eamo.Twit.Im not a fan of German football as i only have the basic channels so dont get to watch it, but dont tell me a country that does as well as the Germans or Italians for that matter play mickey mouse football.Dunphy you are a clown.

England must be kicking themselves that they didnt give Kazim 10 minutes at the end of some senior friendly and claim him.

Are you serious?? The bloke's average to say the least. He's well on his way to becoming a journeyman already

Quiet there, fraulein.

Cool your jets Churchill :cool:

monkey9 wrote: »
    Are you serious?? The bloke's average to say the least. He's well on his way to becoming a journeyman already

What is he, 21, 22? Played somewhat better than Nasri or Benzema who were the two new young lads tipped to set the tournament on fire.

monkey9 wrote: »

Think he looks decent myself.Not world class for sure but not half bad :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Are the votes for Germany winning tonight still rising now? I think so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why? Because he had a decent game? Do you think he'd be at Fenerbache if a decent English side wanted him?
    What is he, 21, 22? Played somewhat better than Nasri or Benzema who were the two new young lads tipped to set the tournament on fire.

The whole French team whas ****e, and neither of them were first picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Benzema is good, he looks very very good in fact. if he keeps progressing the way he is going he will be one of the best in the world within 3 years

Kazim Richards looked alright tonight except for delaying on the ball too much, the whole Turkey team can look good in terms of graft and technical ability.

but he doesnt imo, have the ability or potential of Benzema.

Benzema didnt really get a chance to set the tournament alight, there was no creativity in the midfield whatsoever, excluding Ribery who was playing very advanced, and he was dropped and not even used a sub on a couple of occasions by the nutcase in charge of the french team!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why? Because he had a decent game? Do you think he'd be at Fenerbache if a decent English side wanted him?

Fenerbache aren't exactly the equivalent of a lower league team now. You're forgetting this was a guy who scored in a Champions League quarter final. he has worked his way up from playing lower league football to Champions league and given more than a good account of himself. and remember he's still only 21! plenty of your decent English footballers playing for decent English sides were playing much poorer quality football at his age. He may never be a world class player but it's not unreasonable to think quite a few premiership teams will be having a look at him again given the season he's had.

FFS lost €50 on Germany minus one but still a good game. I nearly had to eat a stapler after my earlier comments ! :p

Anyway, come on Germany! Off to Berlin now on Saturday will be ****ing class for the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Back on topic!

I voted for Germany and they were to be honest brutal.....Turkey did what I thought they would do early on but I did not expect them to score and definately did not expect them to equalise when they went one down.

Well played Turkey and the tournament has been the better for you.

There is part of me that thinks the 'real' german team might show up one of these days but as they only have one game left and played so poorly tonight and got away with it, I really hope Spain or Russia do a job on them in the final...

I really feel it will be Spain and it would be fitting for the great chokers to beat the great survivors in this final.

• Advertisement

kenco wrote: »
    There is part of me that thinks the 'real' german team might show up one of these days but as they only have one game left and played so poorly tonight and got away with it, I really hope Spain or Russia do a job on them in the final...

this is the real German team. they have no real playmakers, and they don't really have the players to play an expansive passing game. they have to play compact and deep because Metzelder and Mertesacker are slow and prone to making errors, if they were to play higher up the pitch they'd become very exposed. they've no pacy sweeper to cut out the counters. but they've good organisation and excellent finishers, so a counter attacking games suits them perfectly. they've rode their luck more often than not, but they have certainly played to their strengths and despite looking poor at times it's paid off. they are in the final. I don't expect to see anything different from them, but i certainly wouldn't expect them to be routed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

KaG1888 wrote: »
    FFS lost €50 on Germany minus one but still a good game. I nearly had to eat a stapler after my earlier comments ! :p
    Anyway, come on Germany! Off to Berlin now on Saturday will be ****ing class for the final!
    Get to the fan mile early on sunday if you're planning to go, it was f*cking jammed tonight. Good laugh though, even if Germany did play sh*te.
    Not much trouble after either, if by not much you dont count getting hit in the chest by a turkish firework, the guy who launched it getting arrested and having to give my details to the polizei(whilst surrounded by many more angry turkish people). Aside from that, good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Shamrok wrote: »
    Are the votes for Germany winning tonight still rising now? I think so. :rolleyes:

Just voted Turkey there for the craic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FFS. Alarm went off at 2.30am for the game but something inside me said 'Germany 4-0' so I said 'Fuck it' and went back asleep. Woke up at 5am and checked the match report on my phone. Absolutely disgusted. The one game I've gotten up for in the knock outs has been feckin Spain/Italy :mad:

Sleep is for the weak I tells ya! No mistakes tonight, I'll be wide awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Congrats Turkey. Nearly did it.

Germany wtf? You defend like that on Sunday and you won't have a prayer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who was turkey right winger? He bought and sold Philip lahm on more than 1 occassion. The number 16 was sh*te though!

COME ON GERMANY! Lovin it. One can only admire the fact that no matter how good/sh1te they are, theyre always there or thereabouts!

Great goals too. Germanys goals were all well worked, I give credit to Klose for getting himself in front of the GK/defence and he has some spring. Lahms goal was amazing and the Schwine's finish was sublime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought it was an entertaining nights viewing for several reasons, not only the football but also the signal loss and the "analysis" on RTE. I caught a bit of the beebs as well.

Turkey did well I thought and can definitely go home with their heads held high, unlike the French for example. Germany are "soft" at the back but Lehman had a bit of a stinker. He was left exposed for their first but should have done better, was unlucky mind you that it went between his legs, and then got caught badly for the 2nd as he should have had that near post covered. Turkey had a few chances, but 2 goals was flattering. They did well overall though and had Germany worried, especially in the 1st half. Germany gave them far too much room to play, 5 yards of space each.

Germany deserved their win though. Schweinsteiger's goal was well worked and well taken, Klose scored a header (what a shock that is) although Rustu was culpable for coming and not getting it, but Lahm's goal was excellent, with good vision by both players for the return pass and well finished.

The RTE panel were funny, funnier than the apres-match sketch that followed them, as Eamo had a barney over "belief". I think many will now be hoping for Germany to win that final, including Brady and Giles, just so Eamo will be forced to eat some humble pie, something which he cannot do time and time again. For the RTE panel, the situation is delicately posied. The Apres-Match guys have loads of potential material now.

Btw, did anybody notice how the commentary audio was way ahead of the images? Its very annoying and was particularly bad last night due to the interruptions and RTE's technical people not syncing it. BBC and ITV normally have their matches better synced than RTE, who usually have the audio slightly ahead, but last night it was more of a gap than usual, and BBC's also got out of sync as well due to the lightning interruptions.

Lightning in Dublin this morning as well .....

Redspider

ps: Xavi, record the matches, then get up at 6 or 7 or whatever and then watch it as IF the match is still live as you wont know the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Thought the part where they related Turkey to Ireland was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I like the bit where Brady said we had lost the reception because we voted "no" to the Lisbon treaty :)

and after Bill assured viewers that there was no pictures anywhere, Dunphy said "you're lying Bill, BBC have pictures!"

quality viewing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement